Gibson Brands Forums

Binding over frets or frets over binding .

Bluesy69

Hey guys I was wondering what you guys think feels better on the neck of the LP standard T's binding over the frets or the LP HP's frets over the binding ?

I prefer smooth sliding up and down the neck, but since I have yet to hold the LP HP I'm not sure what the feel and preference would be ?

Have any of you played or felt both and if so...which feels better on the hand ?

The frets with binding on them feel like a traditional Gibson neck. The fret over binding feels a bit 2015 Gibsonish but if you are buying a HP, that is expected. What matters is which you prefer. I have one with the fret over and many with binding over the fret. My personal preference is binding over until I need a refret done.

Actually I reckon nibs are just more work if something goes wrong...

But either way I cant say ive ever been bothered by the lack of them or that it really makes any difference when a guitar has them... As long as its all functional and playable then potato potaaato...

They do look cool though :)

I'll take nibs until...

• The frets need replacing; then frets over binding.
  • The plastic nibs do wear down and exposes the sharp fret ends; then I try to dress the metal fret ends.
  • The low e string is too close to the end of the frets and gets stuck between the metal fret and nibs or "pings". This usually means a new nut to be cut.

Hmmm... guess I prefer well rounded fret ends...be it nibs or no nibs. msp_rolleyes.gif

This thread seems to have a lot of "fretting" over a small piece of plastic...

msp_laugh.gif...msp_scared.gif...angry.gif...

But therein lies the crux of the matter; it should have a lot of "fretting" under a small piece of plastic!......

msp_angry.gif

Pip.

• 10 months later...

I have several gibsons with the nibs, My old 67 ES-330 TD has a very thin neck binding so the width of the fret is really not affected. On my LP, the binding is much thicker, which sacrafices fret width. I mostly notice the high E string slipping off the fret doing open chords. I was under the impression gibson was doing away with the nibs but that plan seems to have changed...Mike

Archived