Gibson Brands Forums

Smell of Coffee

MorrisrownSal

You know, I always find it interesting when I see pinky-anchoring...I know many great guitarists do it...but I just avoid it entirely...kind of have my hand resting on the bridge-pins...Obviously there are some much more experienced players here...and I'm curious as to what folks see are the advantages are (or not) of pinky-anchoring.

Of course...don't want to hijack a great song you posted...just saying that I just avoid anchoring my pinky.

Thanks guys...

Keith... I cut my head off to save you from the chins...

Besides... why not have you focus on my amazing non-anchored fundamentally-horrific right-hand technique?

If I'm playing normal fingerstyle I don't anchor my pinky. If I'm playing that alternating bass style like on Freight Train then I anchor my pinky. I feel like it helps me dig in a bit more on the bass notes.

I really like it, Sal. Hadn't heard this song. A clever little ditty. I like your fingerpicking. Millions of us do something very similar. Like you, I find myself all-over the place. I think we get real relaxed with our own technique and gradually expand our vast array of talent...lol...There's no "set way" that I fingerpick. Rarely ever do a song the exact same way twice, unless my chance. Had a sweet young gal ask me if I could tab my fingerpicking for Amazing Grace.... no way in hell could I write it down....... Keep doing what you do. You're real easy-on-the-ears.

Grunt... Greg Brown. He is just magic. His style varies, but like Waits he is all original.

He ain't a youngin'. And he is incredible live...made for live. Like Bromberg.

One of his songs has your name all over it. waiting on you.

Thought it might be him

I checked out some of his stuff the last time you said you'd disappeared down his hole. Some I liked some I didn't , I'll certainly check out 'waiting on you' I'm assuming that's the song and not that you're waiting on me 😄

I liked that song you played and how you did it , but I'm not sure about me stealing it. Didn't click ya know ... some music I like because it's good and some I like because I think I could get away with doing it. I'm sure you're the same yourself when listening to things

Archived