Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jalex

Sunday song on a Monday J-185

I was going to post this yesterday but didn't get around to it. Something I've been noodling around on for a while, don't have a title yet but it seemed just right for the J-185. Finally got a microphone so I hope the sound is better quality than my Hummingbird demos I did. Comments and criticisms welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQSCGYVbLA

Now that was rather lovelly, and I certainly had a vocal melody humming in my head. I reckon youre onto something.

But, what i really want to know is if you're really a man mountain or is that smallest J-185 I have ever come across ... coz it looks tiny in your lap ?

And ... how are you enjoyed the vintage Bird, a few months down the track ?

That is quite lovely- dang, it's fun to hear these guitars being played!

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks guys. I'm 6'1 I think the angle of the camera makes it look smaller than it is. Still loving the Hbird but the J-185 needs some love too.

Thanks Sal. I think we all have different strengths. I cannot sing for anything so playing fingerstyle is pretty much all I do.

Besides for the great technique, that is the kind of melody that would be great in a pop song. And I mean that as a compliment...a real "ear worm" that sticks in your head. I really enjoyed that...and the bright tone in the J-185.

besides for the great technique, that is the kind of melody that would be great in a pop song. And I mean that as a compliment...a real "ear worm" that sticks in your head. I really enjoyed that...and the bright tone in the J-185.

thanks Avery, I'm sure that tune is made up of other songs I've heard. The little run on the Am is borrowed from the start of why my guitar gently weeps.

Great offering and done on one of my most appreciated Gibson models as

well. I wondered about the 'small-looking' appearance of the guitar, too. Put me in mind of how Hoyt Axton could 'shrink' the look of a Guild F-50😮

2 minutes and 44 secs of fine music here. Almost like an impressionist tone-poem.

Well balanced, all rounded - very aware of its own direction and identity.

I actually hear early spring in this piece.

Keep composing ^

Thanks for all the nice comments. Just looked at the video again and yes the guitar looks tiny. Almost like a CJ-165 though I assure you it's a J-185😀

Really, really sweet tune, and great performance of it!

I do a lot of stuff along a similar line, where I just play with chord progressions and add melodies into them, not knowing where they are going most of the time.

Hope you don't mind my borrowing this basic concept. Not writing anything for publication, I just like the sounds.

Don't mind at all j45nick. I do exactly what you do. I never play it the same way twice I just go with the flow. Thanks for the nice comments.

Now that was sweet. Sounded great on this stormy night we're having here. Really relaxing song and I love your fingerpicking. Interesting how those big Gibsons are a fingerpicker's dream. Beautiful guitar too. I think your recording was really good quality. Very clear sound. Like to hear some of your stuff on your Hummingbird also.

Very nice , indeed I think you are on to something with that piece . Keep following where it's going because it's a good place.

👍

I am very humbled by all the positive comments. Two of you guys have mentioned it has a feel of Spring about it, so I will give it the title "Morning Spring" I think that works pretty well thanks for the idea [biggrin]