Gibson Brands Forums

What made you like Gibson guitars?

Seb1968

Izzy...

Super that things are working for you.

I got a kick out of the term "drum machine," since for a while in the mid '70s when this other guy and I were looking for a human drummer, we used one from that era for a two-or-three gig a week as a saloon house band. If used right folks didn't really think about it, and we kept things moving.

That old analog outfit still is packaged and I still have it. Any "drum machine" has many weaknesses compared to even a half-decent human drummer, but it's more fun to practice with, I'm sure, than a metronome.

All my best.

m

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These guys. I started playing guitar at 8 years old after seeing the KISS: THE LAST KISS concert on Direct TV Pay Per View back in 2000. Begged for a guitar. I remember asking my dad what kind of guitar Ace was playing and he said, "Gibson Les Paul." and so I've been hooked ever since. Plus, the look, sound, feel, playability, and quality.Obviously an iconic brand, too, haha.

ZyDyguR.jpg

These guys. I started playing guitar at 8 years old after seeing the KISS: THE LAST KISS concert on Direct TV Pay Per View back in 2000. Begged for a guitar. I remember asking my dad what kind of guitar Ace was playing and he said, "Gibson Les Paul." and so I've been hooked ever since. Plus, the look, sound, feel, playability, and quality.Obviously an iconic brand, too, haha.

ZyDyguR.jpg

1486781293[/url]' post='1834099']

Right around the time of the rise of KISS, and their album liner notes endorsing Gibson guitars, it was ELO's Jeff Lynne.

I saw him on some television program playing a Gibson Les Paul gold top, and then not too many months later, there in the mid-1970's, I bought a 1971 Gibson Les Paul gold top Deluxe.

I was just a teenager, and I had saved up all my money to buy that guitar.

Loved that guitar, and loved the music of Jeff Lynne.

Still do.

:)

96715669.jpg

Welcome back Sparky. Nice to see you here again. msp_thumbup.gif

I know the genesis of my Gibson love was in the early 70s soon after I started playing. My parents, hoping to foster sticking with something that wasn't easy in order to character build, bought me a mid 60's Melody Maker. I must have developed an admiration for Gibson guitars at the store that sold it and where I used to hang around a lot.

My biggest influences were the already frequently aired Kossoff, Green, Page, Clapton at his best and Thin Lizzy. When I was at School everyone had a Les Paul copy from makers like Ibanez and CSL and now I just find the "classic" Gibson control layout is just perfect, it gives me all the options that I need, and nothing else sounds like a Les Paul or a 335.

I also have a Wife who wouldn't entertain the idea of having a Fender, She doesn't want "anything that ugly in the house" (I've often wondered how I get in!) which is fine, I can have any Les Paul etc that I want which is an arrangement that I can live with O:)

Ian

but what made you like or prefer Gibson guitars?

Initially it was probably vanity and wanted to be the only kid that had a Gibson (SG200).

Today I just like the way the necks and fret-boards feel, but mostly I have yet to buy a new Gibson that's had any functional or structural issues.... Only thing I would recommend is Gibson going back to ABR1 bridges on all Les Pauls. That new Nashville thing is as wide as some small harmonicas..... aesthetically hard to look at.

Half descent guitar that actually stays in tune. Better recordings Trusted brand!

Initially years ago i thought it would allow me to get better. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't improving. I thought it was because i was playing an imitation strat.i went all out for the gibby but it Didn't work and wound up parting out with it. That was 25 years ago

Archived