Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson string tension question

58 Relic

Good Morning to all ,I have used Gibson Master built PB 12-53 strings for a few years now on my J45 and love the sound and playability. I have recently had a NGD in the form of a Martin Jeff Tweedy but I have a problem . I love the way the Martin plays and the set up etc but I want to use Gibson MB strings because I prefer the feel and sound it's what my fingers are used to . Question does anybody know the total tension for a set of Gibson Masterbuilts PB 12-52 the Martin string tension is approx 162 pounds in total so hopefully they are around the same . Many Thanks

A bit of a brain-teaser this one.....:blink:

Some string makers quote tension figures....very interesting for those inclined....[thumbup]

Others like Newtone do a great job of supplying all things to all people....[biggrin]

Personally, what with temp and humidity fluctuations, things are going to be + or - 15% anyway.....

I've ditched 12's over the last few years and now use 11's, 10's and 9's on acoustics....

V

:-({|=

I like to keep a set or two of 13's around just in case, but primarily use 12's and 11's. My notion is to go heavier if (dry weather) low action sets in and lighter with (high humidity) higher action.

String tension is far above my knowledge level in regards to guitars. Don't know if I've ever considered it. Either way, I'd just put on the Gibby strings and see if I like them on the Martin (assuming the "new" guitar is fine with the string guage). They can sound and even feel different on a different guitar. Of course, guitar strings are among those items we get fixated-on in our brains. We know what we like and we want to stick with them. Ironically, whatever strings my Gibsons come with, they've all been changed to Martin SPs (mostly) or Martin Marquis. Like you, I just like the sound and feel of a particular string. [thumbup]

Here's D'Addario's online string tension app, if you really want to get into string tension comparisons. You can enter the string type and gauge, and even scale length, to come up with precise tensions for different types of strings on different instruments. It's based on D'Addario's strings, but it's pretty easy to figure out comparisons for other strings. Their round core PB's, for example, would have similar tensions to Sunbeams, while hex core PB's would be more like Masterbuilts.

string tension

Glad Nick found a useable string tension calculator, and kudos to D’Addario.

So, if the OP instead got the 12-53 Masterbuilts, their

.012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .053 “ set on a 24.75 in. neck would pull 151.24 lb on the guitar.

Question does anybody know the total tension for a set of Gibson Masterbuilts PB 12-52?

Are 12-52's available?

Are 12-52's available?

MB lights are still .053 low E, but you can buy single D'Addario PB's in .052 if you want to build a custom set.

When I was a starving college student back in the 1960's, I sometimes couldn't afford to buy a whole set of strings, so I'd buy spare high E and B strings for 25 cents each, since they were the ones that broke. I also saved my old strings just in case (one reason for coiling the ends rather than cutting them off, as well as giving you a place to stick your cigarette while you sang).

It's obviously not going to feel or sound the same given they are two different guitars, different nut widths, different scale lengths, different neck profiles, etc. Instead of trying to figure out string tension and complex match just slap on a set of strings and let your fingers decide. Plain and simple.

1491672463[/url]' post='1848021']

Yes, this is the answer, and will only cost about $7.

Lol £2.50 ( I got 12 sets in December ) Yes thanks for all your replys , no unfortunately the Masterbuilts do not suit the Jeff Tweedy ( too slack, yet they are perfect on the J45 ) ) so back to the Martin SPs . Going to try the Retros next anybody tried these . Although the Martin is a lovely guitar it's really nice having the J45 they complement each other ( the Martin is great for fingerstyle and softer playing styles and the volume and projection is staggering with the deeper body but you can't beat the J45 for Country and Carter style playing .

1491726874[/url]' post='1848136']

Oh someone send me one of those guitars

Thanks she was a present from my Wife to mark my 50 years of playing the guitar and it's our 30th this year . Yes she's lovely and the guitars not bad either lol Here's the Martins Sister

I owned a Tweedy for a while, what a stellar little guitar it was. I ended up PXing it for my 2015 SJ200 which I don't regret for a moment, but I wish I'd been able to afford to keep it.

Mine had a Baggs Lyric in it which, with a bit of a tweaking, suited it just fine.

At the moment the Tweedy is only for home use , I use the J45 for gigs etc , I might have a look at the new iRig Acoustic if I start to plug in . Yes the J200 is a stunning guitar but for me the body is too big , shame lovely sound

Archived