Gibson Brands Forums

New 339 Studio owner

Jim__H

Hi again,

Starting a new thread on this as it looks like the old one is not updating new posts for some reason. I did pick up my new 339 Studio on Thursday and I am really happy with it. I said I would take some measurements and post a little video so you could all see how this guitar performs out of the box. The measurements seem to be very close to a set of specs that I found on another board, posted below. And I am loving the sound that is coming out of the guitar.

Here is the post with Gibson factory specs:

Hi I'm David the final inspector at Gibson Memphis. I can give you the factory spec info. on our setups. You will need a mechanics rule to do this properly.

To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E.

ACTION: fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64". Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.

Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64", neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".

Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut notch.

I took measurements using a machinist's steel rule and feeler gauges. I tried pasting a table with both sets of numbers but the formatting doesn't work out. Needless to say my measurements were very close to spec. It sure looks like the factory did a good job setting my guitar up. Intonation on a couple of strings is slightly off.

Here is a little video that hopefully gives a clue about the sound:

So the plan is still to take the guitar to my tech and have him check it out and do a setup if needed. I'll let you all know how that comes out.

Well she sure is nice and shiny too!! Congrats and it sounds very bright. I like it. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of her. Yes they have moved your original thread over to the gibson memphis area of the forum.

Well she sure is nice and shiny too!! Congrats and it sounds very bright. I like it. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of her. Yes they have moved your original thread over to the gibson memphis area of the forum.

Ah, ok. I suppose this one should be moved over there too.

The bridge pickup has a nice bite to it.

I thought I had already responded, or maybe it was a duplicate post?

LOve ES-339s. Congratulations on that one! Nice to hear the guitar instead of just looking at pix. [thumbup]

Yes, there was a previous thread, sorry 'bout that.

I had the tone controls at about 6 on both pots for that little sound demo, a bit higher than I usually do. There is plenty of mellow when I roll them off. I am really loving this guitar, especially the tone. I play blues and do the local jams and open mics regularly so I need both mellow for rhythm and good clean treble for solos, this guitar is giving me both.

I took it to my guitar guy Mark on Saturday, he looked it over and gave it a thumbs up, it's a keeper. The first thing he checked was if the neck was "flipping up" at the body, which it wasn't. He says he has seen that and of course that would be grounds for immediate return. He also checked all over for fret buzz, none to be found and then he pulled the truss rod cover, checked the adjusting nut and said it all looked good. So he told me to play it for a couple of weeks and then bring it in for a setup.

I asked him about a bone nut and he said that is generally a good upgrade so I'll think about that some more. As for strings I use DR Pure Blues and Mark seems to like Ernie Ball so it will be either one of those in nickel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The size of the 339 makes it a perfect home noodler. My 335 stays firmly in its case.

It's been about 3 months since I bought the 339 and I could not be happier with it - the playability, sound, finish quality...

I just realized I never closed the loop on the "flipping up" thing. My tech did not really have an answer for what causes it but he said that if a guitar has that problem it is pretty obvious and the only thing to do is send it back.

Archived