Gibson Brands Forums

What made you like Gibson guitars?

Seb1968

I'll be the least politically correct, probably.

My guitar heroes were all over the place, so the types of guitars were not all the same. I might see a Martin, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, or Guild depending on who it was. David Gilmour, Angus Young, and Ace Frehley topped my list as a teen. Before I knew or cared about the politics of my guitar heroes, Ted Nugent was one of my favorites. When you go see a show and the guy comes out, playing with one hand while swinging from a vine with another and wearing a loin cloth?!?!?! That was one dude who was comfortable in his sexuality. When I had saved enough to buy a guitar, I remember seeing guys like REO's Gary Ritchrath, Foreigner's Mick Jones, and of course, The Space Ace Frehley himself slinging Les Pauls.

I've been through a plethora of makes and models over the years since that '79 LP, but I always get pulled back. It's not just the feel, but the sound, the controls, the look... Everything about the Les Paul. I get one and I want another. It's like Pringles!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did he ever play anything else?...

Rory-LP2_zpsqofr1pzn.jpg

msp_biggrin.gif

That's the very same pose I adopt when I try to play 'Stairway' as well. Nice to know I'm in good company (my tongue is usually sticking out, though).

Looks like he has a H H 2x12 in the background. VS Musician, perhaps???.............eusa_think.gif

And where is the 'forward' strap button?

Pip.

Ha! Ya said it yourself Pip. The strap button not attached to the strap. PhotoShop. Also the shirts all wrong. It should be checkered, and he rolled the sleeves up higher than that. [flapper]

Ziggy...

I'm not turned on that much by the Joe Pass Epi either. If nothing else, it feels different. A few folks have gone on record in the forum, however, that they'd not swap their JP for a 175. That's because of their "feel" for an instrument. And Epi 175 copies have varied even more than Gibsons through the years.

My point is that to me it's playing geometry.

Frankly I wasn't that turned on by the 175 at first, regardless Gibson or in the mid '70s the excellent "patent infringement" Ibanez.

That changed about 15 years ago when I messed around with string choices that actually fit my playing far better than "the traditional jazz guitar" choices. The minute I had the 9-42 "on," and plugged in, there was a discovery that for me, this was "the" guitar. The real Gibson, a better Epi piece and the Eastman copy all "fit" in that sense.

Again, that's me, my average overall body size and shape and arms shorter than average, as in 32-inch sleeves are too long for me in a dress shirt purchase.

Is the Gibson almost certainly a better quality of parts and artisan construction than options today or 40 years ago? Yeah, with some variations on individual instruments.

But that's not really what I'm talking about.

And again, to me it's the actual geometry of the instrument to the player, and that's my priority along with the more pragmatic of one's purchase decisions.

A lot also has to do not just with the player's physical body with the overall guitar geometry, but also with the playing geometry given how a given player uses left and right hands, string choices, etc.

I return again to my perspective on the LP: Even the best quality, fanciest edition of an LP simply doesn't fit me, either standing in a band or sitting for a solo instrumental or instrumental/vocal. I can appreciate a lot about the LP, but it just doesn't fit me. You could give me one and it simply wouldn't get played. A 175 probably would, but with my strings and setup to get it working for me personally.

One might note that the 175 Gibson made for Joe Pass, there were some slight personal variations to the instrument that Pass wouldn't really be specific on, and that he noted are not a "Joe Pass Special" 175. It was a one-off for him to reflect yet more closely his geometry and playing style. A one-pup archtop often gets bad comments too, but having used one on stage for a wide range of saloon band material in my area in the '70s. I'm not one to take that tack given amplification options.

For what it's worth, in other circumstances I've also not really cared about the appearance of guitars I played at home or on stage since around 1972 so much as appropriateness to what I was doing. The AE IMHO also brought me a totally different perspective on guitars and setups for what I was doing.

To me also, the major weakness in ways of the Gibson electrics is the normal lack of a master volume. Otherwise again, archetypes of instruments most appropriate for many, many pickers, and why they're so often copied in varying quality.

m

Gibsons were what most my first guitar heroes played, so that was imprinted on my teenage psyche early on. When I got to play Gibsons and Fenders and other quality brands I found the feel of Gibsons appealed to me more, as well as the sound. The neck angle is a significant part of the feel, much different from brand F. And I've never been a fan of thin-sounding pickups. Humbuckers were the voice that spoke to me from the start.

The feel of the guitar especially its neck and fretboard of an LPM in a shop near where I work. I didn't buy that particular one, but after trying it, I just had that fretboard and the solid feel of the guitar in my mind. I've since bought three LPs with similar feel. Can't put my finger on what it is, but they have it and my foreign made guitars and Fenders don't.

Bingo.

Though I had owned a L-6S previously.....for me it was a stock wine-red LP custom I borrowed, late 80s or early 90s. Always remembered that.

Also the shirts all wrong. It should be checkered, and he rolled the sleeves up higher than that. [flapper]

I'm all dewey eyed, m-e.

I was young(ish), OK? But we used to play 'Cradle Rock', 'Messing with the Kid', 'Too Much Alcohol', 'Brute Force and Ignorance' (and at least a dozen more RG staples) and more often than not I did wear a check shirt with the sleeves rolled up past the elbows. My hair wasn't anywhere near as curly as Rory's but it was as long if not longer and I LOVED Rory's mix of pure blues and basic rock.

