Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood No More: Fender

Rabs

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange that this information appears in one place only and refers to an announcement made to the trade, that nobody else in the trade can seem to substantiate. I'da thought by today they'd have this sung from the rooftops, jack the remaining RW boarded guitars a couple hundred at dealer, Win Win Win!

rct

Strange that this information appears in one place only and refers to an announcement made to the trade, that nobody else in the trade can seem to substantiate. I'da thought by today they'd have this sung from the rooftops, jack the remaining RW boarded guitars a couple hundred at dealer, Win Win Win!

rct

Yeah ive had a good look around and cant find anything other than that article.. Weird...

And I did check that the article date wasn't April 1st.. :) (as actually that was my first thought)

Donno. But then I don't really think its that surprising.. Id say from a business view point having sustainable woods for your production line is important.. If Rosewood has become too difficult because of the new laws then it makes sense that they phase it out and use something which is easier for them.

I have also read (with no substantiation at all) that in 2018 the same is going to happen for Ebony... So a new more sustainable wood will be needed at some point.

OH??? [confused] Surely, there's still plenty to contemplate, regarding fingerboard woods, and other guitar related

wood, on this thread! [flapper]

CB

yea but,, MUST we???

LOL!

I think eventually, this will all become something builders and players will have to deal with. Taylor has already changed some of it's processes to deal with the ebony situation.

yea but,, MUST we???

LOL!

I think eventually, this will all become something builders and players will have to deal with. Taylor has already changed some of it's processes to deal with the ebony situation.

As far as I know Taylor own the only legally harvestable Ebony left in the world?

Hmmm....I wonder if Epiphone bought some, from Taylor, for this model? [flapper]

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-Inspired-by-1955-LP-Custom-Outfit.aspx

[biggrin]

CB

Well from what I know there are still some stock piles of it around the world.. I can go buy one of Ebay any time... BUT I think it wont be too many years before that is all gone.. The price goes up every few months too....

So it can still be had. But I don't know for how long.

As far as I know Taylor own the only legally harvestable Ebony left in the world?

I think so Rabs

the biggest take away from that interview with Bob Taylor was the amount of "usable" ebony gets cut down, but NOT used because of coloration (light brown lines of grain) in the wood. Taylor started using them, and since then, you will see a Taylor fret board with light brown steaks in it.

I'm actually surprised we've come this far with out any serious regulations being imposed.

btw, as an point of ref. I have one of those "baked maple" sg's from 2012. There's really nothing I can find that I dislike about the neck or fretboard.

I think so Rabs

the biggest take away from that interview with Bob Taylor was the amount of "usable" ebony gets cut down, but NOT used because of coloration (light brown lines of grain) in the wood. Taylor started using them, and since then, you will see a Taylor fret board with light brown steaks in it.

I'm actually surprised we've come this far with out any serious regulations being imposed.

btw, as an point of ref. I have one of those "baked maple" sg's from 2012. There's really nothing I can find that I dislike about the neck or fretboard.

Totally.... People need to start changing their expectations a little I think... The waste is nothing short of criminal.... And is why it wouldn't surprise me if that in 2018 they do the same for Ebony.. It is on the endangered list but at the moment needs no certification (which Rosewood does now)..

And yes, I really liked the Baked Maple I had on a Firebird I once owned.. Looked the part but was almost as smooth as Ebony... I cant see any down side to it. I don't know exactly how long the baking process takes though? They may choose a wood that is more sustainable but doesn't need a process like baking and can be processed quicker through the factory.

Well from what I know there are still some stock piles of it around the world.. I can go buy one of Ebay any time... BUT I think it wont be too many years before that is all gone.. The price goes up every few months too....

So it can still be had. But I don't know for how long.

Gibson still uses ebony on their high end archtops - Super 400's, Le Grande's, L5's, Citations and also on their LP Custom True Historic reissues, so they must have some left. My 2015 L5 (see avatar) has an Ebony board...and this '74 Custom at GAK has one too.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibson-custom-1974-les-paul-custom-reissue-vos-ebony/117430?gclid=CJT6gZ39nNMCFeMp0wodnFwC5A

Totally.... People need to start changing their expectations a little I think... The waste is nothing short of criminal.... And is why it wouldn't surprise me if that in 2018 they do the same for Ebony.. It is on the endangered list but at the moment needs no certification (which Rosewood does now)..

And yes, I really liked the Baked Maple I had on a Firebird I once owned.. Looked the part but was almost as smooth as Ebony... I cant see any down side to it. I don't know exactly how long the baking process takes though? They may choose a wood that is more sustainable but doesn't need a process like baking and can be processed quicker through the factory.

I think baked maple is used for other things and isn't new at all. There's probably a ready, stable supply of that. The guitars I've played with that have been just fine. I think the fretboard on my 000-16 is katalox, or possibly granadillo maybe? Doesn't matter, it's fine whatever it is. I think from the playing it point it doesn't really matter much.

rct

1491933389[/url]' post='1848606']

I have a baked maple fretboard on a melody maker which I like better than the rosewood fretboard on the other melody maker,like you said it's smooth as ebony.

I have also read (with no substantiation at all) that in 2018 the same is going to happen for Ebony... So a new more sustainable wood will be needed at some point.

I thought it already had happened to ebony. Its been so rare for many years now.

I value rosewood as a body material for acoustic guitars. My Fylde has beautiful rosewood back & sides. It is an important component in the sound of the instrument. I played many Fyldes (In their original workshop) constructed from a variety of woods before choosing that one. They all had very different sound qualities.

Whereas fingerboards is vitally important for feel, it has far less of a role in sound (if any?).

I thought it already had happened to ebony. Its been so rare for many years now.

Yeah its odd.. While it has been on the endangered list for years.. You can still get it from legal sources and at the moment it needs no certification.. But I reckon it wont be long before they change that and is surprising they didn't do it at the same time as they did Rosewood????

I think baked maple is used for other things and isn't new at all. There's probably a ready, stable supply of that. The guitars I've played with that have been just fine. I think the fretboard on my 000-16 is katalox, or possibly granadillo maybe? Doesn't matter, it's fine whatever it is. I think from the playing it point it doesn't really matter much.

rct

Agree, unless you're playing on a guitar with vintage style (real thin) frets, like you'd find on a 50's reissue, I don't expect many people would notice it one way or another.

I have a baked maple fretboard on a melody maker which I like better than the rosewood fretboard on the other melody maker,like you said it's smooth as ebony.

Agreed. I love the hard smooth torrefied maple board on my ES-339 Studio. Heat treating maple is so much better than encasing it in varnish.

Archived