Gibson Brands Forums

Original Bridge Pins for 2014 J35!

SouthwestGuy

Maury has spoken.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/bridge_pins_effect_on_tone

Hmmmm, I wonder if there is any correlation of price paid for said bridge pins and "tone". Seems like the more expensive they get, the better they are supposed to make your guitar sound! Plus, those characteristics apparently only apply to Martins! :P Here's a quote:

"Tusq can add a moderate amount of treble, sustain, clarity & volume to your Martin.

Bone offers everything Tusq provides, but in bigger doses.

Ebony can add bass and warmth to your Martin, along with a signifigant increase in sustain & volume.

Buffalo Horn sounds almost identical to bone, and is a great choice if you want a dark looking pin with bone tone.

Walrus Jawbone offers the fundamental tone of bone but with better overtones & fatter harmonics.

Mammoth Ivory can add sustain, volume, and a transparent richness to your guitar, with an increase in harmonics & overtones!

Walrus Ivory provides the greatest increase in volume, sustain & clarity among all the pin choices. Some high end guitars actually ship with FWI as standard equipment!"

Hmmmm, I wonder if there is any correlation of price paid for said bridge pins and "tone". Seems like the more expensive they get, the better they are supposed to make your guitar sound! Plus, those characteristics apparently only apply to Martins! :P Here's a quote:

"Tusq can add a moderate amount of treble, sustain, clarity & volume to your Martin.

Bone offers everything Tusq provides, but in bigger doses.

Ebony can add bass and warmth to your Martin, along with a signifigant increase in sustain & volume.

Buffalo Horn sounds almost identical to bone, and is a great choice if you want a dark looking pin with bone tone.

Walrus Jawbone offers the fundamental tone of bone but with better overtones & fatter harmonics.

Mammoth Ivory can add sustain, volume, and a transparent richness to your guitar, with an increase in harmonics & overtones!

Walrus Ivory provides the greatest increase in volume, sustain & clarity among all the pin choices. Some high end guitars actually ship with FWI as standard equipment!"

I have Martins and Gibsons both with bone pins, no the bone pins do not discriminate.

Bridge Pins Matter

https://www.premierg...New_Bridge_Pins

Fair enough. Works both ways. I have some guitars that to my ear respond best with the factory plastic and then some with virtually every material but brass. I still like rosewood or ebony on many of my guitars. Proper size & fit sure counts .When it comes to tone, every guitar is an individual as to which pin type pleases the player's ear. edit: and eye. edit #2: op, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Slightly OT for this thread, but would the pre-Tusq bridge pins fit more securely in the bridge? On my J-15, the bridge pins and saddle are somewhat loose - they fall out when the strings are off and the guitar is turned upside down. I'd like to get some that fit a little more securely.

Slightly OT for this thread, but would the pre-Tusq bridge pins fit more securely in the bridge? On my J-15, the bridge pins and saddle are somewhat loose - they fall out when the strings are off and the guitar is turned upside down. I'd like to get some that fit a little more securely.

Saddle and pins shouldn't fall out when guitar is inverted. Make sure it is properly humidified before looking for larger pins and a larger saddle.

The problem is Gibson doesn't taper their holes.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Victory-Guitar-Shop-278179168883771/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1236240893077589

Saddle and pins shouldn't fall out when guitar is inverted. Make sure it is properly humidified before looking for larger pins and a larger saddle.

Living where I do, humidity is not an issue. The lowest it's gotten this winter is 40% and that's measuring right under the heat vent. Typically it's been in the 45-55% range.

This has been how the saddle and pins behaved from day 1 of getting the guitar, so I think it's just that the saddle and pins are too small for the guitar.

Archived