Gibson Brands Forums

1964 Gibson C-1-Classic up for auction

Remellick

My wife had a '61 C1 Classical w/the original brown/pink-lined hard case. She eventually traded it toward something else, if I recall correctly. Nice little guitar, all-in-all, but as a steel string guy I couldn't really appreciate it.

Hello,

If you're a serious Gibson guitar lover including or especially the classical models but thought you'd never be able to afford one... Here you go.. Thank me later! :)

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Gibson-USA-Union-Made-C1-Classic-Acoustic-Guitar-37349895.html

By the serial number, that on is 1964, and looks to be in very good shape. I you want a half-decent classical guitar, and love Gibsons, that's a very good buy if it stays under $600 or so. I looked for one for quite some time a few years ago. I ended up spending a lot more money for a much better guitar, but that's the way these things go.

By the serial number, that on is 1964, and looks to be in very good shape. I you want a half-decent classical guitar, and love Gibsons, that's a very good buy if it stays under $600 or so. I looked for one for quite some time a few years ago. I ended up spending a lot more money for a much better guitar, but that's the way these things go.

Are you saying you can play a nylon-string guitar to good advantage? Or at least that you can actually make it sound reasonably like it should? I am in awe, more or less! In my hands, even an expensive classical comes off sounding like a plastic uke💩

Are you saying you can play a nylon-string guitar to good advantage? Or at least that you can actually make it sound reasonably like it should? I am in awe, more or less! In my hands, even an expensive classical comes off sounding like a plastic uke💩

I have a fairly expensive semi-custom Spanish-made classical (red cedar top, rosewood back and side, ebony bridge and board). I use it to play Brazilian bossa nova, not classical music. It probably sounds like a $20 back-alley Brazilian guitar in my hands, but it's still a nice guitar.

I have a fairly expensive semi-custom Spanish-made classical (red cedar top, rosewood back and side, ebony bridge and board). I use it to play Brazilian bossa nova, not classical music. It probably sounds like a $20 back-alley Brazilian guitar in my hands, but it's still a nice guitar.

Yes, I am in awe. And I'm pretty sure you make it sound forth right properly☺

Anyone serious about it should look closely.. after zooming in I do see a fairly large crack in its top. No idea how extensive and I am no luthier.. Just saying.

It's hard to tell from the photo angle, but it could be the top center seam, which could be fairly easily repairaed. I don't know if those are X-braced like a typical Gibson, or some form of modified fan bracing, like a classical.

It's hard to tell from the photo angle, but it could be the top center seam, which could be fairly easily repairaed. I don't know if those are X-braced like a typical Gibson, or some form of modified fan bracing, like a classical.

Some sort of fan bracing. For some reason, that model is especially prone to top cracks. The one we used to have was crack free, but a couple of my friends had examples with multiple top cracks.

Some sort of fan bracing. For some reason, that model is especially prone to top cracks. The one we used to have was crack free, but a couple of my friends had examples with multiple top cracks.

Classical and Flamenco guitars are built very differently than steel stringers. They are lighter and more prone to damage from humidity and global warming. Of course, less string pressure on the other side of the equation. If you are ever tempted - there are models that have narrower necks (the much wider neck and string spacing are one of the dissatisfies for steel string players who try to cross-over) that are approximately half way between steel string necks and classical. They do present an opportunity to explore finger-picking at a whole new level.

Classical and Flamenco guitars are built very differently than steel stringers. They are lighter and more prone to damage from humidity and global warming. Of course, less string pressure on the other side of the equation. If you are ever tempted - there are models that have narrower necks (the much wider neck and string spacing are one of the dissatisfies for steel string players who try to cross-over) that are approximately half way between steel string necks and classical. They do present an opportunity to explore finger-picking at a whole new level.

True words. My Pavan classical has a 52mm (2"+) nut width and 650mm (25.6") scale length, but they make the same model with a slightly narrower nut (50mm) and slightly shorter scale (640mm, about 25.2"). It also has a dead-flat fretboard (no radius), so it feels very different. However, the much lower string tension (even for the wrapped strings)means a lot less force required by the fretting fingers, so in some ways it's easier to play.

So noted😄 Wish my fingerpicking warranted a whole new level of exploration😏

I had a C-O way back in the early 60s. My very first 'real' guitar. Was a good 'un.

Me too. Great for learning, I could play it hard or soft, and strum or fingerpick. I sold it in '82 to finance my current Gibson, a F-25 which is a steel stringer with the dimensions of a classical guitar. The transition was easy.

Archived