Gibson Brands Forums

Old Stock J-35

NCtom

I just got an old-stock J-35 from a local GC. It has hung there for a couple of years and had taken quite a beating. I have no idea why it never sold, the volume and tone are great. I guess it looked like a poor step-child with no flashy paint job and a missing pickguard.

Anyway, a lot of cleanup, a little crack repair, and assorted "improvements" and it is playing well, hopefully for a long, long time at a surprisingly low price. I am very pleased and happy to have it.

No pictures, sorry. I have no camera or knowledge of posting them. I'm afraid I'm technically challenged and old, besides.

Congratulations and enjoy your good fortune. I love a deal on the shop worn. It was pre-broken in. Good grab. If you shrink the pic down and then click browse below you'll probably fumble your way to posting a photo. That's how I do it...fumblingly.

Now you have to get the camera. There are used Kodak Easy Share cams on Ebay for 8 bucks.

Welcome to the circus, Tom! And good on ya for corralling a J-35! I tried a 35 when I went shopping with my Dove as trade bait. Good looking guitar, very loud but a bit too bright and jangly for my ear......might have been that particular instrument. The J-45 won the day.

Again, welcome and don't be shy around here........... [thumbup]

I just got an old-stock J-35 from a local GC. It has hung there for a couple of years and had taken quite a beating. I have no idea why it never sold, the volume and tone are great. I guess it looked like a poor step-child with no flashy paint job and a missing pickguard.

Anyway, a lot of cleanup, a little crack repair, and assorted "improvements" and it is playing well, hopefully for a long, long time at a surprisingly low price. I am very pleased and happy to have it.

No pictures, sorry. I have no camera or knowledge of posting them. I'm afraid I'm technically challenged and old, besides.

Welcome! Don't think you alone with your concerns. There are plenty of us here that have been around for 70 years or more. Don't hesitate to ask for help on any technical issues that might arise out of your participation here. We're a pretty welcoming and helpful group.

At least most of us are, most of the time...

J45snick, I don't want to sound unappreciative, but I don't really want to post pictures. There are already too many things to keep up with. To Bigkahune, there was indeed a big discount. I paid slightly more than a new Epiphone would cost. There are some harsh things said about Guitar Center but I think if you approach them with care and trepidation some fine instruments can be found there. You just have to be careful, know what you are looking at/for, and have thick skin.

I just got an old-stock J-35 from a local GC. It has hung there for a couple of years and had taken quite a beating.

But the main thing is, it's a Gibson, and it sounds like a Gibson. Well done!

I'm thinking, at GC, with all the guitars in there being played all day, every day, the constant ambient vibes might work to 'open up' the spruce soundboard on a guitar that's been hanging there for a couple years.... like the guitar's got 20 years of normal play on it! Or not. Just speculating. rolleyes.gif

It's good to have another technologically challenged picker on board - not to mention another representative with experience from an earlier time. I've learned a lot here from both older and younger members and, as Nick observed, most of us are pretty pleasant most of the time. Your J-35 sounds to be a good'n!

Welcome aboard NCt ! Congratulations on your find! I'm sure it'll get better sounding over the next few months as you bond with it, and it with you!!

I am a sucker for 'rescue' guitars. There's an Epiphone Masterbuilt that's been hanging in a local GC that was dropped and has a quarter-sized hole on the edge of the lower bout that I am dying to bring home. It sounds significantly better than all the other Epi MBs hanging there!

(Fortunately - my business manager has control of my Guitar Acquisition Budget. In return, I can buy all the picks and strings I want ! )

Welcome to the forum, Tom. Yeah, some pics would be cool...lol.....but we're in no big hurry. Give yourself some time. No pressure. After seeing all the stuff posted on here, you might "get the bug" too. Meanwhile, enjoy reading the threads and don't hesitate to join-in on a topic that interest you. And there are no stupid questions. [thumbup]

Archived