Gibson Brands Forums

Fake D'Addario strings

Jinder

I recently bought a stack of sets of D'Addario 80/20 Bronze 12-54 strings from an Amazon marketplace seller for around £2.50 a set. I was told they were on clearance because the packaging wasn't the latest iteration, but when they arrived they all had one thing in common-they sounded like a wasp in a tin can.

I did some more research yesterday and according to the D'Addario website, they're fake...I was surprised but not entirely shocked.

Apparently fake strings are rife at the moment. Has anyone else come across any?

I haven't , at least not that I'm aware of

That's a good heads up though , as I'm trawling eBay looking for some bargain strings . If I'd seen them at that price I'd have bought them too

Guess if it's too good to be true ..... you know the rest

Seems every time I buy strings they've gone up in price

100 quid for the big box of 25 sets .. but they're not wrapped , just in a large spool it would appear. And I'm surly sure they'd be tarnished by the time I got to the end of the box

Did they have the color-coded ball ends? I've heard of this counterfeit issue with Elixir$, and tend to stick with a few online sellers, and initially check those strings out by taking a close look for the various details of the strings, and even get out the macro optic gear to examine how the string winds around, and finishes, going around the ball end. Sometimes, the prices are close enough to go thru one of the big box sellers, but I suppose even they are not immune?

It has been a real problem for them for years. Not just guitar strings but violin also. There was a political ad for a NY senator taking credit for getting the Feds to investigate. There are probably a ton of counterfeit strings still in the pipeline, especially outside the US.

Rich

It has been a real problem for them for years. Not just guitar strings but violin also. There was a political ad for a NY senator taking credit for getting the Feds to investigate. There are probably a ton of counterfeit strings still in the pipeline, especially outside the US.

Rich

Yup, I remember this from 5-6 years ago, at least. If something (price) seems too good to be true, probably isn't...

I was taken aback when I found out. I had no idea fake strings were such an epidemic! I have one pack left which I'm tempted to bin, but I'll keep them for emergencies.

I put a set on my SJ100 ready for a studio session that i'm doing today and I couldn't believe how bad it sounded...it's my favourite guitar and normally sports 12-53 EXPs but I thought I'd try the 80/20s and it buzzed EVERYWHERE on the E and A strings despite being set up with perfect neck relief and the top E sounded thin and felt like an 11. Put a genuine set on and all the issues when away instantly...horrid strings.

Archived