Gibson Brands Forums

3 Guitar Tests with mic or Aura

BluesKing777

I did 2 tests of my HD28V and D18E retro Martins and posted them on the other forums, so I did a similar test of my 2010 Gibson J45...

I am copying and posting some of the text, so will start at the beginning with the 2006 Martin HD28V test.

After seeing a few threads about pickups for the HD28V, I recorded a track with the same tune played multiple times with different gadgetry through my mixer to iMac/Garageband. (tune from David Hamburger - thanks!)

1. Recorded with eq flat using my Neumann KM184 mic. (now this is the best sound of course and everyone says they want this sound.....but it won't work live without an intelligent sound engineer AND it could amplify people talking down the road let alone in the front seats!)

2. Martin Thinline undersaddle pickup though Aura Spectrum with effect OFF. Then my pedal board has a Boss VE8 next,so I kept it for a bit of reverb and delay.

3. Same as No 2 except I had the Aura image setting on 50%........

4. Same as No 2 except I had the Aura image to 100%.....

5. Just to compare, I ran the guitar with pickup straight to my mixer and to record....

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/test77a-2

And here is a similar track with my Martin D18E Retro.

Similar arrangement of tracks like I did with the first recording with the HD28V....

Same tune I played before too - thanks to David Hamburger! (Though I am getting a bit sick of playing it...phew).

1. Just the mic - Neumann KM184 recorded flat eq > mixer (A&H) > iMac (Garageband).

2. The D18e pickup only through the Aura box setup with no sound image blend. > Mixer etc

3. The D18E with inbuilt Aura at 50% blend to the pickup and run through the Aura for volume etc. > Mixer etc (Image selected was the No 4 Neumann mic image)

4. The D18E with inbuilt Aura at 100% blend to the pickup and run through the Aura for volume etc. > Mixer etc "'''''

5. I disconnected everything and plugged the D18E direct to the mixer/iMac with just the pickup on.

6. I put the inbuilt aura on 100% and also direct to the mixer......

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/test7d

And one more session with my 2010 Gibson J45 this time...

Same tune as above, same gear.

1. Mic only - Neumann KM184

2. Pickup only through Aura DI box (Baggs element with internal preamp). Had to turn it down lots!

3. Pickup with 50% Aura image.

4. Pickup with 100% Aura image.

5. Guitar straight to A&H mixer and out....

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/test7g

BluesKing777.

photos of each guitar may come, may not depending on....PB. [sneaky]

Very cool test. The first track for each guitar sounds like a million bucks every time. Head and shoulders over the other tracks. My second favorite tracks where nr 4 for the HD-28V, nr 4 for the D-18 also, and nr 3 for the J-45.

I found the least difference among tracks two and up on the D-18. Any particular reason for that?

Lars

Very cool test. The first track for each guitar sounds like a million bucks every time. Head and shoulders over the other tracks. My second favorite tracks where nr 4 for the HD-28V, nr 4 for the D-18 also, and nr 3 for the J-45.

I found the least difference among tracks two and up on the D-18. Any particular reason for that?

Lars

Thanks Lars.

Yes, the first tracks of each use the wonderful Neumann KM184 mic, great for my home recording but way too sensitive for live work, so then I would use the Aura setups combined with undersaddle pickups for the 'next best'. Though things always sound different when louder through PA or amp equipment.....just to keep you on your toes.

A lot of people just go with the pickup that is in their guitar when they buy it - the sound of #2 in each test. Yikes.. we need gadgetry! [biggrin]

No idea why the D18 has the least differences, Lars. Perhaps the actual undersaddle pickup is beefed up more at the factory....?

Most people who own the D18E Retros (in built Aura system and controls) just take the guitar and plug straight in to a PA. Though that is the idea of the thing, I like a few more boxes to fiddle with!

BluesKing777.

Archived