Gibson Brands Forums

I need a new pickup

theflyingturtle

My J-45 came with an L.R. Baggs and I don't care for the sound and I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than worry about a battery inside a guitar. I have a K&K Pure Mini that was installed in another guitar and I think it's pretty good. However, for the Gibson I'd like something better. What's good?

I don't care for the battery inside either. For me, I just change them when I change strings. Still, I wish it was quicker when needed. It's also a pain in the *** when the adhesive on the battery pack weakens. Don't care for cutaway models. I know there are a few non-cutaway models with the battery compartment cut into the side, as on a cutaway. I've got the L.R. Baggs Lyric in two of my Gibsons and I like it a great deal. Very easy to install, providing you have the right equipment. Got the Baggs Anthmn in my J100. It's fine, but I find the Lyric to have a stronger sound and easier to get the sound I like. Don't have a Fishman at the moment, but I hear good things about them. I'm guessing that most of these "better" pickups have the battery inside of the guitar.

I've had no issues with the Fishman's and or the L.R. Baggs which are onboard on my Gibson/Martin.

Which spec'd for the type of acoustics you have so I don't bother replacing/pulling them out. Just EQ the box up right and tight and I'm good!

But all in fairness? I've yet to try the K&K PM.

Trans

I love the Trance Audio pickups - and there's one that doesn't require an onboard battery, but it does require a source of Phantom Power, from your mixer or a small box ($20) http://www.tranceaudio.com/amuletmphantom.html

I have the Trance Mono at the top of my list. It is as close to a pure 'Plug-N-Play' as Ive known. Its in my D-35.

The LR Baggs Lyric is second on my list, but has that onboard battery you don't want.

I have a K&K Pure Mini in my J-50, and think its a bit over-rated - especially with a techno dweeb like me. I have trouble dialing out the 'woof' . When I get the $$$ and the time, the K&K will likely be scraped out, and a Trance installed.

That's my 2 cents.

Dazzo pickups are worth investigating...They sound SO natural and work well with overtone-heavy guitars which-in my experience-K&K don't. I find K&K gear works best in dry sounding guitars and they sound wonderful in vintage instruments-my '67 J45 sounds just perfect with the Pure Mini in it. The Dazzo is definitely more 3D though.

Dazzo pickups are worth investigating...They sound SO natural and work well with overtone-heavy guitars which-in my experience-K&K don't. I find K&K gear works best in dry sounding guitars and they sound wonderful in vintage instruments-my '67 J45 sounds just perfect with the Pure Mini in it. The Dazzo is definitely more 3D though.

Hey, Jinder! Have a K&K pm in my J35. Good transparent sound. No complaints. But its another dry box.

Hey, Jinder! Have a K&K pm in my J35. Good transparent sound. No complaints. But its another dry box.

Hey Rambler, long time no speak! I really like K&K gear and would happily put a PM in most of my guitars, but I remember my old AJ didn't jive well with a K&K, the overtones tended to dilute the way the pickup heard the fundamentals and made the guitar sound "far away" when plugged in.

Having said that, that guitar was a massive PITA to amplify full stop...I eventually put a Wavelength Dual Source in it which was just about the best suited pickup for it, but it involved much fenagling with the long saddle etc.

My '07 FORD RANGER will ! As long the battery is good!

Ranger's a good truck, and you have 6 years before it catches up with my Chevy's current age - so I expect you won't have to worry for a while. I'm not too prejudiced between Ford and Chevy like some are.

My '01 Silverado can't last forever (dammit!).

It could. Just replace any part that goes bad .... do this until you die or it does.

Reminds me ...... I had a 03 Silverado in great shape and relatively low miles (150K). I came in from the garage one day and told my wife "I think I want to buy me a new pickup. To which she replied "I WANT YOU TO HAVE A NEW PICKUP". Believe me, I didn't let the screen door hit me in the a** before I was out the door and back with a new 2015 Silverado. I wonder if she meant a new Fishman or K & K rather than a Chevrolet PU? Too late now, darlin'! Either way, she and the Chev are keepers. Hope to have both until I leave this world.

Archived