Gibson Brands Forums

What made you like Gibson guitars?

Seb1968

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The price. Gives me bragging rights over those who only can afford an Epiphone (says he who also owns Epiphone Dot, ES-175, LP GoldTop Plus and SG400)

Nah, the LP Studio Pro is just nice to play as is the J-45 but so are other guitars I have in my stable.

I'd guess probably Angus Young playing the cherry red SG around 1980 - at least got me liking the SG shaped guitars.

My '69 Epi made me realise how much greater a guitar can be when the manufacturer puts some thought and workmanship into the small design aspects that help you play better.

Having said that, there's probably way more Gibsons I don't particularly like than those I do, as evidenced even just by the Gibson product of the day thread. As others have said, when they get it right they do it brilliantly. [thumbup]

Growing up listening to the raw unabashed sound of southern rock got me interested in guitar. Now at the time I started getting into music I didn't play guitar but soon thereafter I took it up and like most I started with a entry level squire guitar and just like every other fender I've ever played they just don't feel right in my hands. I know others love strats and tele's but I just don't dig em. The first time I played a Gibson all was right with the world. That deep gutteral, ballsy, window rattlin' sound that rolls out of a Gibson is one of a kind. Like many here have stated before Gibson isn't without their flaws but when you get a good one it's simply impossible to dislike. Call me blindly loyal or a brand junkie but I can say with 95% certainty if it's a Gibson I'll probably like it!!.....and then I'll probably buy it!! Haha.

The look, the sound, all the artists who played them. I also like the scale length, the 3 per side tuners, and the control layout. The other thing I like about Gibsons is the "organic" feel they have compared to most other guitars. Most guitars feel like they're cookie-cutter clones, mass produced with no human touch. Gibsons have always felt like they were a little more hand made. No two are exactly alike (that can be good or bad). I feel like I'm getting a unique instrument with each individual Gibson guitar.

I became fascinated with Gibsons when I tried a friend's Explorer back in 1983. I thought guitars were just guitars until I tried that through a Marshall 1/2 stack. From that point on, owning a Gibson was my goal. It took me 31 years to get that first Gibson and only 3 for the next 35.

Snowy White when he played with Roger Waters for The Wall show at Potsdamer Platz in '91. He had Rick DiFonzo doing the Gilmour leads on a Strat copy. I thought Snowy's guitar ('57 Goldtop) looked unique during a period of Floyd Roses and superstrats. Also, he had a very breathy-bluesy tone that was a great contrast to Rick's compressed and delay-soaked Strat sound. I caught some more Roger vids later on with Snowy and his tone and playing never really changed. Really made me think of the Les Paul as a one-of-a-kind, which it really is, design-wise. Gary Moore blew the doors open later on. Love Fenders and all, but a Les Paul is home.

Leave it to the old guy to be politically incorrect, but...

I'd say it's not "Gibson" as much as "Gib-Epi" physical playability. That's both electric and acoustic.

It's the shapes and playing geometry. Other pickers may and should disagree, 'cuz we ain't all the same.

Now personally, I've never cared for the LP shape and find it difficult to play comfortably, where the SG somehow feels "right" and my only "board" guitar is a Guild S100c, pretty much an SG clone from the 1970s I'll not give up. The shape somehow works whether sitting and playing fingerstyle jazz or messing with the controls to play rock/country in a saloon gig, whatever.

I like a 24 3/4 scale. I love the body dimensions and feel of the ES175, the Epi clone or even the Eastman AR371. They have half-played themselves.

The Epi and Eastman ain't Gibsons, but I look at it more this way: My wife is just about perfect whether she's dressed and "made up," or ready to go deer hunting; and when she's in full battle-rattle, is and has been super-cute for over 40 years. But its what she is that I like, not the outside dressing that guitar-wise are like abalone or gold plating.

Yes, the Epis and my Eastman aren't Gibsons, nor is my 1970s Ibanez "patent infringement" 175 clone, although they're not "cheap crap guitars," but I doubt anyone hears much difference. Frankly I don't feel any real difference.

To me, there are certain guitar designs that help me play, and others that don't. Fender electrics don't. Gib-Epi designs do.

I'd add that I haven't had access to a Gibson collection to try out in decades, well over 40 years. There's no question in my mind that buying a Gibson is inevitably an "art" choice more than really a pragmatic one. But that's not a bad point. They're great instruments; they're archetypes of a number of musicians' choices for a huge range of expression.

I've played a lot of brands, a lot of individual guitars, though, and I'd rather have an Epi version of a Gibson than any Taylor, Martin, Fender, at any price simply on a basis of feel due to overall design.

On the other hand, Mother Maybelle's big old acoustic archtop is/was a testament to Gibson longevity and quality - but I didn't really feel comfortable with the size and shape if she gave it to me when she let me mess with it a bit back in the mid-late '60s. But she surely could make it dance with her musically.

Now if I get my left hand back functioning at even 50 percent for pickin', and I hit a Gibson that helped me play?

