Gibson Brands Forums

"Out On The Weekend"

BluesKing777

I changed the strings on the 1993 Lowden S35 yesterday - the old ones were like barb wire... brand new set of (Lowden recommended) Elixir PB Nanos 12s...and the guitar is now....perfect! Truly beautiful sounding.

So I recorded a slow track to let the guitar ring out a bit - my version of Neil Young's "Out On The Weekend" (Neumann KM184 mic > A & H mixer > iMac/GarageBand):

BluesKing777.

Nicely done Bluesking,

Those Lowdens really do sound great. I also own one myself but mines a S25 (ceder top, rosewood back and sides with hog binding)

They never fail to amaze me, they just keep ringing.

I think George sends all of his guitars out with Elixirs on.

Thanks Quake and Mikey!

A local Lowden seller had the S25 for about a minute before someone bought it - I saw the photo go up on their site and then thought I should have a try of that...and then the sold sticker went on it immediately!

I prefer the S size (and OM/000/00/0 size guitars), but I would love to try one of the Wee Lowdens - don't care what woods....

Since getting mine last week, a few others in my collection may be getting traded! And they are nervous. And playing beautifully. [biggrin]

I guess I am tired of plain old Mahogany and Rosewood with Sitka at the moment... That top of the line Lowden S50 with African Blackwood back and sides and Sinker Redwood top would look rather nice next to these 2....(African Ebony/Italian Spruce and Tasmanian Blackwood/Cedar):

CargillLowden5_zpsnghlld33.jpg

BluesKing777.

I love the song BK and you have done a good interpretation of it.

It's one of those songs that you can't stop singing and after a while I remembered it has a harmonica intro to it which is catchy too.

I think I might have a go at it, I don't play harmonica but the refrain could be played on the guitar or even whistled!

I love the song BK and you have done a good interpretation of it.

It's one of those songs that you can't stop singing and after a while I remembered it has a harmonica intro to it which is catchy too.

I think I might have a go at it, I don't play harmonica but the refrain could be played on the guitar or even whistled!

Thanks Fretplay..

My version probably has no relation except the lyrics - I may have started out strumming the chords in Chordie.com - then turned it into a fingerpicked part. I have played the harmonica parts on guitar and they sound a bit 'tinny' or elevator music(ish). So your whistling idea is good, even humming would work...

The Lowden has been locked in its Hiscox with a Humidipak system - needs a few days to stablise - we have had wild weather jumps, so I raced off to the shop that sells the HumidiPaks and bought one to prevent the guitar doing the splits hopefully. The new Humidpaks have a different arrangement with a weird plastic strip seal...the jury is still out on whether I like it, so I swapped with an older version from another guitar case.

BluesKing777.

Archived