Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo Rosewood Review

MissouriPicker

Here's a quick review of my 2015 SJ Mystic Rosewood that I received right after Christmas. Dawned on me this last week that I've had it for two months and hadn't shown any pics or video of it yet. I guess life gets in the way of the things we want to do. Been busy-as-hell with family, guitars, playing gigs, and model trains. Family generally is the most time-consuming and the other three all kind of just fit-in where they can............ Anyway, this is a really super guitar. Very, very mellow. Ideal for the way I play and the music I perform. Not the loudest of my guitars (that's probably the Dove), but it's the equal of any of them when it comes to playability. I've been using it a lot lately. About 50% of my gigs, while the others have been sharing the time. After playing these last two months, I fully understand why so many people fall in love with this model. Of course, I can say similar things about all my Gibsons and this SJ is definitely one of them. Recorded onto an IPAD Pro, so the sound is what it is.

Thanks for the comments. I've owned a lot of nice guitars, but even "early in the game" I've come to believe this is one of the special ones. I do like the grain on the back and the burst is pretty cool. Taking it to my Friday noon gig in a bit.

Gotomsdos, good point. You're right with another comment I heard.,.lol...Had a guy tell me on Wednesday afternoon "that's one of the mellowest sounding rosewood guitars I've heard."... I play very lightly on most stuff. Don't know if I've ever really "driven" or pushed the top of a guitar to it's best. Hardly ever use a pick. If I played heavy metal, it would likely be the quietest heavy metal ever heard.

Lars, I cleared my message box. Thanks for letting me know. Don't check it very often.

But how come to my ear, it sounds still like a Hog one ? It does not seem to sound thick like a RW one should ?
Keep in mind Lar is playing with bare fingers. Still, I get it. Maybe because the slope design balances out the tonal spectrum so you dont get that big bass. Hummingbird-like to my ear.

Very nice guitar you have there. I have read the Mystic Rosewood is from rare burls that are very dense and similar in tone to Brazilian Rosewood. I have a Western Classic with it. I have a Mahogany Southern Jumbo and a J-45 Classic with Indian Rosewood and they are very different. The J-45 is very full sounding with nice sparkly harmonics and the SJ is more of a clear, bright and distinct tone, I love them both.

Archived