Gibson Brands Forums

2016 les Paul tribute

Adamc

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and just bought my first LP. Not a high end guitar, but not cheap either. I've always owned strats and love them but I've always wanted a Gibson. With that said, I'm definitely experiencing the G and B string going flat, no matter what I do; stretched the string thoroughly, put higher gauge strings on. So I took it in today, they set it up a little different, adjusted the truss rod a little. So now it again has new strings on it, and if this doesn't solve my problem I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it back and be done with it. That sucks because I really love it, it sounds amazing. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance guys!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the nut slots really deep?

Generally for a Gibson with that huge headstock angle they should be half sitting in the slot and half out (roughly)... if the slot is too deep the strings will bind.. If they are too deep the answer will be to take some of the top of the nut off until they are sitting better (and yes lubricating them can help or get a replacement graphite nut).

Are the nut slots really deep?

Generally for a Gibson with that huge headstock angle they should be half sitting in the slot and half out (roughly)... if the slot is too deep the strings will bind.. If they are too deep the answer will be to take some of the top of the nut off until they are sitting better (and yes lubricating them can help or get a replacement graphite nut).

I don't think they are particularly deep. The bottom wound strings come up a bit over the nut, I don't think the g b and e do though.

Welcome here Adamc.

Don't give up too fast or easy. Some of the things that haven't been discussed yet are temperature and humidity changes. I'd suggest giving at least a week or two for the guitar to stabilize after bringing it into a new environment.

I find that the tuning stability of my Gibsons can be as good as my Fenders, but find the mahogany to be less tolerant to shifts in temperature and humidity than maple. I live in Michigan which means high temps and humidity in the summer, and lower temps and humidity in the winter. While my AC system helps stabilize the temps and humidity in the summer, and my heat and use of room humidifiers helps in the winter, I do keep a close eye on humidity levels in my guitar room all year round. I'm also very careful not to keep my guitars up close to windows, heat sources and AC registers, outside walls, etc. The woods in these guitars does move, and it does become more stable with time, but it does require care to keep them in optimum condition.

So, depending on how long you're had the guitar home, whether the environment you are keeping it in is proper and stable, and how much adjustment it has to make coming from the environment it was in before you brought it home are things to consider.

Good luck, I hope it works out.

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I've had it just under 2 weeks, I live in Michigan as well, so I know what you mean by the temp changes. I am going to exhaust all options before giving up. The guitar sound and plays amazing, and going back to the nut, I did notice a ping noise when turning the peg, so I know it is a fixable issue...hopefully. Thanks again

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I've had it just under 2 weeks, I live in Michigan as well, so I know what you mean by the temp changes. I am going to exhaust all options before giving up. The guitar sound and plays amazing, and going back to the nut, I did notice a ping noise when turning the peg, so I know it is a fixable issue...hopefully. Thanks again

Ping noise usually equals binding at the nut.. Which is usually as I say because the slot is too deep OR it could be that at the back of the nut (headstock side) the slot should roll down to the bridge a bit rather than just being a straight slot in line with the string (if you see what I mean).

I will post some examples for you if you like.

Ohh one quick question... Is your guitar a T or HP model? (HP has the auto tuning)

Hi Adam

I did notice a ping noise when turning the peg, so I know it is a fixable issue...

Common and I'd bet 80/90% of your trouble. The ping sound is string is binding up in those slots as the string moves through as you tune so when you're playing/stretching the string with bends, it's doing the same thing.

To relieve this, you can try putting some Vaseline in those slots, if it stops pining, then now you now.. those slots need to be a little bit wider.

Also, for a permanent solution and as part of your maintenance, Big Bends Nut Sauce is just about the best stuff you can get. Get a tube of it, and use it for every string change and in between changes too. A dab is all you need, the tube will last a long time.

You can get this stuff almost anywhere on line.

http://www.bigbends.com/

............I'm definitely experiencing the G and B string going flat, no matter what I do; stretched the string thoroughly, put higher gauge strings on. So I took it in today, they set it up a little different, adjusted the truss rod a little. So now it again has new strings on it, and if this doesn't solve my problem I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it back and be done with it. That sucks because I really love it, it sounds amazing. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance guys!

