Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Case for J-45 too Tight!

GuitarPlayer919

Recently bought a "used" 2008 J-45 True Vintage..BTW -I Love it!

I also bought a brand new Gibson case for it (from a large online dealer).

Case Model is a Gibson C-192GZ and it arrived today.

Problem is ..

The guitar doesn't fit (way too tight) and the case top won't close properly over the guitar.

I can apply extra pressure ..

But still can't close case and don't want to risk hurting the guitar.

I'm pretty sure this is the correct case model for J-45.

But it's not going to work for me.

Anyone else have this problem?

I got a return label from dealer... Guess I will keep looking?

8VVJh81.jpg

MxbVcTd.jpg

BxFPwfk.jpg

The case is certainly shaped right. It may be that Gibson has switched suppliers, or it may be that the supplier has switched lining material and padding.

From the photo, the guitar is not "seating" to the bottom of the case. This can happen if the padding is too dense or too thick, which looks to be the situation in the photo of the empty case.

I had a similar problem with a custom G&G Cali Girl case. My old J-45 is almost 1/4" wider than modern slope-J's, and wouldn't go in. I argued with the seller, but he swore up and down it was a J-45 case. Sure enough, my modern SJ was a fairly tight fit, but went in.

Finally worked up the courage to force the old J-45 into the case, and let it sit for a few weeks, by which time the foam compressed a bit. It's still a tight fit, but a comfortable tight fit.

By the way, the old J-45 fit fine in all of the modern Gibson cases I have (blue cat fur lined, not black like the one in the photo), but I wanted the Cali Girl. You can see from this photo how much the foam side liner had to compress for the old girl to fit.

J-45casefit.jpg

I have a couple of J-45's that I've acquired over the past two years and both of them came with a case that looks identical to yours. They are black tolex with a black interior. I don't see a product number anywhere, and the only tag I find inside says "Made in Canada". The finish and hardware looks exactly the same. My guitars are snug, but definitely not tight. I would call Sweetwater and ask for an exchange. I'm sure they will happily accommodate you.

That is the new "standard" Gibson acoustic case. The previous one is the same but with blue interior, and a hard plastic handle. It's a pretty nice case. Here in Europe you can buy Gibson cases online from Thomann in Germany. I have a brand new J-sized Gibson custom shop case I´m not using that I could sell, but I live in Sweden...

I hope it works out!

Lars

That is the case I have seen on new J45s as well black/black. The Cali girl TV cases often get separated from their TVs. I have even seen TVs offered on Reverb or the like as OHSC and be black/blue or black/black When I inquired they said that's the case that came with it. Hmmm...

Incidentally when I sold my TV the Cali case went with it. I'm an honorable man. ;-)

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify. This J-45 is one of the 2008 J-45 Limited Edition models. One of 167 made.

It originally would have came in a Black case with Brown lining.. (according to the Gibson info below).

mPHks2ph.jpg

I bought my J-45 Used about a month ago from a brick and mortar store. It came in an older "Alvarez" labeled Dread case. So the original owner (when he traded it) either didn't have the case anymore...or maybe someone at the store snagged it. But regardless of the case .. I am so glad to own this J-45 and very happy with the deal I got.

Which led me to buying a "proper" case.... The Gibson case was advertised on several different sites as "for J-45".

So it seemed like a decent case at a reasonable price. I actually got it at Musician's Friend and had a coupon. So it cost me $125 shipped.

The picture on the MF site was the case with Blue lining.

The case I supposedly ordered

eLOJzEBl.jpg

--------------

But they sent me this one.

NOTE: it came in a Gibson box with the Model C-192GZ which according to Gibson is the correct case....BTW, it has a label inside the case "Made in Costa Rica", Not Canada as others have pointed out their's were made, So maybe they changed distributors and the specs changed.

OjvUge3l.jpg

MF offered a refund and prepaid label... So I am not out anything.

I'm not looking for a "vintage" or collectible case. Just the right sized one.

Maybe I need to locate the "Blue lined" one....Or maybe the Hiscox as mentioned above.

