Gibson Brands Forums

CF 100E Collector's Edition

JuanCarlosVejar

Not too fond of the pickguard shape, but love the autumn-burst, and P-90s are so cool.

Interesting placement of the bridgepin holes, being more centered than on a typical belly-up Gibson bridge.

Couldn't help but notice that beautiful amber-burst J-45 Rosewood a few guitar doors down - Sweet!

I am in the midst of trying to pry a 1950 CF-100 out of the hands of the owner who is still straddling the fence. I will be heading back over there today. He also supposedly has a CF-100E which he might be wiling part with but I have yet to actually see it.

I think that guitar is very, very cool JC. I have no idea how the electrics sound on any of these p90 acoustics, but this guitar has a really nice pop value to me.

The J45'Tonewood looks awesome as well. Gorgeous burst, and I have still not played a Gibson slope with Rosewood yet. I have played (owned) an Eastman 20ss copy, but not the same. I'm afraid if I played that tonewood, I'd need it.

No - It's the size & shape of an LG-2, with a cutaway.

And a whole lot of bling. The CF-100 was the first new model to come out of Ted McCarty's shop right after he got done re-organizing and re-tooling. The electric version which came out the year after the acoustic also never had the laminate top and ladder bracing the J-160E got in 1955.

The CF 100E was the first brand new Gibson I bought (re-issue). I had never played one but thought, hey, it's a Gibson! What could go wrong? I also thought (and still think) it was one of the coolest looking guitars out there. So, dropped a couple of thousand dollars and bought one. I'll never forget how disappointed I was in the tone when it arrived. It didn't sound anything like I thought it would. I tried heavier string gauges to coax more depth out of it to no avail. The only time I could get it close to what I thought it should sound like was plugged in. Suffice it to say, I didn't keep it very long. Pretty guitar but caveat emptor re: tone..

The CF 100E was the first brand new Gibson I bought (re-issue). I had never played one but thought, hey, it's a Gibson! What could go wrong? I also thought (and still think) it was one of the coolest looking guitars out there. So, dropped a couple of thousand dollars and bought one. I'll never forget how disappointed I was in the tone when it arrived. It didn't sound anything like I thought it would. I tried heavier string gauges to coax more depth out of it to no avail. The only time I could get it close to what I thought it should sound like was plugged in. Suffice it to say, I didn't keep it very long. Pretty guitar but caveat emptor re: tone..

funny you should say that... the Old ones from the 50s had no tone either.. I got a couple in the basement.. thats where they stay buried in the back..

They look cool as all get out!

But, Like the J-160E's they were built to be played as Electric Guitars with Electric Guitar Strings. Even though I'm pretty sure they come with stock Acoustic Guitar strings?

Although, you'd think with the Solid Top construction they would sound better than the Pywood Top J-160E's did.

They look cool as all get out!

But, Like the J-160E's they were built to be played as Electric Guitars with Electric Guitar Strings. Even though I'm pretty sure they come with stock Acoustic Guitar strings?

Although, you'd think with the Solid Top construction they would sound better than the Pywood Top J-160E's did.

You'd think but no such luck..I played Robin Zander's J160E which was for sale locally (only one I've ever had my mitts on) and it also sounded like shxt unplugged.

The fabulous flattops books states that by design the J160E and CF100E sounded best when plugged in.So I doubt gibsons original intention was for it to be played unplugged.

John Lennon is probably the only guy who loved his J160 😂😂

JC

I wish I'd have had that book before I bought the CF 100E!

Archived