Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (it's here!)

drathbun

Beautiful guitar!

It screams "fingerstyle"!

I love the old-style 000 body shape.

Thanks, Nick. I just played it fingerstyle for about an hour. Absolutely killer. Sustain for days. It is an unusual body shape. The 000-28 has the body shape familiar from such guitars as the 000-28EC (Eric Clapton). However, because this is a 12 fret, they stretch the body out somewhat. The deep bass you get from moving the bridge back into the lower bout is thrilling!

Beautiful guitar. Gorgeous grain in that Rosewood. Slotted headstock, volute, herringbone top trim, pyramid bridge... Man, that is a lot to take in. Enjoy!

Thanks OC and Bozz. I think it was a good change up. Now with the SJ200 and the Martin 000-28vs, I have both ends of the acoustic spectrum. Giving up the Taylor was not too difficult, not because it isn't an excellent guitar, but that these two guitars make the Taylor superfluous.

Here is a video I did of the "unboxing of the Martin" at the store today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5V0xhJ-qM

It's amazing to me that they crafted something so sublime out of wood. I am not jealous that you own either of those guitars. I just wish I knew what it was like to spend a day going back and forth between the two. THAT would make me drool. I liked the video, especially the section where you walked down the neck, in what looked like a D7 chord with the accompanying hammer-ons from your ring or pinky finger. I get absolutely bubbly when I see a simple shape or approach to the guitar that produces a generous musical statement that belies its simplicity. Neat!

It's amazing to me that they crafted something so sublime out of wood. I am not jealous that you own either of those guitars. I just wish I knew what it was like to spend a day going back and forth between the two. THAT would make me drool. I liked the video, especially the section where you walked down the neck, in what looked like a D7 chord with the accompanying hammer-ons from your ring or pinky finger. I get absolutely bubbly when I see a simple shape or approach to the guitar that produces a generous musical statement that belies its simplicity. Neat!

Thanks, turtle! That is Greg Lake's "Father Christmas". It is in Drop D and it is actually very simple to play. It isn't a D7 shape as you are only plucking the high E, G and D strings (in double stops, with pull-offs on the high E) down the neck and then hitting the low E string (tuned to D) at the end. It is a fantastic sounding guitar progression that has a great "chime" to it.

Beautiful! Congrats.

Certainly the 12 fret to the body does change the visual aspect of the 000, I had to go back and check it was a 000.

I have a hand built guitar from a luthier in England which looks very similar. I should post pictures at some point somewhere, I'm sure there are some guys on here who would enjoy.

Doug,

Beautiful Martin, congrats!

I have a SJ-200 (Standard) and a 000-12 Martin as well, so I admire your taste!

The jumbo, 12 fret, 12 string and nylon really fill all my acoustic guitar needs. I even have an old red label Yamaha as a beater, campfire guitar.

I just ran the serial number for the new Martin 000-28vs with the serial number charts on the Martin website and it seems my new guitar was made in 2012! That's a bit OLD for New Old Stock directly from the Martin factory isn't it? I took it out of a stapled shut box myself, so it was definitely never touched. How much backstock would Martin have on their models? Seems a bit excessive. [unsure]

I just ran the serial number for the new Martin 000-28vs with the serial number charts on the Martin website and it seems my new guitar was made in 2012! That's a bit OLD for New Old Stock directly from the Martin factory isn't it? I took it out of a stapled shut box myself, so it was definitely never touched. How much backstock would Martin have on their models? Seems a bit excessive. [unsure]

It may be that there are a not of Martin customers as discerning as you are. My guess is that a 12-fret slot-head 000 doesn't fit the average buyer's perception of what a Martin should be.

You've got better taste.

Archived