The case for my 2008 J-50 has the blue lining. It also fits my 1965 J-50, 1974 J-50 and Martin D-15M. But if I were you, I'd just get a Hiscox Pro II. It is more expensive but will actually protect your guitar if you travel with it. All my guitars also fit the Hiscox, and it did a great job of protecting the 2008 J-50 in checked baggage on a trip to the EU.

Yeppers. When I bought my mint H'Bird TV from a GC in Southern Cali, I was advised the original CaliGirl case was not available. The guitar was allegedly bought by a person who buys many new from them, tries them for a week or two and returns them 90% of the time. I suspect someone at GC snagged the original case. The TKL case they sent it in was an upgrade, so I was happy.

From your pictures - it is clearly the wrong size. Most likely for a different model, not too much foam or a slight variation due to a different supplier. If you tried to cram the lid shut - you'd likely wind up with a flat flattop.

From their website - TKL is a 50 year old US company, that has a 'diverse' product line, not just guitar cases. Their cases can be made in different countries, most certainly have been made in Canada. Often in plants which were small, standalone places they bought out. Maybe they're expanding to Costa Rica. At least the label doesn't say 'Hecho en China".

If it says "made in Costa Rica", it's made in a different plant than the modern slope-J Gibson cases I have, all of which say "made in Canada". Things may have changed, but Gibson (and Martin, and others) used TKL as a primary source. TKL apparently has grown exponentially, and now has "partnerships" all over "North America and around the world", from their website.

It may be that there are slight manufacturing differences between the current cases and the ones used in the recent past. Sounds like it in this instance.

I have a couple of unused ones sitting around, but I'm hanging on to them in the hopes of someday finding the right vintage Gibsons to go into them. Some Gibsons from the 40's and early 50's came with really cheap cases.

As others have said here, if you've found a guitar you love, invest in a good case for it.

I have never seen one of those True Vintage cases with brown interior before. It looks very much like the "Redline reissue" case that came with the J-45 Legend guitars, but with brown instead of purple interior.

http://www.nimitguitar.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=13334

I have one of these purple vintage reissue cases for my old 1942 J-45. They can be custom ordered from Cedar Creek (they make these cases for Gibson), if you want to go that route. Expensive but very, very nice.

If you just want the most cost effective and best case as far as protection, and don't care about the vintage vibe thing, Hiscox is the way to go.

Lars

I have never seen one of those True Vintage cases with brown interior before. It looks very much like the "Redline reissue" case that came with the J-45 Legend guitars, but with brown instead of purple interior.

http://www.nimitguitar.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=13334

I have one of these purple vintage reissue cases for my old 1942 J-45. They can be custom ordered from Cedar Creek (they make these cases for Gibson), if you want to go that route. Expensive but very, very nice.

If you just want the most cost effective and best case as far as protection, and don't care about the vintage vibe thing, Hiscox is the way to go.

Lars

Thanks Lars!

I'm pretty sure I am gonna get the Hiscox..

Hmmm.

If I forked out for a true vintage I'd insist on the brown Cali girl case

1 because they look really cool and

2 because I'll be damned if the guy who sold me a guitar was gonna get a further £300 by selling the case

Yep.. I hear ya man.

But, I bought the guitar for what it is (not the case)...

Plus, I knew going into the deal there was no original case.

That of course was factored into the price paid.

I'm not a collector...

This is a player, sounds brilliant and I'm thankful I found it!

But in the end... It's all about the guitar.

This 2008 J-45 VOS True Vintage - Limited Edition is known for high quality build.

Case or not, I am happy!

As others have suggested...

Looks like a Hiscox is the way to go!

HWuoa5hh.jpg

Cj1WSJYl.jpg

RqhXQ9Qm.jpg

Hmmm.

If I forked out for a true vintage I'd insist on the brown Cali girl case

1 because they look really cool and

2 because I'll be damned if the guy who sold me a guitar was gonna get a further £300 by selling the case

Exactly!

I don't really care much for wooden cases, and have switched many of my cases out for the molded SKB type. They're less prone to mold & mildew issues, and they're generally lighter, too.

Btw, the case in the retailer's photo you posted (which was supposedly what they were sending), was Gibson's stock case in the early 2000s. It came with both my 2000 J-100xtra and 2002 J-45 Rosewood. To my knowledge, they haven't used a case with the "Tone, Feel, Appearance" logo in many years.

Archived