Gibson Brands Forums

Suspect Les Paul on Ebay?????

Rabs

Man that seems so dodgy to me.

No case (a Standard with no case :-k ) .. And a signature on the guitar that the seller doesn't seem to know anything about?? (plus looking further its being sold by Cash Converters (a god awful pawn shop chain) in Birmingham.

What do you reckon?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar-USA-2006-/252842918386?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Its not that one thing.. But it all just adds up to something that's questionable.

Its unusual to find a Standard for sale with no case... And that they don't seem to know whos signature that is.. That's the first thing I would ask if I were buying it.

And that's why im posting cos I want to know what other people think.. It all just seems a but suspect to me. I could of course very well be wrong though.

Why dodgy, Rabs?

I'd buy it without any qualms.

After all; I bought a used LP Classic from Macari's which didn't have a case and if it is a 'Cash Converter' sale how would you expect them to know whose sig. it is?

I can't see any problem...

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Why dodgy, Rabs?

I'd buy it without any qualms.

After all; I bought a used LP Classic from Macari's which didn't have a case and if it is a 'Cash Converter' sale how would you expect them to know whose sig. it is?

I can't see any problem...

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Well yeah.... A famous signature could effect the value.. And they surely would want to know about that?

I donno.. I just get a dodgy feeling from it..

Maybe im just seeing something that's not there... but theres something that just is making me question it. Then theres the price.. Why start so cheap? (I mean it probably has a reserve on it but still £399?)

And really I only posted this just in case... If someone out there has had it stolen and finds it cos of this then well I will take whatever anyone says to me about it :)

Just another thing on the Cash Converter aspect;

I don't know how fastidious the management are in Birmingham but I have it on authority from none other than the Boys in Blue that here in London it's almost universally the case that CC outlets have UV/IR machinery to search for Smart Water labelling and sellers are always required to provide proof of ID, verifiable telephone number and seller's address before any item is accepted for sale; without this no item will be accepted.

If I were you, Rabs, I'd be VERY wary of crying 'Stolen Les Paul' without much, much better reason or evidence to do so.

I'm no lawyer but you might wish to reconsider this thread...

Pip.

If I were you, Rabs, I'd be VERY wary of crying 'Stolen Les Paul' without much, much better reason or evidence to do so.

I'm no lawyer but you might wish to reconsider this thread...

Pip.

Well I have never actually stated it was stolen.. Only that I find it a bit suspect.... That's why im asking what other people think.

No one else seems to agree so im probably wrong.. But I can live with that.

Well I have never actually stated it was stolen...

Without wishing to labour the point, Rabs, the title of the thread is open to interpretation;

"Stolen Les Paul on Ebay?????"...

...suggests that there appears to be a stolen Les Paul for sale on eBay.

Up to you, of course, but I'd modify the punctuation of that phrase if I were you.

Pip.

Without wishing to labour the point, Rabs, the title of the thread is open to interpretation;

"Stolen Les Paul on Ebay?????"...

...suggests that there appears to be a stolen Les Paul for sale on eBay.

Up to you, of course, but I'd modify the punctuation of that phrase if I were you.

Pip.

Well its a question.. Not a statement which is why there is five question marks after... If I had actually thought it was stolen without doubt I would have reported it.... I still say it seems a bit dodgy to me.

But ive changed it anyway.. Is that better?

It's certainly a less litigious thread title.

Which probably = 'better' if you wish to stay clear of casting completely unsubstantiated aspersions on what might very well prove to be a perfectly legitimate sale.

So; on balance I'd say 'Yes'.

msp_smile.gif

A 2006 with no holes drilled for a p'guard, though. Interesting. I wonder why not?

Can anyone remember what was on offer like this 11 years back?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

EDIT : It has thin binding in the cutaway; round-point traps; a Nash' T-o-M; a one-piece back; single-ring vintage Klusons...etc..etc...

Is it a Standard Faded with a pair of covers added to the p'ups? If so then it's a rather desirable model!

Which probably = 'better' if you wish to stay clear of casting completely unsubstantiated aspersions on what might very well prove to be a perfectly legitimate sale.

msp_smile.gif

A 2006 with no holes drilled for a p'guard, though. Interesting. I wonder why not?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

I think its a LP Standard Faded... LOVE those guitars

msp_smile.gif

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

I'd say 'No' re the thread title, cos I just saw it for the first time and assumed it meant suspect in terms of being a fake, so was looking at it from that perspective and missed the whole point about Rabs' fears of theft until reading back to try and see why it was condiered fake. We have CC's here all over the place and I wouldn't expect them to know specifics of guitars and signatures any more than about TV's and push bikes.

I think its a LP Standard Faded... LOVE those guitars

Yes; I was checking out exactly the same stuff whilst you were making your post.

msp_thumbup.gif

A 2006/07 could be either Swiss-Cheesed or Chambered but, really, who cares? They are great guitars!

Looks slightly too glossy, perhaps, but after 10 years of clean'n'polishing I'd expect it to be like that anyhow.

I might place a reasonable bid just for a hoot....

Pip.

EDIT : Just re-read the ad and it was made first week Jan '06 so will be 9-hole W-R...........Tasty!

I don't know what is suspect. It's a faded standard, and the serial number checks out. I have a 2005 nearly identical to it. I might ask the seller what happened to the case, but that would not be a deal breaker for me.

...I might ask the seller what happened to the case...

Well, surf, it's apparently being put up for sale by one branch of a chain of second-hand shops - not by the original owner - so the guitar simply doesn't have a case.

Pip.

Well, surf, it's apparently being put up for sale by one branch of a chain of second-hand shops - not by the original owner - so the guitar simply doesn't have a case.

Pip.

Makes sense to me. I'd buy another faded in a heartbeat. Love mine. [thumbup]

This store is less than 10 minutes from me. I know people that have sold stolen goods to these shops, so it could be. I've also seen cases for sale as the user states that it never leaves the home. I'll follow it. If it goes for under £800 I might have it. But I'd have the covers off before any money changes hands.

Archived