Gibson Brands Forums

Cool memorabilia

Lars68

Lars yea that's a nice thing - especially when you're a big fan like yourself.The non musical nature makes it better to me.

Sal I'm curious is baseball considered "the American Game" more than football? Seems to have more folklore attached from my outsider's observation...ie only TV,books and movies.

I will chime in...

Baseball has historically been known as America's official pastime. It still is! However, in more recent years football has gotten a lot more attention due to its physical combat traits and commercialization as opposed to baseball's nuances. But in my book, baseball is still far better and a thinking person's game. Plus...I am from Chicagoland where the Chicago Cubs at last after 108 years won the World Series and no sports excitement beats that!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Baseball moves slow. In today's world of speed and 140 characters, it's losing its luster. It will always be my favorite sport, for that rhythm. And I remember watching Yankee games on an 11inch black and white with rabbit ears, with my younger brother, in our room, on hot summer nights with the windows open. And it makes me long for the past, and simpler times.

George Carlin has a great comedy routine talking about the difference between football and baseball...

The Great American Pastime

In Springtime a young man's fancy turns to thought of love ... and baseball.

Sadly - the physicality of football and basketball have caused many to prefer those sports.

Ironically, they eschew hockey because it's too violent!

Baseball - ten minutes of action packed into two hours!

I picked up my Season Tickets this past Saturday for our city's Minor League team. First home game is in 2 weeks - can't wait.

Like Sal, I watched Yankee, (Giants and Dodgers) games on our B&W TV (antenna strapped to the chimney) on weekends with my father in the living room.

Put me in coach... look at me ... I can be ... centerfield !

Yeah, baseball has always been my favorite sport. "Everyman's game. A comparatively easy-gone competition. My dad saw Ruth and Gehrig play. I idolized those guys and many more. Today, seems like there are a lot of "prima donnas" in the sport, but I still enjoy watching a game now and then.. "My son-in-law has 3 shoe boxes of baseball cards from the 50's, left to him by his dad. He's in the process of selling them to dealers. Lots of $$$$$$ in those pieces of cardboard. Like guitar collectors, baseball card collectors pass a lot of money around.

I guess Cricket in Australia holds a similar place to baseball for you fellers.It still has a mystique despite it's commercialization in recent years.There are short forms which have been developed for TV.But the jewel of the crown still exists in it's long term form.Test cricket between countries played over 5 days.Each team having two innings.It would be uncommon for someone to go to all 5 days of a test.Usually just one.

Full of arcane terminology and nuance.As you say...Thinking Man's game

Field positions such as - Silly Mid on, Deep third man, Slip, Gully, Fine leg,Deep cover.

Bowling (ie pitching) variations such as Wrong'un, Chinaman,Reverse Swing, Leg Break,Seamer, Arm ball, Zootra,Googlie, Finger spin,Bouncer,Yorker.

Batting strokes such as - Leg cut, Cover drive,Reverse sweep,French cut,Hook,Pull.

Endless statistics to analyse performance.

When I was a kid it was a big deal to listen to the "Ashes" series overnight in bed on your transistor.Australia v England.When played in England it was on in the early hours in Australia.

Many professional/international cricketers here have played baseball in the off season.

Yes, baseball is an interesting sport. Even though I'm Swedish and the game is not played much here, I know the details and terms of the game. I used to follow the Atlanta Braves in the early to mid 90's. Are they any good these days? I have watched some cricket too and know the basic rules and terms, but not the fine details. My sport has always been tennis, and I used to compete at at reasonably high level. Not anymore, though.

As for the Townes van Zandt yearbook, I hope it finds its way here safely and as advertized. I liked it and thought it was fairly cheap at $28, so not much risk involved.

Next up, I will go buy Johnny Cash's D-45. I have $30 set aside... [biggrin]

Lars

Yes, baseball is an interesting sport. Even though I'm Swedish and the game is not played much here, I know the details and terms of the game. I used to follow the Atlanta Braves in the early to mid 90's. Are they any good these days? I have watched some cricket too and know the basic rules and terms, but not the fine details. My sport has always been tennis, and I used to compete at at reasonably high level. Not anymore, though.

As for the Townes van Zandt yearbook, I hope it finds its way here safely and as advertized. I liked it and thought it was fairly cheap at $28, so not much risk involved.

Next up, I will go buy Johnny Cash's D-45. I have $30 set aside... [biggrin]

Lars

So tennis is your game eh Lars.You aren't really Bjorn Borg or mats Wilander are you? I know they both play guitar [biggrin]

Baseball moves slow. In today's world of speed and 140 characters, it's losing its luster. It will always be my favorite sport, for that rhythm. And I remember watching Yankee games on an 11inch black and white with rabbit ears, with my younger brother, in our room, on hot summer nights with the windows open. And it makes me long for the past, and simpler times.

George Carlin has a great comedy routine talking about the difference between football and baseball...

I agree with you on Baseball being my favorite as well. The sport is losing luster but still the greatest game in my opinion. Carlin's routine was classic.

Archived