Gibson Brands Forums

Trumpet Playing Guitar Lover

TMMoremanly

Hi All,

As I said in the topic, I am a trumpet player but I am fascinated by hollow body guitars. Since I retired I have been learning to repair musical instruments, mainly wind instruments. I look for pre 1965 instruments to rehab and get in good working order in order to get them into the hands of kids/students so they don't have to rent or buy new. Anyway, I recently came across a 1956 Gibson ES-125 that seems to be in excellent condition. Every once in a while I manage to acquire an instrument that I hopefully will make a little money on to help fund my repair activities. I have done some research on on-line sales of '50s vintage ES-125s, I have not found a great deal of info so I am hoping maybe some of you Gibson fans could give me some value opinions.

Thank You All Very Much,

Ray Z

Hi Mr Zee and welcome to the forums....[thumbup]

Many folks hereon are enthusiasts of hollow body archtops of various sizes and specs

The ES125 is probably 'on the way up' at the moment as a collector's item

Helped a little by James Bay and his interesting vintage Epiphone 'equivalent'.....

The Godin 5th Avenue is possibly the nearest modern take on that design

I have and cherish a reissue ES225 which is quite different but shares some DNA with the ES125

Value wise is guess work....:blink:

IMO $1000 would probably be an optimistic sale price for a pristine, fully set-up example

Depends on interest and demand for what is a niche guitar....

V

:-({|=

Hi Mr Zee and welcome to the forums....[thumbup]

Many folks hereon are enthusiasts of hollow body archtops of various sizes and specs

The ES125 is probably 'on the way up' at the moment as a collector's item

Helped a little by James Bay and his interesting vintage Epiphone 'equivalent'.....

The Godin 5th Avenue is possibly the nearest modern take on that design

I have and cherish a reissue ES225 which is quite different but shares some DNA with the ES125

Value wise is guess work....:blink:

IMO $1000 would probably be an optimistic sale price for a pristine, fully set-up example

Depends on interest and demand for what is a niche guitar....

V

:-({|=

Thanks so much for your insight.

Ray Z

Archived