Gibson Brands Forums

Dirty Finger pick up

ask28

I bought this 1981 Custom Silverburst about 20 years ago (with a 2-12 Galien-Kruger 100 watt amp for $500! Original case wasn't included). The original owner told me that he moved the bridge up (did it have the Bigsby?), and installed a Dirty Finger pick up in the bridge postition. Does anyone have any experience with these? Like/dislike?

Thanks for your input.

DSCN2857.jpg

Nice Silverburst. I had a new Dirty Fingers pickup in my BFG and didn't care for it. It was too one dimensional for me. When I played with heavy distortion, it was an awesome pickup, but when I wanted to clean it up a bit, it was too harsh sounding. It had a clot of clarity if I was playing it with distortion though.

did it have the Bigsby?

DSCN2857.jpg

The holes near the stop-bar studs are in the correct position for the type of Bigsby most commonly found on a Les Paul. The strange thing is the second pair of screws; they are in the correct place for a different Bigsby - the B-5.

Hopefully someone here will know more about Bigsbys than I do.

It wouldn't be difficult........

I have Dirty Fingers in my Sonex (hmm, somehow that doesn't sound right, let's see if AXE® picks up on this). A agree with everything stated here. They sound great distorted and they are loud, but they lose a lot in cleaner tones (you wouldn't want to use them for a blues tone).

+1 on everything said so far. I do have one in a tele with one humbucking pickup at the bridge, with a coil tap. That definitely helps to clean up the tone if you play with the coil that's away from the bridge, but still a little "dirty"...But I plug that thing into my little 5W Champ 600, crank it up to 12, and it phuckin rips. But definitely one dimensional

A Dirty Fingers came in my Silverburst RD Reissue...friggin hated that pickup with the passion of a thousand suns. Seriously, the absolute worst sounding pickups. It's too loud and there are no high's when distorted. I ended up replacing mine with 57 Classics. Best decision I ever made, it's now my main guitar.

To give you an idea on how loved those DF pickups are, look them up on ebay...you can buy them for a buck :-$

Archived