Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations for "cheap" picks that don't have "string drag"?

sbpark

By cheap, I mean I'm not looking to invest a small fortune for something like a Blue Chip, etc., given how I lose picks, give them to friends when they come by to jam, and just because I think it's crazy to spend so much on one pick! By string drag, I mean I can hear the pick scraping across the strings, especially when I go on single note runs because I hold the pick at an angle, even when I've tried to bevel or round off the edges with an emory board, sandpaper, etc.

I like a thicker pick, 1-1.15mm in thickness. Here's what I've tried recently and mu impressions:

Dunlop Gels (both heavy 1.0mm and Extra Heavy 1.15mm): Like the Heavy as it has the least, if any amount of string drag of any picks I've tried so far. Also has a fairly warm tone across all strings, but tends to get a little bright on the unwound strings. I didn't like the Extra Heavy at all. Was too clacky and surprisingly was very bright.

Snark .94mm: Even though they advertise and pride themselves to have zero string drag, they have less than the blue Tortex, but still noticeable. But overall a great, warm, even tone. Tried smoothing the edges with the little piece of emory board shaped like a pick that they include in the packaging, but didn't change anything.

Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm (blue): Similar to the Snark picks but brighter and more clack and drag.

Dunlop Nylon 1mm (black): Used these for a while, but even though they are 1mm thick, they're nylon, so they bend easily and can have a thin sound.

Dunlop Max Grip Nylon 1.14mm (grey): One of my favorites so far. Warm and full sound. No noticeable drag.

Celluloid (heavy): not a fan of the tone, since I get a warmer sound from some of the picks listed above, but the one advantage is no string drag.

Wondering what others use and what your experiences are. Picks are usually cheap enough to experiment with and not break the bank, and just looking for suggestions for something I may not otherwise try or know about. I've also experimented with other pick shapes, smaller teardrops, larger triangles, using different edges on picks, and just find the above shape the most comfortable for me. Thanks!

20170220_141656_HDR_zps7tfzjwcs.jpg

By cheap, I mean I'm not looking to invest a small fortune for something like a Blue Chip, etc..........

I personally find it humorous that players drop $2-5K on a fine instrument and spend several $10 bills on strings over the course of a year..........but choke up at the price of a high performance pick. When you decide your pick selection is as important as your guitar, you might really like these faux shell picks. Very slick on the strings no matter how you attack. The Blue Chip pick is very nice as well, a bit warmer than these faux shell picks and not quite as slick on the strings.

Dunlop Delrin heavys were my pick of choice until a bit of arthritis settled in and I couldn't count on not dropping a conventional teardrop shape pick. Went to Fender heavy triangles (not the absurdly huge ones) and haven't looked back.

Dunlop Delrin heavys were my pick of choice until a bit of arthritis settled in and I couldn't count on not dropping a conventional teardrop shape pick. Went to Fender heavy triangles (not the absurdly huge ones) and haven't looked back.

Are you making fun of my Dorito Chips (Fender Heavy 355)?

fender2035520heavy__zps2jkmt1yr.jpg

I use many different cheap picks but of all those, and not because of the brand, i like Gibson picks.

I use M, H, XH types... depending on what u play, picking or strumming...

Other ones i like are dunlop delrin pink 0.71 and green M-L...

I dont feel like geting string drag with all of these. Most of the time gibson 'M' gets my vote, its balanced stiffness allows both easy strum and pick.

Expensive picks are often, from my poor knowledge and experienced, too heavy and best suit for jazz. But if you know about great, not too heavy (=0.7), expensive picks, i'd like some advices.

Are you making fun of my Dorito Chips (Fender Heavy 355)?

fender%20355%20heavy__zps2jkmt1yr.jpg

Shown actual size, Dave? I've seen your big triangle picks in some of your photos, nestled in the strings, and spanning past high E to low E. : 0 !

Don't worry about losing 'em in the carpet, just worry about tripping over them.

ultem_triangle.png

After trying a few out, I've used this Ultem material which boast it's closely resembles the true sound of actual tortoiseshell when playing my Mandolin.

I still use the heavy Fender on my guitars. Lately I've had problems holding on to the picks so I've added a thin layer of rubber on both sides of the pick.

