Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Pickup mod question

Zeppeholic

Hello, it's been a while since I've been on here!

I recently got a 3-pickup Black Beauty with a push/push pot that adds the middle pickup. There is a rather noticeable volume drop when using my neck pickup compared to the bridge pickup but I'm aware that the middle and bridge pickups share the same vol/tone pot. So When -both- pickups' volumes are at 10, the bridge pickup is significantly louder than the neck.

So, I recently read Mitch Gallager's Guitar Tone book and in it he notes about Peter Green's Les Paul and how the neck pickup was switched. I'm also aware he got that out-of-phase tone with the neck pickup's magnet being installed upside down. However, the book says flipping the neck pickup 180° will give the neck pickup more output and a darker tone.

I was just wondering if rotating the neck pickup in my Black Beauty would help with the volume difference (in addition to adjusting the pickups) and actually give it a darker tone.

Thank you and any help would be much appreciated, as I'm just beginning to mod circuitries and such.

Thanks,

-Zeppeholic

...the book says flipping the neck pickup 180° will give the neck pickup more output and a darker tone.

I was just wondering if rotating the neck pickup in my Black Beauty would help with the volume difference (in addition to adjusting the pickups) and actually give it a darker tone.

No. All this would do would be to position the adjustment screws slightly nearer the bridge which may give, if anything, a slightly brighter tone.

Have you thought about trying to balance the vol by changing the p'up heights? Lowering the bridge and mid might help you balance the sound across the range.

Incidentally the PG out-of-phase change isn't achieved by turning the magnet upside-down but by rotating it 180 degrees on a flat-plane.

Pip.

Ah this is why it's good to ask questions! I've gotten a few different answers on this.

My first instinct was to adjust the pickups, I see that the Custom Shop sets their instruments up slightly different from the USA models anyways. I'm switching to a much lighter gauge string on this Black Beauty so once I do restring I think I'll just take her in to get a pro setup and explain my issue with the pups

Thanks for your input Pip!

Archived