Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton Tour

Drog

I am going to see him Sept 7 in NY. Anyone else going to one of his shows? I figured I better see him before he stops touring. Yup my first EC experience and first time in NY. Going to be fun!

He has shows in March in NY 2 nights (19 & 20) and Inglewood Calif 2 nights (25&26), then May in London, England (22, 24 &25) and Sept in NY 2 nights (7&8) and Inglewood 2 nights (15&16).

'74 with George and Carl and drummer...Oldaker? Marcy and Yvonne. Keys...Sims? I think so. And a couple times a year up to Money and Cigarettes, which they gave out packs of Camels!

So yeah, no, I saw him. I love him dearly, I really do. We parted listening ways there in the 80's, but I still love him and that he made The Dominoes happen, and I dearly love the Every Crowd/461/EC Was Here/Slowhand stuff. Second side of One In Every Crowd still ranks as one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

I hope you folks get a good show. He is truly one of the best ever.

rct

Hope you have a great time!

I'd love to see him on the RAH leg but I suspect I might be just a tad too late to get a ticket...

...So yeah, no, I saw him. I love him dearly, I really do. We parted listening ways there in the 80's, but I still love him and that he made The Dominoes happen, and I dearly love the Every Crowd/461/EC Was Here/Slowhand stuff....

He is truly one of the best ever...

I know exactly what you mean.

I started a bit later than you (perhaps '76?) and saw him every time he popped by my place until the 'Behind the Sun' album came out in around '84/'85. I didn't like it; I didn't go to the tour and I've never seen him since. I liked some of the 'Money...' disc but not enough for me to listen to it often. Gig was ok, though.

As well as the discs you mention I'd also include 'Backless' and a few tracks on 'Another Ticket' are gems. Much as I love his stuff with Mayall I have to say that for both listening and playing pleasure I prefer ALL of the albums you mention to the 'Beano'.

Still; the chance to see him one last time before he hangs up his coily must be wonderful for those fortunate enough to have snagged a pew.

Pip.

Still; the chance to see him one last time before he hangs up his coily must be wonderful for those fortunate enough to have snagged a pew.

Yeah you know, Mrs said we could trip it up to NYC or LA to see him. I did think about it for a while. I will keep him in my heart as a 30 year old powerhouse with a band that just killed it. The opening number Motherless Children and George out there all alone in the light with that riff, the band coming in one at a time, longest intro ever, building and building, and him walking out slide riffin was just astounding. Couldn't hear the first two minutes the Spectrum was so loud.

One show, Slowhand time, Whitlock was in Philly for something, I don't know what. He came out with an acoustic and him and Slowhand sat down and the two of them played Thorntree In The Garden. I wept as hard as I wept when Billy and The Outlaws did Prisoner in them days. Can't buy that kind of memory and experience.

I'll keep that stuff and wish those that get to see him the best show they ever had. He sure gave me a buncha good ones, some good stories someday we could share over a pint or 5. He prolly lives next door to you, so maybe he'll show up!

rct

Jon Martin? John Martyn? Englishman, played acoustic with loops and much effects, cool stuff back then, opened around 461, maybe Slowhand time, I don't remember. Came out with his trusty CFMartyn and him and EC and band did High from Every Crowd. Godd DAM I am lucky to have seen that. I love that side, that song.

rct

Love John Martyn although that is not his real name and he has since passed away. He was damn good at guitar and drinking.

I somehow identify with that.

rct

...P*sses me off now days when they call it a "tour" and there is three stops??

I hear you, but in all fairness to Ol' Slowhand, he did say a year or so ago that when he hit 70 he was going to stop "touring". I'd guess this is his attempt at stopping LOL, but in all candor, just call them special shows or something, not a "tour". I guess the years, time on the road, booze and drugs have finally caught up with him (or he just doesn't need the BS anymore). Either way...

I finally saw him a few years back with the Wallflowers opening and it was a dream come true. My only complaint was he did the slow acoustic Layla instead of the classic rock version. I'm glad I got to see the man that inspires me to play guitar to this day.

If you get the chance to go then do it.

I figured I better see him before he stops touring.

LOL. I was going to say before he joins the great blues band in the sky.

I remember when BB King was in his mid-60s and seemed stately. Even then, I thought it might be important to make the most of his touring, but by the time I really started to think I'd better get to one of his shows before it was too late, it already was...

Thing is, though, I always liked BB King more than Clapton. I don't really think I could ever regret never seeing EC live in the same way. If he brought Buddy Guy along, maybe the prospect of paying lots of money to see him would be more enticing. But as things stand, I think I'd rather save my pennies for the chance to see Dylan before he goes properly subterranean - especially while he's still got a great touring band. I'd probably still also pay to see Chuck Berry, even though I don't think he's really bothered to play guitar properly on stage for decades now, and surely won't be touring his new album.

I used to regret not seeing the Velvet Underground in 1993: I chose to get a good night's sleep before my first school-leaving exam instead of going down to London for their gig. But when I saw some of the footage and it was like watching a really crap VU covers band. Maybe it's better to see new bands in their heyday, than to shell out for superannuated classics who can't cut it any more.

I'm certain EC can more than cut it - I think he's technically way more proficient than he was in the '60s. But I think I'd rather see a cranked local blues band in a small club than EC in the RAH.

Jon Martin? John Martyn? Englishman, played acoustic with loops and much effects, cool stuff back then, opened around 461, maybe Slowhand time, I don't remember. Came out with his trusty CFMartyn and him and EC and band did High from Every Crowd. Godd DAM I am lucky to have seen that. I love that side, that song.

rct

Caught that show in Edinburgh. Outstanding.

John Martyn is the only guy I've seen more often than I've seen EC - maybe 8 / 9 times. But then again JM lived next door so we were always borrowing cups of sugar'n'stuff.

Pip.

I hear you, but in all fairness to Ol' Slowhand, he did say a year or so ago that when he hit 70 he was going to stop "touring". I'd guess this is his attempt at stopping LOL, but in all candor, just call them special shows or something, not a "tour". I guess the years, time on the road, booze and drugs have finally caught up with him (or he just doesn't need the BS anymore). Either way...

Oh I agree that he is just slowing down or stopping all together, just don't put new clips out proclaiming he is touring. But then he can do what he likes.

Archived