I personally find it humorous that players drop $2-5K on a fine instrument and spend several $10 bills on strings over the course of a year..........but choke up at the price of a high performance pick. When you decide your pick selection is as important as your guitar, you might really like these faux shell picks. Very slick on the strings no matter how you attack. The Blue Chip pick is very nice as well, a bit warmer than these faux shell picks and not quite as slick on the strings.

The term "high performance pick" makes me laugh. I also spent quite a bit on my truck when I bought it new and my Subaru, but that doesn't mean I'm going to cough up extra for premium gas just because it's high performance, or buy the most expensive oil, or buy performance spark plugs for them either just because they're expensive, so they must be better philosophy. Just because something costs more doesn't mean it's automatically better. Not saying the Blue Chip guys aren't cork sniffers, but maybe I am in some cases, but just because a pick is expensive doesn't mean it's the answer too your prayers. Those may suit some guys and may be the worst for others. Price doesn't necessarily dictate quality, and just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's going to be the right choice. Not to pick on you, but to use you as an example, in one of your recordings you mentioned using a Blue Chip. I think I even replied that I heard a lot of string clack on that particular track. I can't stand that, but for you it might just be the exact sound your looking for.

Nylons have a lot of string click in my experience. I notice less with Snark picks (not sure what they're made of though), and my current favorite is a Gibson medium which is probably substantially the same as any other celluloid medium pick. I just like the Gibsons because I picked up a 1/2 gross about 6 months ago and have only been through 1 or 2 so I have a good enough supply to last me for years. The Snarks developed a permanent bend quite soon, and I didn't like them as much after that.

I use my pocket knife and carve out a cross-hatch design on the top areas of the picks where my fingers grip. The end result is a grippy texture a lot like what is built into the Snark picks.

The term "high performance pick" makes me laugh. I also spent quite a bit on my truck when I bought it new and my Subaru, but that doesn't mean I'm going to cough up extra for premium gas just because it's high performance, or buy the most expensive oil, or buy performance spark plugs for them either just because they're expensive, so they must be better philosophy. Just because something costs more doesn't mean it's automatically better. Not saying the Blue Chip guys aren't cork sniffers, but maybe I am in some cases, but just because a pick is expensive doesn't mean it's the answer too your prayers. Those may suit some guys and may be the worst for others. Price doesn't necessarily dictate quality, and just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's going to be the right choice. Not to pick on you, but to use you as an example, in one of your recordings you mentioned using a Blue Chip. I think I even replied that I heard a lot of string clack on that particular track. I can't stand that, but for you it might just be the exact sound your looking for.

have you tried the wood picks? there not bad either..

I'll check them out. Also saw some stuff made from coconut. Looked into buffalo horn picks, but those all seem a bit too thick.

The horn picks do not flex.. they also do not make the tinny tone either.. you up north of the 48? Ill send you one if you want to try it out.. I have a few.

I agree. For the price of a pretty good bottle of whiskey you can have a pick that lasts years.

Have you tried any of the more expensive brands? Maybe they are actually really good. I use the faux shell picks listed above. Not because they are expensive (I'm just a guitar teacher that's also working his way back through college), but because they stick to my fingers better than anything else while also sounding great, in my opinion. Don't knock them if you haven't tried them. The Wegens aren't super expensive and might be an easier foray into the world of "expensive" picks. They have the least amount of pick clack in my experience followed by the blue chips. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you some picks to try.

Matt

Have you tried any of the more expensive brands? Maybe they are actually really good. I use the faux shell picks listed above. Not because they are expensive (I'm just a guitar teacher that's also working his way back through college), but because they stick to my fingers better than anything else while also sounding great, in my opinion. Don't knock them if you haven't tried them. The Wegens aren't super expensive and might be an easier foray into the world of "expensive" picks. They have the least amount of pick clack in my experience followed by the blue chips. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you some picks to try.

Matt

I have tried the blue chips. I can't really discern that much of a difference, or at least enough difference to warrant to crazy cost. I know the material that they are made out of is very expensive and the process of making them is a bit labor intensive and contributes to the cost, but just not for me.

Archived