Gibson Brands Forums

Cowboy Chords

Buc McMaster

Another Buc tune........three chords and a cloud of dust.......okay.......four chords. This one is from sometime in the late 90s I think. The band used to do this one and it always got the boot scooters on the floor amongst the sawdust and peanut shells. Recorded again with the USB mic on the floor in front of the amp.

Empty Locket Fool

Empty Locket Fool © Buc McMaster

She held that empty locket, then she slipped it in her pocket

She thought she heard him call her name as she walked out the door

If she could have just one wish, it's only to forget

That picture she left lyin' on the floor

There was a time when their love was, but like the summer does

It faded into memories and one last photograph

And though she knows he was wrong still she must go on

She stumbles on that heartache in her path

When the lights go out and she's all alone

She's driftin' in time tryin' to wish him back home

Someday she's gonna let him go but for now she's livin' in blue

And he'll always be her empty locket fool

There's no more smiling face, her reflection's in its' place

And in those eyes she sees the things that he could never find

Should you ask her now what love is all about

She'd hope you'd find your answer in her eyes

Two things, please?

How do you make that little copyright thingy? And is that all you need to do protect your song?

Wait. Make it three things.

The guitar, melody, sound, tone, words.... just terrific.

1. Don't know.

2. For evidentiary protection purposes you really need to register it with the copyright office. You can register a number of songs in a collection which cuts down on the expense. I usually don't worry about it too much until I'm actually going to put a song on a recording and release it to the public for sale. Others are more worried about such things and register everything right away. Also the "mail it to myself" procedure will not hold up in court no matter what anyone tells you.

3. Agree!

Thanks, guys. I do hope you can hear beyond just what's being done here. A solid bass line, a shuffling 4-piece drum kit, a spanky Telecaster dropping riffs in the vocal voids......this is what I hear when I do this kind of stuff. Let's face it......three or four chords on a guitar alone just aren't that interesting, and I know that. I just hear more.

The copyright thingie, © is generated by OPTION G on a Mac. I'm sure there's a key combination that does it on a Windows machine also. As for the validity and legal standing provided by said mark, I know the only sure way is via the SR forms and the Library of Congress. But at the same time I think good legal representation could adequately demonstrate a legal copyright with computer dated files such as videos or audio tracks. Without copyright on file with the LOC it would be a matter of convincing a judge who came first.......the chicken or the egg. I have perhaps 15 or 16 filed legally (of which this is one) but it's been years since I did anything new. Who wants to fight over music anyway...............

Thanks for listening.......and use your imagination!

Archived