Gibson Brands Forums

middle position

myspace.com/jessenoah

so now i know of 2 guys on this forum who dont use middle position very much.

I use it quite a bit, probably more then the neck position, but not as much as the bridge position. I love how glassy it can sound. it seems to soften harsh lead tones, it makes power chords have this muddy clink to em.

how often do you guys use the middle position?

In descending order of frequency I use neck, mid, bridge.

I suspect that I'm in the minority (again) with my tone settings : I have my amp set to; Treble - 10; Mid - 0; Bass - 2. My guitar tone settings vary, obviously, but I'd say that 60% of the time I have both Vols set at 8.5; Neck Tone at 3.5 and Treble Tone at 4. With the CTS pots at this end the smallest change of the tone control makes a big change in sound.

The Vol shift from 8.5 to 9.5~10 is easily enough to add attack, edge and presence, whilst reducing the treble at the same time.

This is with 57 Classics, 500k pots, bumblebees etc through a MusicMan 2x12 combo.

I use middle quite a lot, since it's a sound that's not commonly heard on most recordings. I put the MID CUT in on my amp, and keep the bass at about 7, with treble about 8.5 (Fender Pro185). With the 2 Lansing D120's, this makes the middle position stand out, and bridge and neck have very prominent voices. It seems to my ears that Page uses middle A LOT in most of the early ZEP recordings, and I hear it often in ZZTop.

Ha! I was just reading your mod post when you put this up!

Do you actually play any PG's-FM' date=' though? I thought you were at the heavier end of the periodic table?[/quote']

You know... I think I know one PG song... and I dont think I know it note by note... but I like to experiment with different tones and sounds (the main reason I got my tele instead of another paul was because it sounded different than a paul).

I do play heavier stuff, but at night when I am home and relaxed, I love to play lots of softer stuff, from jazz to blues... I've also been playing lots of bossanova lately (actually learning to play it properly, I find it a little difficult).

For late night relaxation with an axe (no, not an AXE) may I suggest Sir tries out the following melodious offerings with his rejuvenated temptress?;

'Love that Burns'

and the best of all (IMHO)

'Worried Dream'

Sleep Tight.

It depends on the guitar and song. For my elitist dot I use the middle position the most. On the Les Paul I use it about 50% and Neck 40% Bridge 10%.

On my Les Paul it is wired so that in the middle position I can go both humbuckers or I can cut each pup coil individually then I can switch them in/out of phase and finally I can place both pups in series with each other which provides a boost in volume and bottom end.

My favorite position/sound on my Les Paul is the bridge in single coil mode and the neck in humbucker with the pups out of phase.

I usually don't like the mushiness of the middle position, and find it unusable in the context of live performance aside from when I'm just doing less-dirty chording or the occasional background bottleneck part. I'm almost exclusively a bridge-position whore. Although after performing the "Peter Green Mod" by swinging around the neck pickup magnet on one of mine I've found the sound far more usable and unique. Gotta' love those "accidental discoveries". Thanks, Peter's guitar tech. =D>

H-Bomb

Archived