Gibson Brands Forums

Top Crack repair - DIY or to a luthier?

MorrisrownSal

Wonder how many bankers were singing woody guthrie tunes

I was a banker for 40 years before I retired last March and I was doing Woody Guthrie tunes then and still doing them now. Don't believe the media's or politician's version of all bankers. Most of us were/are hardworking people trying to make a living to support our families, honest folks, and yes...we were working our tails off to try to get the economy back on track during the past Great Recession.

Plus, I still am a volunteer board advisor to a not for profit group that focuses on helping the homeless get back on their feet as I was the past six years.

I have personally witnessed a whole lot of "financial or banker types" doing our fair share to help the causes Woody Guthrie sang/wrote about.

Just my two cents on needless stereotyping...

QM aka Banker Jeff and Jazzman Jeff

Were it my guitar (and I love spending other people's money...) I'd get it professionally repaired. If the guitar sounds great, you owe it to the guitar to keep it in great shape.

That said, it's a beautiful guitar. I've had my eye on the Faridas and everything I've read or heard about them has been positive. Were I to get another guitar, it's probably the route I'd go....

I was a banker for 40 years before I retired last March and I was doing Woody Guthrie tunes then and still doing them now. Don't believe the media's or politician's version of all bankers. Most of us were/are hardworking people trying to make a living to support our families, honest folks, and yes...we were working our tails off to try to get the economy back on track during the past Great Recession.

Plus, I still am a volunteer board advisor to a not for profit group that focuses on helping the homeless get back on their feet as I was the past six years.

I have personally witnessed a whole lot of "financial or banker types" doing our fair share to help the causes Woody Guthrie sang/wrote about.

Just my two cents on needless stereotyping...

QM aka Banker Jeff and Jazzman Jeff

Agree. Sounds right.

I spent over 30 years of my 40, before retirement, in Healthcare Finance. Fortunately I got out before the Affordable Care Act. I started my career (in large hospital systems) just after the ugly warts of the Medicare program began to appear in the mid '70s. (For example, for the first 20 years, the guiding principle was - "The more your hospital spends, the more we will pay you!) Government regulation and intervention just kept getting worse. Regulations rivaled the IRS in their complexity and unanticipated consequences. And then, in the mid- 80s, the Federal Government enabled 'Managed Care' so insurance companies could become even more powerfully bureaucratic and restrictive. So - I'm a big fan of those who tried to stem the tide as the government forced banks and mortgage companies to give loans to people who clearly could not afford them.

TO GET BACK to the original question - "Get thee to a luthier."

Agree. Sounds right.

I spent over 30 years of my 40, before retirement, in Healthcare Finance. Fortunately I got out before the Affordable Care Act. I started my career (in large hospital systems) just after the ugly warts of the Medicare program began to appear in the mid '70s. (For example, for the first 20 years, the guiding principle was - "The more your hospital spends, the more we will pay you!) Government regulation and intervention just kept getting worse. Regulations rivaled the IRS in their complexity and unanticipated consequences. And then, in the mid- 80s, the Federal Government enabled 'Managed Care' so insurance companies could become even more powerfully bureaucratic and restrictive. So - I'm a big fan of those who tried to stem the tide as the government forced banks and mortgage companies to give loans to people who clearly could not afford them.

While I don't agree with your blaming the government for the ills or demonizing the Affordable Health Care Act ( my daughter lives in California and Covered California is great)...I do agree with you on not demonizing all financial folks and "get thee to a luthier"!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Dave,

The Faridas are awesome. Elderly is a good place to buy from period. They sound great... mostly because they are lightly built. The downside, is make sure you take care of them!

I will repair mine. And if a condor snatched it from me, I'd buy another.

Perhaps I need to keep a crappy little HPL Martin at work. They just smell awful.

Dave,

The Faridas are awesome. Elderly is a good place to buy from period. They sound great... mostly because they are lightly built. The downside, is make sure you take care of them!

Perhaps I need to keep a crappy little HPL Martin at work. They just smell awful.

You'll need a neck reset!!!

Buy a seagull guitar

Agree. Sounds right.

Turned 65 last year, and all I can say is thank god for Medicare.

The problem, imho, is the blood sucking "for profit" healthcare delivery system we have in this country, in particular the pharmaceutical and insurance companies, and CEOs with their multi-million dollar annual paychecks & golden parachutes. In my state, one large insurer spent over $60 million to have their name plastered on a basketball arena as the primary corporate sponsor. Guess who ends up paying for that?

There are no simple answers, and plenty of bad guys to go around.

Aside from all that, yeah Sal, get it checked out by a competent repairperson to know for sure what you're dealing with & what you're options are. It may end up costing very little to stabilize.

The problem, imho, is the blood sucking "for profit" healthcare delivery system we have in this country, in particular the pharmaceutical and insurance companies, and CEOs with their multi-million dollar annual paychecks & golden parachutes. In my state, one large insurer spent over $60 million to have their name plastered on a basketball arena as the primary corporate sponsor. Guess who ends up paying for that?

Aside from all that, yeah Sal, get it checked out by a competent repairperson to know for sure what you're dealing with & what you're options are. It may end up costing very little to stabilize.

I'll second everything you said, on all subjects.

Agree. Just remember - healthcare insurance companies are by nature - adversaries to their own customers - the patients and to providers (hospitals, clinics, and doctors) They are also 100% for profit, while less than half of the providers are.

And drug companies. Yep. They're pathetic.

Dave,

Thanks. If I make it back to the U.S. this summer (and sell a guitar) I may do that. I've bought from Elderly before (an LG-1 back in '92 or so) and yeah, they 're top-flight.

Archived