Gibson Brands Forums

Hey, it's my 5000th post!!! standard faded mods... (it is done... PICS!)

Thundergod

Hey friends... I just finished tuning her... played her a little... man that peter green mod is must for anyone that doesnt use the middle position at all (I almost never used it... maybe 1% of the complete playing time of this guitar has been in the middle position) I think I might do that to the studio if I decide to keep her.=P~ :D

Here's what I did:

-Installed pickup covers (as someone told me here a while ago, those bb pros were already wax poted... so I just placed the covers and pushed them in...)

-Replaced knobs with top hat gold/gold knobs.

-Replaced switch tip to vintage amber switch tip.

-Installed knob position markers.

-Went back to the original tailpiece... the TP-6 I installed when I bought the guitar was chrome (gibson doesnt make it in nickel) and it was bothering me because all the hardware was nickel... but I could live qith it... but now with nickel covers... I couldnt stand it.

-Some 2 or 3 weeks ago I aplied "GHS Guitar Gloss" to her and liked the results.

As mentioned above, I also did the Peter Green mod, which consists on turning the bridge pickup magnet -+ so when the middle position is selected, the pickups are out of phase. I wont post pics of that because AXE already posted a link with some great pics. (Thanks AXE).

Some of you might remember I always said I wouldnt mod anything over 1K, but now that I did I am very happy with the results, very happy indeed.

Thanks to all the guys that helped me with input on what to order and what not to. Special thanks to GuitarJunkie (thanks for your patience man... I asked 3 times the same thing and you answered the 3 times), AXE (that peter green mod link helped a lot), Saturn (you mentioned that mod first and got me thinking...), Pippy (who was very helpful and explained the mod with details) and everyone else that got involved one way or another... (I know I am missing someone... sorry).

Ok those pics are taking too long to upload to photobucket... so I'll post this and then post the pics (at least 10 of them)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

=P~:-k=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

What more needs to be said? Great result!

If you swapped back two of the hat-box knobs on the neck pots it'd even look like the 'Green'burst!

I'm sorely tempted by the PG mod., but I hesitate to put a burning-hot lump of steel anywhere near 'Marmalade's' innards.....

Can you post a sound-clip somehow? I, for one (and I'm sure there are many, many more), would love to hear her!

Once again, Congratulations on a first class job.

Beautiful guitar Thunder' date=' very nice...aren't you hot with all that hair on you arms?[/quote']

Thanks man, and... no... I am in a climate controlled environment 24/7... 17°C at the office, 16°C at home, and 20°C in the car. The only problem is when I have to walk, specially around 12 o' clock, you get temperatures above 40°C for the most part.

Thunder' date='

What a tremendous job!

It looks like you had a plan and the results are fantastic.

What was the most time consuming aspect of the mod for you, the out of phase mod?[/quote']

Thanks! I am 100% satisfied with the results... I think the thing that consumed most time was the knob position indicators instalation... it was difficult and I had to do it over and over again till I got it right (for each knob).

That's one sweet mod' date=' TG, you must be very pleased. It's a good thing, too. After your disappearing act following your 4000th post, I knew you'd have to come up with something REEEEEAL BIG for 5000. :-$ [/quote']

Thanks! yes, I am happy with it, the best of it is that the guitar not only looks different, now it has one new different sound too (middle position), I think I will not sleep today, I'll spend the night playing...

i dont think u took enough pics....................

Really? I got some more... but photobucket was too slow and I had to pick some pics and leave others for future posts...

Man, I love the LP Standard Faded in it's originality, but with those visual modifications she's a Goddess made for a God, a Thundergod. Does she sound as great as you had hoped after the internal mod? I understand that the pickup covers will mellow the tone a bit. Looking forward to a sound clip or two.

Man' date=' I love the LP Standard Faded in it's originality, but with those visual modifications she's a Goddess made for a God, a Thundergod. Does she sound as great as you had hoped after the internal mod? I understand that the pickup covers will mellow the tone a bit. Looking forward to a sound clip or two.[/quote']

Thanks man, I apreciate it. I think the P.G. mod is great, it gives me a new tone to use, I never liked the middle position anyway, so I wont miss it.

Archived