Gibson Brands Forums

Slowly but surely begin to like my 2017 SG Std T

awel

I have bought end of last year a 2017 SG std T mainly because Gibson put again the 57 pickups on it and because I miss my white SG 61 reissue.

I like it but I don't know I was feeling like it was a guitar I would keep, she sounds good (personal taste of course) but first of all she is not my #1, I mean my good old Tele that's a part of me and secondly stoopid I know but I was thinking except Derek Trucks, no blues rock guitar player plays SG, everyone plays Les Paul [rolleyes]

Plus I found that tuning stability wasn't so good compare to my Tele and as a trio I cannot afford to re-tune between each song.

but I think I should giver her a chance on an important date for us, so I use it for a 45 min set last Friday and listening to the video and live recording, I think she earned her place on stage with me ... and I think the tuning stability gets better, except the G string that goes a little sharp but I can manage this [biggrin]

Other than personal taste, there no reason why blues rock players shouldn't use SGs.

Exactly but I think the Les Paul comes directly in mind because of the Bonamassa, Gary Moore, Bloomfield, Peter Green, Clapton's Beano ...

but to me, SG are underestimated guitars

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm not gonna start a list but i can think of a few blues and blues rock players who chose an SG. Anyway, what's 15mm of maple and a couple of pounds of mahogany between friends?

I think SGs have a good tone for blues rock, myself.

(Btw, I see the SG 2017 has the multi-contact output jack, does this look familiar to you? http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/136336-are-these-cable-clamps/page__pid__1845124#entry1845124)

To be honest, I have no idea what is the multi-contact output jack, what's the difference with a 'standard' jack?

Anyway, clicheed example perhaps, but Angus Young is pretty damn blues rock-y, isn't he?

+1 for you [thumbup]

and lately I've seen a guy from a little old band from texas named Billy F. Gibbons with a SG ;)

"Blues" is a genre, so anyone can play "the blues" on any guitar!

CB

I totally agree but when you say blues rock 'common mortal peoples' expect to see you with a Strat and a Les Paul and ... on stage I have a Tele and a SG lol

I even have a guy that asked me after a show why a SG and a Tele :)

and perhaps one of these days I will shock even more because I am thinking about Flying V, sad that Gibson is not doing anymore the same Korina model as Epiphone is doing, the one with the strings through body.

and sad that Gibson put Dirty Finger pickups on their current V model, why not a model with 57???

Tell me, is this an American thing? (I’m in the UK)

Personally I don’t think about what people might expect, and if I did, I wouldn’t give a toss about it.

There are hundreds of different guitars out there, not merely 4.

The last rock/blues gig (a jam night) I played was with a Rickenbacker 650. - yes, with solos.

The last jazz gig I played was with a PRS SE Custom24.

The last time I played out with the LP was for Blown-Out, which is Soul + Ska.

Tell me, is this an American thing? (I’m in the UK)

Personally I don’t think about what people might expect, and if I did, I wouldn’t give a toss about it.

There are hundreds of different guitars out there, not merely 4.

The last rock/blues gig (a jam night) I played was with a Rickenbacker 650. - yes, with solos.

The last jazz gig I played was with a PRS SE Custom24.

The last time I played out with the LP was for Blown-Out, which is Soul + Ska.

LOL, not sure if it's an "American Thing," at all. More a result of "marketing" than fact!

But, I too, don't give a toss, about other's expectations (IF there are any, really?)...and

simply play whichever guitar I fancy, at the time.

Your reference to Rickenbacker's being (thought of as) unusual for "Blues" is common, but also as

you well know, silly! Ric's do seem to have an unfortunate pigeon hole, in too many people's minds,

as being kind of a "one trick pony," when the opposite is truer. They can "wail" and "Shred" with

the best of them, given the right player, and guitar and amp settings, just like any other guitar,

of that type. So, for what it's worth, I say: "Grab your favorite guitar, whatever type, style,

and/or brand, and play away!"

CB

Air guitarists seem to take this a bit too literally

I am reminded of a Chet Atkins story, when approached by a fan at some small venue he was performing at. "Chet, your Guitar sounds fantastic" Mr. Atkins put the guitar on a chair and asked him "How's it sound now?"

Archived