Gibson Brands Forums

Reason to Believe

Avery

Hey there guys,

Recently discovered the music of Tim Hardin...one of the not so famous 60s 70s singer-songwriters. But man, what a talent.

Here is a cover I did of my favorite tune of his...(on a new/old guitar I just got!) Apologies for the not so ideal audio quality...

As always, I appreciate the listens and the comments. Thanks guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAP9V-DHMQ

This is most excellent.. pitch great. Guitar great. I do have one suggestion, and it's only a suggestion, and I may even be wrong, and others should chime in and tell me, as should you... and I hesitate even saying it (get to the point Sal!!!)...

I feel like you are hell bent on looking at the camera... you never look at your hands or guitar... and if that is natural for you, well great then. I bring it up because if you pretended we were not watching... you would let your voice and hands go more naturally, and the song would hit another level.

Gosh I hope this is coming through how I mean it... I'm not sure if I even understand my point. Anyways, excellent regardless, and that's not my even giving you props for your disguised new guitar day... A J Freaking Fifty with the most gorgeous hue....

Anyways, hope that came out right. Excellent song. Excellent playing. Excellent voice. Just dying to hear you relax more and see what other world level you go.

Cheers, Sal, I am always open to suggestions...that is one area where I think I can improve...honestly, I am not sure where I look when I turn on the camera, and no doubt I get a bit of the red-light nerves...

This is most excellent.. pitch great. Guitar great. I do have one suggestion, and it's only a suggestion, and I may even be wrong, and others should chime in and tell me, as should you... and I hesitate even saying it (get to the point Sal!!!)...

I feel like you are hell bent on looking at the camera... you never look at your hands or guitar... and if that is natural for you, well great then. I bring it up because if you pretended we were not watching... you would let your voice and hands go more naturally, and the song would hit another level.

Gosh I hope this is coming through how I mean it... I'm not sure if I even understand my point. Anyways, excellent regardless, and that's not my even giving you props for your disguised new guitar day... A J Freaking Fifty with the most gorgeous hue....

Anyways, hope that came out right. Excellent song. Excellent p,aging. Excellent voice. Just dying to hear you relax more and see what other world level you go.

Pretend there is no camera.... look out a window, and at your knees, and at the camera? Or frankly if you are relaxed looking straight ahead, then shame on me and I shut up.

When a mic is there, we all look into the mic, and it's natural... I watch that Josh turner guy... also that Sharon Levi dude as well. I learned a few song from watching them.

The performance is great regardless.

Thinking on what I do... I started avoiding my face in youtube perhaps subconsciously because I feel less pressure playing a song. Oh and that and my looks :)

I like your stuff a lot. I subscribed. I get alerted when you upload new. :)

Nice job Avery I remember that song, I like the song and you did a great job. Keep it up, nice guitar. I never thought about what Sal said because I dont record or perform yet so it never occurred to me even though I did notice that you were fixed on the camera the whole song. I would have to go with what he is saying, I have no reason to doubt it.

Avery, that was cool! I liked the performance and the tune. Your new/old guitar (please tell us more about it) gave you a different sound. It is much rawer and less polished, as compared to your other guitar, which is a J-15 if I remember correctly. I like this direction. I have always been of fan of a little bit of an edge, maybe due to being a fan of both americana and punk music :-)

I can give a slightly different perspective to what Sal is saying about the camera. I record only with a mic, no video, (the lack of video is something for which the internet should be incredibly thankful). I want my recordings to be in one take, without splicing takes together afterwards. Doing this I have noticed I tend to get nervous towards the end of songs, being afraid to mess it up and having to start all over. To avoid this, I have noticed that it only makes it worse trying to concentrate. It's better to rely on muscle memory and just let the mind go blank. Works better for me, both as far as playing and singing. The good thing is that a blank mind is second nature to me, a lot of the time... :-) Do you, like me, have to do a lot of takes, before being pleased with the results?

Lars

That song is perfect for you Avery. Your style of playing, picking with the nails and that lovelly, lazy country voice is perfectly suited for this material. Well done.

And that J-50, I think its the first time Ive seen it, I almost know you as the J-15 man !

Excellent....love that song....it's in my regular set too.....[thumbup]

Covered in completely different styles by Karen Carpenter and Rod Stewart....[thumbup]

Performing to camera (on your own) takes practice and gets easier

When you get to open mics sometimes they film you, more natural and spontaneous....

Good to make a few mistakes and realise 99% thereof are unnoticeable

Let's see some more...

V

:-({|=

Wonderful, Avery! I'll have to add this one to the set list! And good to see you picked up a nice old thumpy Gibson! In the photo the braces are showing through the top wood. I seem to remember reading something about this in the Gibson book.........something in the adhesion process they used at the time...........

Thanks a lot Keith and Kelly...and Sal again.

Not the most comfortable guitar in the world...but that was probably why I could afford it. Love that thump in the bass.

She is a 1968 J-50. IMG_1026_zps0s3lw6nd.jpg

There's an interesting phenomenon going on in the picture of your J-50. All of the top bracing telegraphs perfectly through the top.

I've never seen that before.

Cheers fellas, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Thanks Mr. Paul...I love this song too...

Thanks EA, very kind of you.

Versatile, thanks for the song history and the advice...

Buc, playing this tune reminded me of your songs...it's got that pick strum feel that you often use.

And J-45 Nick and Buck, yeah, the top bracing is not the kind of thing I'd notice, but I'm glad you folks did and find it interesting.

Lars, the way you described your recording experience is exactly what I go through. I do try several times, and am probably staring off into space thinking about nothing...

Avery, that was excellent. You are extremely easy-to-listen-to and for me that makes this kind of quiet song that much more pleasant to hear. And that J50 definitely has "the thump." Sounds real good. I see what others are mentioning in regards to looking into the cam...lol.... I've done the same and it makes for a good Halloween video. I figure do what is natural for you. Don't intentionally look into the cam and don't try to avoid it. I think you come across as pretty relaxed and easy-going in your music videos. Aside from tweeking a couple things in your performance (and I wouldn't tweek it too much), I really like your videos. You're a good example of why I like watching forum members play their songs.

Archived