By 'higher gauge strings', do you mean heavier? It should have come with 10-46. Are you now using 11-52? 12-53? This could increase the propensity to bind in the nut slots.

Yeah, sounds like pinched nut slots. I've had two Gibsons like that, a ES 335 and a LP Custom. I'd recommend putting 009 - 046 strings on it. Gibson is putting these on factory guitars now. Do that and see if the ping stops and intonation is fine. Or put the 010 - 046 strings back on it. A luthier can also smooth out a pinched nut slot with a few minor strokes of nut file, nut sauce may help too like the other posters said.

Yeah, sounds like pinched nut slots. I've had two Gibsons like that, a ES 335 and a LP Custom. I'd recommend putting 009 - 046 strings on it. Gibson is putting these on factory guitars now. Do that and see if the ping stops and intonation is fine. Or put the 010 - 046 strings back on it. A luthier can also smooth out a pinched nut slot with a few minor strokes of nut file, nut sauce may help too like the other posters said.

oh really? The guy at guitar center told me heavier strings stop the binding lol. I'm so confused, but I'll try going back to 9s. Right now I have 11's

you had a custom that did that?? Aren't those like almost 4 grand? I'd be pissed. I will have someone look at the slots. Thank you!

The guy at guitar center told me heavier strings stop the binding lol

hmm,, yes, experts, rarely,, they are.. in fact the opposite would be true..

they are good at selling stuff, and usually little more.

go back to your setup dude and ask that he widen those two slots.

or just lube them once the lubricant dries out,, you'll know it's time to re-lube.

By 'higher gauge strings', do you mean heavier? It should have come with 10-46. Are you now using 11-52? 12-53? This could increase the propensity to bind in the nut slots.

Yes I meant higher gauge sorry. They are 11s, I had 10s on it and it was still going out of tune

The guy at guitar center told me heavier strings stop the binding lol

hmm,, yes, experts, rarely,, they are.. in fact the opposite would be true..

they are good at selling stuff, and usually little more.

go back to your setup dude and ask that he widen those two slots.

Ok thank you

or just lube them once the lubricant dries out,, you'll know it's time to re-lube.

oh really? The guy at guitar center told me heavier strings stop the binding lol. I'm so confused, but I'll try going back to 9s. Right now I have 11's

Hey Adam, Not sure where in Michigan you are, but if in the Detroit area, I would highly recommend either Motor City Guitar in Waterford or Huber and Breese on the east side. I know and like most of the staff at the local GC's, but not the guys they have sitting behind their repair counters since I do my own adjustments and work. I wouldn't go back to someone that may not have missed a tight nut slot and suggested heavier strings to fix it. The other two shops are top rate.

Ping noise usually equals binding at the nut.. Which is usually as I say because the slot is too deep OR it could be that at the back of the nut (headstock side) the slot should roll down to the bridge a bit rather than just being a straight slot in line with the string (if you see what I mean).

I will post some examples for you if you like.

Ohh one quick question... Is your guitar a T or HP model? (HP has the auto tuning)

It is the T. No auto tuner

Guest Farnsbarns

This is silly. If it pings when tuning we have the answer. Take a sharp pencil and scribble back and forth in the nut slots. Done.

This is silly. If it pings when tuning we have the answer. Take a sharp pencil and scribble back and forth in the nut slots. Done.

I really never had to deal with this before, I had no idea. Now I do, I appreciate the help thank you

Oh I am on the west side. Grand Rapids area. Thanks for the advice, I agree

Try asking other guitar players who they take their guitars to. I'm sure there are a few luthiers or an independent guitar shop in your area. Guitar Center is notorious for bad repair techs.

Gibson paid for having both of my guitars nuts replaced. Both the ES 335 Satin and the LP Custom. Gibson directed the Guitar Center Tech to replace both nuts under warranty, not just widen the slots. This was all within the past year. Both were 2014 guitars purchased brand new with no previous owners and registered by me. Probably the Guitar Center tech that told you to put 11s on it figured by playing the heavier gage strings for a while would wear the pinched nut slots and widen them so then the 10's wouldn't pinch anymore. Normally though a pinched nut is because of string angle at back of the nut to the tuner. That's why Gibson directed the whole nuts be replaced and recut under warranty.

Archived