Gibson Brands Forums

Keep the Sigs? Photos and Recording Added!

BluesKing777

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would probably keep it if it was for a collection and had it signed by myself when i met the guitarist... especially if it was a Maton and wanted to let it stand on my living room walls.

Other than that, i'd rather have my own piece signed by my own dirty pick scratches.

Nice guitar by the way.

Beautiful guitar I love Lowdens. As for the signatures personally I wouldn't want anyone to sign one of my guitars. But it came to you that way. Not sure if it adds any value to the guitar having their signatures on there. If it really bothers you I would remove them.

I could go to one of TE's concerts and yell: "Play this guitar for me, Mr Tommy!" [mellow]

Don't know, don't know, once they are wiped, they are gone... don't know, don't know, and while I don't like the look of them, I just don't see them while playing, especially if singing in a mic as the same time!

Just back from a short lunchbreak, had a sandwich and then...play the new guitar - plugged it in to try the pickup, undersaddle peizo that came from the factory installed. Works! Rotten things for luthiers to put in because of the split saddle. Put it through a few gadgets, all good but I don't have a Fishman Aura sound image for this type of guitar..used an OM28 rosewood image.

BluesKing777.

Tommy Emmanuel is acoustic guitar royalty, much the same as Andres Segovia was in his classical guitar heyday. He probably is the present king of the hill of acoustic guitar players, though he is not a rock icon like Eric Clapton.

The thought of forever removing his autograph from a guitar seems kinda unthinkable to me. True, his brother is not of the same legendary status, but it is still the legend's brother who is a great guitarist in his own right...so his autograph seems part of the Tommy Emmanuel package, so removing it also seems unthinkable.

No one would consider removing a historic Andres Segovia autograph from a guitar. Or, his brother's side by side one if he had a brother.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff (a major admirer of Tommy Emanuel's legendary guitar skills).

Just curious: did Segovia go around signing guitars?

It's up to you, BK. As a fellow countryman, it might mean a little bit more, too. Also- is that a satin finish? 'Might make a bit of a mess if the ink's gotten in deep, or through to the wood.

No vote cast, as the "it's up to you" button was not on the ballot.

Keeping them brings up more issues! I mean if I want to keep the sacred signatures, how do I stop them rubbing off when I am playing?

I mean, a big dirty black smudge would not be that nice.

And Mr Burst, I think, don't know, most Lowdens are matt finishes. Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

And I put it into its obvious home base tuning, DADGAD and it is stunning...then CGDGAD and lookout, the Celts are coming!

BluesKing777.

Keeping them brings up more issues! I mean if I want to keep the sacred signatures, how do I stop them rubbing off when I am playing?

Well, , , as you know that zone isn't touched much while playing and who knows, , , maybe they're done with a German panzer feltmarker.

But regarding the pole. How would you cover it up. A curtain, a Presley Mart. leather coat, a glass shield. .

Apart from that, I sense you find them rather exotic and tend to leave them on.

Why not give them a test-period. I know they take a lot of space'nattention, but they're pretty nice and compose well seen from a graphical angle.

I for my part now seem have made up my mind - they are too much. For the eye and for the Lowden.

Add that the 2 guitarists are too heavy a burden to bear. They set your own skills in perspective each time you breathe a chord.

Look forward to hear the thing - with or without tattoos.

Hi

That's a lovely guitar, and the signatures are more tastefully done than I'd expected. My guess is that it sounds lovely as well. My vote was in favor of removal, and that's not going to change. However, as has always been my custom, I've spent probably far too much time thinking about it. True to my deranged speculaton - offered here previously - that all acoustic guitars are inherently female, I've reached the conclusion that the signatures are simply not appropriate. The parallel is simple: it's altogether too much like being deeply involved with an otherwise lovely woman who has 'property of Hell's Angels' tatooed in an intimate location. 😖 Might be time for a cover-up bit of artwork if outright removal proves impossible😒

After seeing the actual signatures and the youtube video posted by BK7, I've changed my vote from "No" to "I don't know".

I'd also be concerned, as has been pointed out, with residual damage that might result from trying to take them off.

Of course, this dilemma occurred to you before you bought it - so, you alone 'own it'. ! You really can't go 'wrong' though! G'Luck!

I'm stuck on why you bought that particular defaced one. Is it a model you don't usually see available for sale in your market or a guitar you had your eye on? It's interesting too, that you're in a phase where you're trying new guitars in fairly close timelines. I figured the Cargill would keep you going for a while. All set to run my standard decreasingly funny reference to building an addition for your guitars, but you mentioned some swapping out went on. Last month I was this close to buying a handsome bucket lister 40's J45 from Elderly that needed a fair amount of set-up restoration, but looked right up my alley at $3500. I'm still fortunate to have access to low cost luthier talent. It turned out I paused for too long on that, contemplating what I would have had to sell, being down to 3 fine acoustics. Think I'm happy someone beat me to it, and close to content with what I have to play. I hope that feeling continues.

Are we always jockeying for that perfect array? I'm afraid there's some of that still lurking in me.

I'm stuck on why you bought that particular defaced one. Is it a model you don't usually see available for sale in your market or a guitar you had your eye on? It's interesting too, that you're in a phase where you're trying new guitars in fairly close timelines. I figured the Cargill would keep you going for a while. All set to run my standard decreasingly funny reference to building an addition for your guitars, but you mentioned some swapping out went on. Last month I was this close to buying a handsome bucket lister 40's J45 from Elderly that needed a fair amount of set-up restoration, but looked right up my alley at $3500. I'm still fortunate to have access to low cost luthier talent. It turned out I paused for too long on that, contemplating what I would have had to sell, being down to 3 fine acoustics. Think I'm happy someone beat me to it, and close to content with what I have to play. I hope that feeling continues.

Are we always jockeying for that perfect array? I'm afraid there's some of that still lurking in me.

If you went back through my thread-age (made that up!), there is the occasional mention of trading cheap houses for hotels ALA Monopoly! [biggrin]

This could have been the first foray....

I have made some interesting connections with this shop - basically a second hand instrument dealer that pays pawn shop price if you are desperate to sell BUT willing to trade quite fairly, well I thought. I also weighed up a few points - I wanted the Lowden, wanted THAT Lowden and wanted a Lowden and they are really, really expensive for even the plain EIR/Sitka ones here! I also didn't want to go through the Ebay hoohah or worse, guitarists coming over! [thumbdn] So I think it worked out absolutely beautifully [rolleyes] and there are a couple of Fender electrics and an amp or 2 shaking nervously in the corner of my music room......they could become something else exciting....

Speaking of Cargill, I should get him to sign it!

New friends:

CargillLowden4_zpsjikrijol.jpg

CargillLowden5_zpsnghlld33.jpg

CargillLowden1_zpsd0ozuhrb.jpg

Oooo, that scrawl on the Lowden drives me nuts! I love the '0' shape.

What about a couple of Everly Brothers pickguards over them? [mellow]

Or full guitar player tradition - black gaffa tape? [mellow]

Or I could get Jon Gomm to play it - look what he has done to his Lowden but funnily he would miss my signatures. I was raised with guitars that fell apart if you hit them so I don't do that!:

Oh, here are the Lowdens that got my attention - top of the line S50 with African Blackwood and Sinker Redwood top - same size shape as mine, maybe a bit 'Cargillish"? Fully stunning and at $US8995 would end up at about....think of a number and triple is the old saying...calculated on my import formula to be Australian Dollars $AU14,481.95...ha ha never happening.:

https://heartbreakerguitars.com/product/lowden-s50-custom-african-blackwood/

BluesKing777.

Archived