Absolutely worth it as a playing artwork.

Until then, I'll be messing most likely with a single-pup Eastman 175 clone that still sits in the bedroom or a little small-body, short scale Epi AE that's in my "man cave," or perhaps even the old Guild.

m

Way back in 1969 I couldn't afford much but wanted an electric Guitar. I went to just everywhere looking but everything was too expensive. I decided to hit the Pawn Shops in Wash. D.C.

I couldn't afford any of those either.

I was about to give up when one of my Band members asked what that Guitar was way back hidden on a shelf in the back of the Shop? The guy didn't even want get it down. But finally did. It was a beat up old thing but played good & sounded good. I asked how much? He said, how much you got? Being naive I said $70.00. He said that's exactly how much it is.

Turned out it was a mid to late 50's Gibson Les Paul Jr. It was a really great Guitar but wasn't new, shiny & didn't fit my shiny cool image. So, I sold it for $100.00.

I should've kept it because it was one of those rare Guitars that had that Sound.

I've bought many Gibson's since. They have been real beauties & great playing & sounding Guitars. I still have a great collection. But, I can't say any of them played or sounded better than that cheap Pawn Shop Special.

Glenn

First, it was seeing Jimmy Page playing a Les Paul that got me into Gibsons....

... and then, Robbie Kreiger's SG sealed the deal for me.

I can understand that, and Jimmy Page had some beautiful Les Pauls, and although there have been some great Les Paul players, I think it would be fair to say that Jimmy Page immortalised the GIbson Les Paul, the same way you could say that Angus Young immortalised the SG.

...I think it would be fair to say that Jimmy Page immortalised the GIbson Les Paul...

Careful, Seb; you're decade is showing!

msp_smile.gif

For most folks of your (and my own) generation Page is the Les Paul player who first comes to mind.

For slightly younger folks it's Joe Perry. For younger still it's Slash...etc...etc...

For folks slightly older than your (and my own) generation it would be Claptongreenbloomfield.

For those of my father's generation? It would be Les Paul himself...

msp_wink.gif

Pip.

Easy one. My cousin who taught me how to play had one. It was gorgeous and I always wanted one since and that was at 13. So I finally got my first and only Gold Top at 60. I would love to have another Gibson. Hopefully one day it will be a Lucille. msp_thumbup.gif

When I was a kid, I read the liner notes on one of my KISS albums. There was a comment something like "KISS uses Gibson guitars and Pearl drums, because they only want the best." How could I not want a Gibson after that? :rolleyes:

Yup I too read the liner notes and saved up for my first Les Paul as a wide eyed 15yr, I wanted a Les Paul with a burst and did not care what it was as long as it was a Gibson. I purchased a brand new Les Paul Deluxe with all that hard earned money. Then Van Halen came along and I installed a Kahler whammy on it so I could do dive bombs. Lol . The guitar is long gone but I still love Gibsons and Les Paul's.

Rory Gallagher? Gibson? Did they ever shake hands? [confused]

Did he ever play anything else?...

Rory-LP2_zpsqofr1pzn.jpg

msp_biggrin.gif

That's the very same pose I adopt when I try to play 'Stairway' as well. Nice to know I'm in good company (my tongue is usually sticking out, though).

Looks like he has a H H 2x12 in the background. VS Musician, perhaps???.............eusa_think.gif

And where is the 'forward' strap button?

Pip.

I'd say it's not "Gibson" as much as "Gib-Epi" physical playability. That's both electric and acoustic.

It's the shapes and playing geometry. Other pickers may and should disagree, 'cuz we ain't all the same.

I like a 24 3/4 scale. I love the body dimensions and feel of the ES175, the Epi clone or even the Eastman AR371. They have half-played themselves.

The Epi and Eastman ain't Gibsons, but I look at it more this way: My wife is just about perfect whether she's dressed and "made up," or ready to go deer hunting; and when she's in full battle-rattle, is and has been super-cute for over 40 years. But its what she is that I like, not the outside dressing that guitar-wise are like abalone or gold plating.

I've played a lot of brands, a lot of individual guitars, though, and I'd rather have an Epi version of a Gibson than any Taylor, Martin, Fender, at any price simply on a basis of feel due to overall design.

m

I find it hard to disagree with you in most cases, m, but in this case, I do... sort of.

I own an Epic Dot and a 335. I've played a couple of Joe Pass Epis and 175s, and I have to say that Epis just don't have the same "presence" or "feel" or "aura" or "(build) quality." All things being equal, if I closed my eyes, I might not be able to tell the difference. There's just something about a Gibson.

The feel of the guitar especially its neck and fretboard of an LPM in a shop near where I work. I didn't buy that particular one, but after trying it, I just had that fretboard and the solid feel of the guitar in my mind. I've since bought three LPs with similar feel. Can't put my finger on what it is, but they have it and my foreign made guitars and Fenders don't.

Archived