Gibson Brands Forums

Jazz Hendrix?

L5Larry

Good jazzy treatment. Shows what can be done with Hendrix.

One thing often left to the side with Hendrix is just how good he was as a lyricist. This jazz version really brings the lyrics out.

Nice.

Great singer - sounds a bit like Mark Murphy.

Interesting the way the drummer plays compared to Mitch, whose original drum part perhaps sounded 'jazzier' due to his use of brushes.

There have been a few jazz covers of Hendrix - Brad Mehldau does "Hey Joe":

Some years back British jazz wunderkind Jamie Cullum did "The Wind Cries Mary":

A lot of people hated him for it but...it's ok...he's a bit over-confident, that's all. Good musician.

I still have the 'Gil Evans plays Hendrix' LP which...hmmm...a bit of a misfire IMO.

There have been a few jazz covers of Hendrix - Brad Mehldau does "Hey Joe":

I still have the 'Gil Evans plays Hendrix' LP which...hmmm...a bit of a misfire IMO.

Dealing with the second point first; yes, I have the Gil Evans thing and it's not great but from what I can remember Jimi was working with Gil on several works before JH died and the published cuts were not what was meant to be the finished works. The tracks released were exploratory/experimentary cuts made as the pairing got to know each other and were probably(*) never intended to see the light of day had Jimi's life gone on as it should.

...and FWIW Hendrix, himself, was doing a cover-version when he recorded "Hey Joe".

On 'Are You Experienced' the song-writing credit is for 'Roberts' (Billy Roberts).

Pip.

* My guess - completely unsubstantiated.

I'm not sure I even I would call this a jazz rendition, but it sure is unique. Hearing this on the radio was my introduction to this guitar player, Tuck Andreas.

As for "Hey Joe", I always thought of it as a Byrds song, but I found out there was recorded versions of that song even before the Byrds.

Dealing with the second point first; yes, I have the Gil Evans thing and it's not great but from what I can remember Jimi was working with Gil on several works before JH died and the published cuts were not what was meant to be the finished works. The tracks released were exploratory/experimentary cuts made as the pairing got to know each other and were probably(*) never intended to see the light of day had Jimi's life gone on as it should.

...and FWIW Hendrix, himself, was doing a cover-version when he recorded "Hey Joe".

On 'Are You Experienced' the song-writing credit is for 'Roberts' (Billy Roberts).

Pip.

* My guess - completely unsubstantiated.

Yes, and yes.

Had JH lived he would have asked for considerable changes to the scores I think. Until his death, Evans continued to play arrangements of Hendrix tunes with his bands in concert; "Little Wing", "Voodoo Chile", "Up From the Skies", "Angel" and "Stone Free".

Archived