Gibson Brands Forums

Nice Gibson, not a bad player either....

onewilyfool

Not to hijack the thread, but here's another "sportin' guitar player" as jkinnama says, tho' he ain't playin' no Gibson:

Mississippi John Hurt, doin' "You got to walk that lonesome valley":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgdLVWgU4G0&feature=related

And let me throw this other one in here, too. Skip James doin' "Devil got my woman":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2POWSnStU

I read that Rev. Davis went through a lot of Gibsons. Apparently one of the drawbacks of being a blind guitarist is that people frequently steal your guitars....

I also really like the Big Bill Broonzy video on the same page as the Rev. Davis Video. That cat can jam:

Mississippi John Hurt, doin' "You got to walk that lonesome valley":

I don't know who the girl is, but that's Pete Seeger sitting with John as he plays.

I find it interesting that so many players use that Rev. Gary/Johnny Shines style of fingerpicking, using just the thumb and index finger. I know a few modern pickers (Andy Whittle, Ron Sexsmith and Michael Weston King, to name just three) who play that way, too. I tend to alternate between two and three, depending on what I'm doing.

Thanks for the great vid btw!

I find it interesting that so many players use that Rev. Gary/Johnny Shines style of fingerpicking, using just the thumb and index finger. I know a few modern pickers (Andy Whittle, Ron Sexsmith and Michael Weston King, to name just three) who play that way, too. I tend to alternate between two and three, depending on what I'm doing.

Thanks for the great vid btw!

Jinder

I find it interesting that so many players use that Rev. Gary/Johnny Shines style of fingerpicking, using just the thumb and index finger.

I agree Jinder that is the basic style that I use however I do try and use the middle finger also but can never work in the ring finger with much success. This is a great clip OWF.

Now I am working on it...=D>

Rscott.....that's funny....and sad, that someone would steal from a blind guy.....

Re: fingers

Robert Johnson used to play with a thumb pic and two other fingers (so it is said). When I play his stuff, I use my thumb and three fingers, and I still can't do it. I really need another guitar player to play with me.....THEN I could do it....

Robert Johnson used to play with a thumb pic and two other fingers (so it is said). When I play his stuff' date=' I use my thumb and three fingers, and I still can't do it. I really need another guitar player to play with me.....THEN I could do it....[/quote']

Like in this video of Clapton + friend doing "Terraplane Blues"...

Archived