Gibson Brands Forums

Best years for the Gibson J-45?

KeThomas91

I have this strange obsession to own an acoustic guitar built the year I was born. I have no idea the fate of this instrument after it is acquired, but I've always wanted a quality acoustic that has stood up to time as long as I have that I can be the caretaker of for the rest of my life.

I also want a slope shoulder J-45. I owned one many years ago and nothing else really sounds like a J-45. I've been saving up to buy a new 2013-2014 model, however sticking with the idea of getting a guitar from my birth year I'm also thinking about a 1976 model. I haven't really heard anything good or bad about the late 70s model J-45's. In general I've heard some nasty comments about acoustic guitars manufactured in the US from the late 70s, but wanted to know opinions here from those who have some first hand experience.

The main issue I have with a 1976 J-45 is that it is a square shoulder guitar instead of the slope shoulder that to me makes the J-45 so iconic. So you wouldn't get a slope shoulder if you get a '76. Also some feel the guitars those years were overbuilt which killed the tone. I do have a friend who has a 70's square shoulder version and it sounds great, but I just don't like the look! It's a deal breaker for me. YMMV.

Best year for 45's is a huge question and the just as big answer is to be found here on these pages.

I won't go there, it's too expensive, but suggest you zoom in on something from after 1995.

Various waves and years will be different, but you'll find a good J-45 there.

If you dream vintage then travel back to the low side of 1968. But in my perception they don't get better and better the older they are.

Fx I played a couple 1964's with adjustable saddle, which were preferred to my 1959'er.

The model saw light of day in 1942.

Not only those with a old fashioned banner on the headstock, but the entire first decade is considered to be sheer gold.

Good luck ^ the hunt will be fun

I'm of a similar vintage to you, and while the idea of a birth-year guitar appeals, there are very few actual guitars from my birth year which do.

Martins have a rep for being a bit meh in this period, and Gibsons are held in even lower esteem. The electrics from the Norlin era find some defenders, but not many. The acoustics even fewer.

But for you a better birth-year Gibson flat-top might be one in this vein:

MK35

Not exactly a classic either, but more interesting as a piece of design history than a mid-'70s J45. The concept at least gets some respect.

If you like the acoustic sound of mid-'90s Paul Weller, though, you might like a 1970s J45.

A 1974 J-50 was my first acoustic guitar... but I have a few years on you, I had just finished graduate school then. ;) Didn't do a very good job of caring for it, but I kept it all these years. It became unplayable 5 years ago, so I had a luthier do major work. It came back sounding better than when it was new - when I picked it up I asked if he ran into any problems working on the guitar. He said the only "problem" was that he didn't want to give it back to me. :)

I haven't played it much recently, but it has always been my son in law's favorite guitar (he is a millenial). So now he has it on extended loan, would rather have him play it than let it sit in the closet. But many people look down on the 70's Gibsons. I understand the issues, but some people just like that sound. For one thing, my 1974 J-50 is really LOUD. If you do like the guitars from this period, it has always looked like a buyer's market to me. You should be able to find something pretty nice in the $1000-$1500 range, even at Guitar Center.

A 1974 J-50 was my first acoustic guitar... but I have a few years on you, I had just finished graduate school then. ;) Didn't do a very good job of caring for it, but I kept it all these years. It became unplayable 5 years ago, so I had a luthier do major work. It came back sounding better than when it was new - when I picked it up I asked if he ran into any problems working on the guitar. He said the only "problem" was that he didn't want to give it back to me. :)

I haven't played it much recently, but it has always been my son in law's favorite guitar (he is a millenial). So now he has it on extended loan, would rather have him play it than let it sit in the closet. But many people look down on the 70's Gibsons. I understand the issues, but some people just like that sound. For one thing, my 1974 J-50 is really LOUD. If you do like the guitars from this period, it has always looked like a buyer's market to me. You should be able to find something pretty nice in the $1000-$1500 range, even at Guitar Center.

So there you go. To the original poster, a birth year J-45 from the 1970's may not be the best J-45 you could own, but if a birth year J-45 is what you want, try some out, and if you find a good one, buy it and enjoy. The advantage of Gibsons from the mid-19070s is that they are relatively cheap, and despite their generally-mediocre reputation, there are some good ones out there.

My birth year is 1966...

I think the only birth-year guitar I'd consider is a Martin, but I'm not hung up on that. I actually want no reminder of my age. Good luck though. Maybe pick up some nice vinyl albums from your birth year that you like? Boston? Hotel California? Or is that '77? Jackson Brown? Bruce? Beatles? Dylan?

Properly constructed, a 1970's Gibson acoustic can be a real sleeper. My luthier had a couple completely unassembled 70's flattops that he got from the Kalamazoo plant just prior to the move. They turned out to be amazing. He didn't change the components, but did give attention to the kind of details that employees during the 70's weren't allowed to do. That said, there are plenty of regular production examples out there, reasonably priced, and if you have the patience to play a bunch of them you might find a good'n.

I bought a 2016 model because I couldn't find an older model that was in good shape and didn't cost a fortune or need a bunch of work done to it. Some say that Gibson lost some quality in recent years, but I don't see it in my 2016 J45. Once my guitar tech set it up properly, it played beautifully and sounded terrific. I have no complaints, mind you, I tried several guitars in different stores and found mine in a shop that had all acoustics in a glass room that was properly humidified. A true vintage J45 that has been looked after can be really hard to find...

I found a 1965 J-50 in very good condition at one of my local Guitar Centers. The same store also had a 1967 J-50 and two J-45's from the early 1970's. Went there first thing in the morning and had the place to myself for an hour to play them. Talked them way down from the asking price, and it seemed like a safe bet due to their return policy. Just did a quick search on their site and found a 1973 J-45 for $1300 and a 1976 for $1400 for example. If they've been in stock for awhile, you might talk them down quite a bit if you can go there in person.

If you're seeking a birth year Gibson, I'd buy a Gospel. The braceless arched back and maple make for a really loud and articulate guitar. The best of all the '70s Gibsons by a mile to my ears and fingers!

Forgot about those (damn senior moment), but they are excellent guitars. I'd like one - even though 70's Gibsons give me the dry heaves😖

• 2 years later...

Mine is a '59 cherry sunburst that I've had since '88... My 1st one was brand new in '65, but was stolen... So when I found this one in need of some serious repair, I took the plunge and went to work on it. Nowadays it's a beautiful picture and sound, even though not stock anymore... price you pay for a great guitar, I guess!🎶

I'd look for an early 50s one maybe - but it'd be worth playing a ton of them.

FWIW, i bought a 76 Hummingbird. Big mistake. If you read up some more you'll find that the late 60s/70s/80s were tough times on consistency and quality. That doesn't mean there aren't great guitars from that Gibson era but you've kind of gotta know what you're doing.

I did not.

Quite a few years ago, I harbored a desire to own a birth-year '51 LG-3.

Eventually, I found one & was quite underwhelmed.  It quickly came to mind that I'd be much better served to always focus on finding the best example I could of any particular model.

Haven't been motivated by the birth-year thing since.