Gibson Brands Forums

Big Sale at Fuller's

TheLiveSoundGuy

Howdy -

Long time lurker of the acoustic side of the forum here (I usually check out / reply in the hollow body area)

But oh man, that SJ... yum. Lord help me if I sell my ES-175 reissue over the weekend.

Thanks!?!? for posting this!

Oh, and it's kind of ironic that I bought my ES-175 reissue from Fullers....lol.

So which model will be similar to a Hummingbird soundwise?

If you're asking about the one which will sound most like the Hummingbird you have, then I'd say none of them will. Didn't you say that yours had maple b/s? I believe all of the ones shown in the ad from Fuller's are probably mahogany.

If you're asking about the one which will sound most like the Hummingbird you have' date=' then I'd say none of them will. Didn't you say that yours had maple b/s? I believe all of the ones shown in the ad from Fuller's are probably mahogany. [/quote']

...And the hummingbird, by nature (with it's square Dnaught shoulders) is never gonna have the softness and darkness of the round shoulder J's...no matter what the wood.

Truly missing my 65 round shoulder j-50

...And the hummingbird' date=' by nature (with it's square Dnaught shoulders) is never gonna have the softness and darkness of the round shoulder J's...no matter what the wood.

Truly missing my 65 round shoulder j-50[/quote']

What do you mean by softness and darkness? You mean the SJ will have more or less volume?

What do you mean by softness and darkness? You mean the SJ will have more or less volume?

Square shouldered dreds are usually characterized as having more 'bite' or edge on their sound than the slope shouldered variety. ( Conversely, you can think of the slope has having a 'darker' or 'softer' sound. ) When you're behind a big slope, it's easy to get the perception that there's something lacking in the volume department, esp if you're playing with a group. (But that's not the case when you're in front of that pup!)

Since your bird was maple and square shouldered, the four Fuller's guitars pictured - all mahogany J45 bodies- are in a different spectrum entirely than your bird. But I'll be that one of them- just playing the odds here- is a real good sounding guitar!

When guitars like that "1943 reissue" show up , I always wonder whose idea it was to do the Banner headstock and fingerboard binding. The Banner SJs never had fingerboard binding. I'm hoping that this was Fuller's and not Gibson's idea.

Archived