Gibson Brands Forums

Unusual Request

IanHenry

Bit of a strange request, and I wouldn't normally ask something like this but it's for a deserving cause. I also hope it doesn't offend anyone.

There's a petition being run here in the U.K to get the last surviving crew member, George "Johnny" Johnson from the famous WW2 Dambusters mission a knighthood. Given the fact that George is now 95 you can understand that there is some urgency to this.

There's a bit of a history in this country for giving pointless celebrities a knighthood but guy's like George who put their lives on the line to save the free World have been largely ignored.

So, would you mind signing the petition? Post/Zip codes from around the World will be accepted. At the time of writing they are 191,961 short.

Please sign here:

https://www.change.org/p/give-britain-s-last-surviving-dambuster-hero-a-knighthood

And if you can spread the word.

Sorry to impose upon you and thanks,

Ian

Done. Arthur Harris used to live in the next village to mine (in Goring-on Thames). He should have got a Knighthood, like so many of his wartime peers (forgive the unintended pun), but the politics of the time wouldn't allow it. I know that some might disagree with that but, like so many, he had a distasteful job to do, however he did it well during a desperate time for this country.

Done.

These people served and Bomber Command suffered horrendous a causality rate (44% death rate) over a sustained period. War is terrible and terrible things are done by all protagonists. Sadly it seems to be part of our nature. So many "what if's?" but I don't think there are any answers as the questions are never asked or explored until a much later date.

• 3 months later...

Well they've awarded Johnny an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire), not the Knighthood that we'd hoped for but better than nothing (they also awarded Ed Sherran an MBE, no comparison in my eye's).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-40301329

Many thanks to everyone all over the globe who supported this campaign, your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

...Many thanks to everyone all over the globe who supported this campaign, your help is very much appreciated...

In return Ian, I'd like to thank you for bringing this to the attention of the forum. Had you not have done so I, for one, would never have been able to sign.

A big well done to you and heartiest congratulations to Mr. "Johnny" Johnson, M.B.E.

"It's not me, I'm the lucky one, I'm still alive - I'm representing the squadron and it's the squadron that's been honoured with this not me,"

Quite a man.

Pip.

In return Ian, I'd like to thank you for bringing this to the attention of the forum. Had you not have done so I, for one, would never have been able to sign.

A big well done to you and heartiest congratulations to Mr. "Johnny" Johnson, M.B.E.

"It's not me, I'm the lucky one, I'm still alive - I'm representing the squadron and it's the squadron that's been honoured with this not me,"

Quite a man.

Pip.

What Pippy said. Thanks for your efforts Ian, and a big thanks to Mr. Johnson [thumbup]

Archived