Gibson Brands Forums

Binding over frets or frets over binding .

Bluesy69

I have several gibsons with the nibs, My old 67 ES-330 TD has a very thin neck binding so the width of the fret is really not affected. On my LP, the binding is much thicker, which sacrafices fret width. I mostly notice the high E string slipping off the fret doing open chords. I was under the impression gibson was doing away with the nibs but that plan seems to have changed...Mike

^This

I like nibs if they are done correctly and the binding is thin. On my ES Les Pauls the binding is nice and thin and I really like the feel of those necks with nibs. I have a 2010 Traditional LP and the binding is super thick and I'd rather have fret over binding on that one. Too many of the current model guitars with nibs seem to be cut rather sloppily and use thick binding.

Nibs are not a show-stopper for me either way. It all depends on how they were cut and how thin the binding is.

Necro-thread BTW

Way off the nib topic here, but wonder if anyone else has the same experience. Most rockers I have a hard time understanding the lyrics when they sing a song. But Ozzie I can understand almost every word when he sings. When he talks though I can't understand any of the words??

As to nibs, I don't think I ever owned a Gibson without them so that is what I'm used to. I have a Taylor solid body with a bound neck and no nibs, and it's fine like that as the fret ends are correctly fitted and smooth.

I've played both, have both and it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I think the only one that has them over the binding is on my Les Paul Standard. The others don't have binding on the neck. If the edges were sharp, I'd get them smoothed out a bit but I've never been cut by a fret.

Just an illustration by way of clarification as regards a point made by two of the above posters (edited here for brevity);

...I like nibs if... the binding is thin....Too many of the current model guitars with nibs...use thick binding....

'Thick' binding;

gibson23.jpg

'Thin' binding;

Nibs_R0.jpg

Pip.

Archived