Gibson Brands Forums

Basic maintenance on sg standard 1976

YanickRoy

Greetings to all! (Not my first language so please bear with me)

My father has always told me that admiting your ignorance is a sign of intelligence so here I go...

I recently rediscovered my 1976 SG standard (It was my back-up guitar for years: It needed a fret job and overall ajustment for which i just didnt have cash for until recently...) Anyways, its perfectly set up right now, I love it (It's got that 70's rock 'n roll "Exile/Sticky fingers" sound that I love so much) and I have 2 questions:

1)For a brief period of time in the mid 70's Gibson didnt use the tune-o-matic bridge that was use before and after that (its hard to describe but it will ring a bell to those you know what im talking about) I was wondering what they are called exactly and where to find info on maintenance (cleaning them) and how they work.

2)My beloved SG is by no means "mint"; its got years of scratches, dents etc...From now on I'd like to take very good care of its natural finish and I was wondering the best way to deeply clean it ( lighter fluid? Saliva? Water? Specialized products?)

Thanks a lot

If you could post some pictures of it that would be awesome and a big help.

For cleaning, virtuoso cleaner and polish are the best (IMO) and were formulated to take care of older finishes like the one you have with the SG -

Good typing english BTW :-)

Gibson changed to the (short lived) larger TOM bridge with additional bridge saddle travel in the early 70's(see pic below)

frank_Bart2.jpg

They changed to the Nashvile tuneomatic in 78

I recommend this Maintenance book

How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!: The Electric Guitar Owner's Manual by Dan Erlewine

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Great/dp/0879306017/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Archived