Gibson Brands Forums

trivial annoying things online when you have an interest in guitars.

Adam M

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.....when they spout off about how great the guitar/amp is for play, set up, feel , tone and it's they best guitar or amp they have ever had.................if it's so great why are you selling it?

and t match Searcy's comment, don't forget " scooped "!!!!!!

Or when they say it has been freshly strung with 'insert brand' 10's

If I did purchase the guitar I would remove them immediately.

Ah, life's little annoyances.

1. I dislike the term "axe" when referred to a guitar unless of course it was Gene Simmons' axe bass he uses(used).

2. I can't stand the term "noodling" when mean playing guitar. "I noodled around on my guitar some."

3. I don't like the term shred either. I never understood the term, I guess. Does it mean just being able to play really fast? Does Steve Vai shred? He can and does occasionally, I guess. I can play fast and I guess "shred" a bit but that's not all I do.

4. I'm not a big fan of "jam" as in "Let's jam."

I'm sure if I sat and thought about it more, I'd think of more. When I hear the guys say they used to play guitar, I try to encourage them. I don't play as much as I used to nor as much as I'd like but I still play. I couldn't imagine ever giving something up that I've wanted to do ever since seeing Hee Haw and wanting a Buck Owens red, white and blue guitar when I was 4 or 5 years old.

All of the above, plus -

Miserable sods on guitar forums moaning about...stuff.... [flapper] [flapper]

Moaning should likely be confined to the passionate and/or those experiencing undue physical discomfort😻😿

Sounds like a toothpaste ad.

On the other side of the coin - we have people who buy used guitars and EXPECT the to actually BE minty fresh !

Yes. The types who'd return a guitar that they practically 'stole' because "...ick! cigarette smell...!"

Actually, pit stink from non-bathers is more difficult to cure😄

Wait a minute. I am sure many of us are guilty of saying using a few of these terms. [blush]

Guilty as charged on "thinning the herd" and "jam", though now I say, "peanut butter jelly time."

As for the, "If your ad claims it sounds amazing and it is the bestest guitar/amp ever why are you selling?" People have so many reasons to sell. Maybe you are short on rent money. Maybe you are having to downsize and, like me, feel guilty owning a guitar that you aren't worthy of. [tongue]

Guest Farnsbarns

I just seen another thing I hate.

That 'worlds greatest guitar player video' that always shows up in my suggestions on YouTube.

Oh yes, that cockwomble. He's not even vaguely good either!

Actually....the word luthier used to describe someone who doesn't (and never will) make lutes.

Lol..

As a luthier I feel I need to intervene.. A luthier is actually a general name for a maker of stringed instruments...

Wiki says

A luthier (/ˈluːtiər/ LOO-ti-ər)[1] is someone who builds or repairs string instruments generally consisting of a neck and a sound box. The word "luthier" comes from the French word luth, which means lute. A luthier was originally a maker of lutes, but the term now includes makers of stringed instruments such as the violin or classical guitar. A luthier does not make harps or pianos, as these require different skills and construction methods because their strings are secured to a frame.

The craft of making string instruments, or lutherie (sometimes spelled luthiery), is commonly divided into two main categories: makers of stringed instruments that are plucked or strummed, and those that are bowed.[2] Since bowed instruments require a bow, the second category includes a subtype known as a bow maker or archetier. Luthiers may also teach string-instrument making, either through apprenticeship or formal classroom instruction.

Maybe we should all come up with a new modern name for an electric guitar maker??

Ohh and as for the rest of it..

Whats the problem with the word jam??? Its been used for decades, we all understand what it means and its not derogatory or anything.. Whats annoying about it?

"...plays like butter..."

oh, you mean like yellow fat?

Threads that look like they could be interesting and have 18 replies, only to find 2 out every three posts are by the OP.

This thread however has me smiling and nodding a lot though!

[biggrin]

When I used to watch and play with local bands, it bugged me to no end when the guitar players tuned loudly on stage. MUTE UR GUITAR AND USE A TUNER!!!

Related, when a guitar player starts playing random riffs before the set starts. Or worse yet between songs while the singer is introducing the song/band.

When I used to watch and play with local bands, it bugged me to no end when the guitar players tuned loudly on stage. MUTE UR GUITAR AND USE A TUNER!!!

Related, when a guitar player starts playing random riffs before the set starts. Or worse yet between songs while the singer is introducing the song/band.

Quit going to venues that hire amateurs. No pro with any sense does either of these things - ever.

Archived