"Irish Tour '74" is to a large part, for me, what 'Appetite for Destruction' was to become for a younger generation.

Rory was Very Special.

Pip.

Careful, Seb; you're decade is showing!

msp_smile.gif

For most folks of your (and my own) generation Page is the Les Paul player who first comes to mind.

For slightly younger folks it's Joe Perry. For younger still it's Slash...etc...etc...

For folks slightly older than your (and my own) generation it would be Claptongreenbloomfield.

For those of my father's generation? It would be Les Paul himself...

msp_wink.gif

Pip.

Forest Richard Betts, Billy Jones, Joe Walsh.

rct

In no particular order:

Tony Iommi

Jimmy Page

Angus Young

Duane Allman

Dickie Betts

Gary Rossington

Allen Collins

Eric Clapton (LP, SG and ES-335 eras)

Jeff Beck (Blow by Blow LP era)

Johnny Winter

B.B. King

Albert King

Billy Gibbons

Alex Lifeson

Many others not mentioned.

Right around the time of the rise of KISS, and their album liner notes endorsing Gibson guitars, it was ELO's Jeff Lynne.

I saw him on some television program playing a Gibson Les Paul gold top, and then not too many months later, there in the mid-1970's, I bought a 1971 Gibson Les Paul gold top Deluxe.

I was just a teenager, and I had saved up all my money to buy that guitar.

Loved that guitar, and loved the music of Jeff Lynne.

Still do.

:)

96715669.jpg

When I saw this back in 1991, aged 7. Hooked on Gibson guitars ever since. I've told that story many times, so won't bore you all with it again! Oddly, I never much cared for Wings though (or Paul McCartney).

Then the following year hearing/ seeing this for the first time...

Angus Young, Graham Oliver and Jake E Lee are the reasons why I bought my SG. But after that I began to appreciate the resonance, shorter scale, playability, feel and sense of craftsmanship that you get with a Gibson (compared to the other well known brand that screws pieces of very hard wood together and charges a fortune for the privilege).

Angus Young, Graham Oliver and Jake E Lee are the reasons why I bought my SG. But after that I began to appreciate the resonance, shorter scale, playability, feel and sense of craftsmanship that you get with a Gibsom (compared to the other well known brand that screws pieces of very hard wood together and charges a fortune for the privilege).

If you can't make a Fender sound good, practice.

If you can't make a Gibson sound good, quit.

rct

"If you can't make a Fender sound good, practice.

If you can't make a Gibson sound good, quit."

rct

Well said rct. I like that.

I was always a Fender Strat guy. I loved, and still do, its shimmer, chime, and low end especially when hooked up to my Fender amp. I like the slim contoured body and maple neck. I tried a few LP's here and there but always went back to my Strat. A few years ago, I tried a another friend's LP. It had a balanced, warm tone and on overdrive had plenty of crunch and power. Also, I really liked the ebony fingerboard and 24 3/4" scale which contributes to the warm tone. The LP felt easier to play too. So I had to buy a Les Paul and for years I've play it far more than my beloved Strat. Go figure. Now I'm looking for an SG. I'll go to GC or somewhere else and play some. Anyone have a favorite SG so I can be sure to give it a try?

• 4 weeks later...

Enough said....

acefrehley1976.jpg

Ace Frehley for me too was one of my first exposures to Gibson guitars. I loved the Les Pauls he played. The one I liked the most and remembered the most was the one on the cover of KISS Alive! My new 2017 LP Standard Bourbon Burst is similar in color. However, the first Gibson for me was a Flying V purchased in 1984 and it's because Paul Stanley had one and I thought it looked cool back in the mid 70's. I chose the V first when I found one that I could afford. My first Les Paul was 33 years after purchasing the V, and 5 years after purchasing my second V. They last near forever if you take reasonably good care of them. I've played a lot of other Gibsons over the years, as well as other brands such as Fender, Ibanez, Kramer, BC Rich, Jackson, Charvel and others. My three main Gibson guitars continue to be my favorites over all the others, which I why I own them and only played the others. I love the feel, the sound, the look and playability. I pretty much drive people crazy when I go to a music store and all I need to do is pick one up, even if it's a Gibson and either say "Nope" or play it for a while.

I couldn't even name all the influences I've had over the years but a fair amount of them played Gibsons.

I didn't know what to get when I first decided to play electric.

I bought a 94 Les Paul by chance. That's like your first girlfriend being THE ONE.

As you can imagine, every other guitar I tried was like, "WTF is this?! Why do all guitars sound sucky compared to my LP?"

It was the tone of that Les Paul that made me think Gibson is the reason LP's sound boss. The I realized I love HBs.

I can't play a heavy LP for very long though :(

I saw the lead singer of Babes in Toyland and the lead singer of Veruca Salt both playing an SG and not only that but I knew they were playing a mid-70s versions of that guitar. I tried the newer and expensive re-issues of the SG but didn't like the neck. Turned out the '73 SG was just my thing. A-MaZing guitar. I knew if this scrawny girl could handle an SG, so could I!

Veruca%20Salt_1.jpg

Izzy...

Good to see you back...

Hope you're still pickin'!

m

OMG MILOD!!

I am so happy to see you on here :)

Heck yeah, I'm still at it...

I use a drum machine now and my timing is way better.

That was your suggestion so, THANKS [thumbup]

Archived