Gibson Brands Forums

Robot LP Standard with 5A Top WOW !

DiamondJig

Has anyone checked with Gibson to verify this guitar? Couldn't someone just put a Tronical kit on a Les Paul? I mean they sell them to put on any guitar.

Also, he keeps refering to all robots as studio models. I know Gibson refers to the later versions this way, but has anyone heard of the 1st runs officially called this? Just because it doesn't have a body binding (a binding wouldn't have looked good with the futuristic blue/silver fade) doesn't mean it's a studio.

I mean they sell them to put on any guitar.

Actually although Tronical announced they would sell kits in 2007 - they signed a contract with Gibson immediately after the NAMM show in 2007 which prevented the "kits" to be sold.

For Build construction details of all models go here

http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/guitar.html

The 1st run GOR was not a studio - it had a Maple top - so did the Metallic finishes with binding

But the Robot models after June 2008 used essentially a LP Studio with custom color and all Mahogany ans no binding.

They have a bit different tone character without the Maple Top of the early models

Question to elantric - This afternoon you wrote "The 1st run GOR was not a studio - it had a Maple top"

But...Gibson's 2008 product pages say the Studio has a maple top and the 490R and 498T Pickups, same as the 1st run GOR. The GOR has an ebony fingerboard, the Studio has ebony or rosewood, depending on body color.

So...if not a studio, do you know what model it was based on?

In the end, it doesn't matter much. I'm happpy with the guitar and it's tone & function.

I'm more curious than anything else.

Thanks.

Question to elantric - This afternoon you wrote "The 1st run GOR was not a studio - it had a Maple top"

But...Gibson's 2008 product pages say the Studio has a maple top and the 490R and 498T Pickups' date=' same as the 1st run GOR. The GOR has an ebony fingerboard, the Studio has ebony or rosewood, depending on body color.

So...if not a studio, do you know what model it was based on?

In the end, it doesn't matter much. I'm happpy with the guitar and it's tone & function.

I'm more curious than anything else.

Thanks.

[/quote']

Good question! especially as Gibson themselves say that a Studio is a stripped down of the standard with co compromise on tone, but just not bound on the body and the neck.

It looks though GOR and the ltd models are neither standards nor studios as they have the body unbound like a studio, their neck bound like a standard and the head stock bound like a custom.

Robot parents were differently mix raced Les Pauls!

Matt

I contacted the Gibson web site admin

Looks like a major "cut & paste" snafu

You can clearly see the Mahogany top on the LP Studio in the pic

All LP Studios I have seen are 100% Mahogany

I doubt they recently changed that spec.

That very well could be. The ones without metallic finish you can see the grain thru the finish while the metallic you can't. The metallics also have the binding and no pickguard.

up close i can see thru my metallic green finish and see the grain i have tried to photo this but it doesn't work

a quick look reveals a difference in shade between the back and front of the body suggesting 2 things.

-a mahogany back and a maple top

-a hi-spec thin finish like on standards which although metallic is still quite transparent. I can see the grain.

This is on the metallic red guitar.

a quick look reveals a difference in shade between the back and front of the body suggesting 2 things.

-a mahogany back and a maple top

-a hi-spec thin finish like on standards which although metallic is still quite transparent. I can see the grain.

This is on the metallic red guitar.

I have the same finish yet I can't see the grain in mine at all. When did you get yours? Mine was made May 9, 2008 and I bought it October 5, 2008

I think our GOR's are a mixture. They have bound neck and headstock like a standard, no body binding like a studio (but body binding would not have looked good with the futuristic robotic color) and it's got an ebony fretboard like a custom. So, the fretboard cancels out the body binding and now can't we all agree it averages to a standard!!! :^o

I think our GOR's are a mixture. They have bound neck and headstock like a standard' date=' no body binding like a studio (but body binding would not have looked good with the futuristic robotic color) and it's got an ebony fretboard like a custom. So, the fretboard cancels out the body binding and now can't we all agree it averages to a standard!!! ;) [/quote']

lol, good analysis :)

Archived