Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood No More: Fender

Rabs

A good part of it is in people's heads. They've held certain woods up as ideal through their lives and now for them to 'settle' for something....inferior will be hard to accept. I use the word 'inferior' very much tongue in cheek. There are woods out there that aren't generally thought of as what you'd find on a high grade instrument that work just fine. I won't mention any brand names because that seems to get me in trouble lately, but there is a company in Quebec that makes very nice (and inexpensive) guitars from cherry and cedar, both plentiful and sustainable...just no bragging rights.

As to rosewood not being used so much on fretboards...I say, bring on the substitute and I'll give it a whirl. I haven't tried baked maple but if it's not going to put Henry in jail, then bring it.

Good God, think of how many guitars were being produced worldwide in the 1920s, and what they had to choose from for wood...now think of how many guitars are being produced in 2017 and the limitations the companies are working with, both from legislation AND simple supply. It's a wonder anyone is making ANY guitars.

There's a company in PA that makes guitars (again, I shant mention any names because I seem to p*** people off when I do that) that once made a whole bunch of guitars with B Rosewood. In the late 60s they went to I Rosewood. 3/4 of the guitar playing population didn't even know the difference back then. I've read articles from old issues of "Sing Out" that stated people were happy as a clam to FIND a used Ma- I mean, one of those guitars, let alone ponder about what country the tree grew up in.

Times change. We can either accept new materials or plan on buying old guitars forever.

Oh, one last thing...anyone ever play one of those Gibson Sonex guitars from pre-Henry 80s? Wonderful guitars! [tongue]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... my fingers are calloused from playing bass, roundwound strings, flatwound strings and every other kind. And they cannot tell the difference between ebony, rosewood, maple, or baked maple. I own every type on all my 11 guitars. Fretboard material was never a selling point for me, the guitar as a whole was and is.

TC

1491937436[/url]' post='1848627']

A good part of it is in people's heads. They've held certain woods up as ideal through their lives and now for them to 'settle' for something....inferior will be hard to accept. I use the word 'inferior' very much tongue in cheek. There are woods out there that aren't generally thought of as what you'd find on a high grade instrument that work just fine. I won't mention any brand names because that seems to get me in trouble lately, but there is a company in Quebec that makes very nice (and inexpensive) guitars from cherry and cedar, both plentiful and sustainable...just no bragging rights.

As to rosewood not being used so much on fretboards...I say, bring on the substitute and I'll give it a whirl. I haven't tried baked maple but if it's not going to put Henry in jail, then bring it.

Good God, think of how many guitars were being produced worldwide in the 1920s, and what they had to choose from for wood...now think of how many guitars are being produced in 2017 and the limitations the companies are working with, both from legislation AND simple supply. It's a wonder anyone is making ANY guitars.

There's a company in PA that makes guitars (again, I shant mention any names because I seem to p*** people off when I do that) that once made a whole bunch of guitars with B Rosewood. In the late 60s they went to I Rosewood. 3/4 of the guitar playing population didn't even know the difference back then. I've read articles from old issues of "Sing Out" that stated people were happy as a clam to FIND a used Ma- I mean, one of those guitars, let alone ponder about what country the tree grew up in.

Times change. We can either accept new materials or plan on buying old guitars forever.

Oh, one last thing...anyone ever play one of those Gibson Sonex guitars from pre-Henry 80s? Wonderful guitars! [tongue]

I've got one those made in Quebec, I wonder why Gibson doesn't use cedar,cherry and silver leaf maple? Revolution maybe.

There's a company in PA that makes guitars...

This year, amidst all this awareness and CITES and stuff, they discontinued the SWOM and SWDread solid cherry back and sides, rescued from pulp mill spruce tops, and something or other fingerboard and bridge, all of it grown right here in America, sustainable like. So it can't be too important, right?

I've had like 6 of them SWOMs on the way to the cash register and balked each time. Dammit.

rct

Did you mean pink ivory (Berchemia zeyheri) perhaps? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_ivory

That is lovely wood, Cappy.

But no, earlier in the thread i offered up Ivory when I mean to say ebony.

My Les Paul Copper Top had an ebony fingerboard and I absolutely loved it.

I am finding that, as I get older, I often confuse one word or phrase with another.

Well, come to think of it, I was pretty bad about it when I was a young man as well.

I recall sitting at the breakfast table with my first wife, many years ago, and intending to say to her, "Darling, could you please pass the cream and sugar?"

But what came out of my mouth was, "Man. You sure are a cranky bltch this morning. Why don't you go back to bed for a few more years?"

The rest of the day didn't go well for me.

[glare] :unsure: [crying]

Just checked and you can buy a 'Fender-licensed' rosewood neck on ebay for about £160, and a Warmoth body too.

But they won't ship these rosewood parts internationally at the moment. [thumbdn]

There is more to it than Rosewood shortages. Just look at what has gone on recently. Grazing land is off limits to cattle ranchers due to cattle being a threat to the Desert Tortoise yet the Desert Tortoise evolved along side Buffalo for millions of years. A Buffalo is a type of cattle.

Coal was denied to us. Oil pipelines blocked. Water resources diverted away from farming in favor of elusive minnows.

Many times it is just a matter of unelected government officials in distant bureaucracies who enjoy telling other people how to live. Then they drive home in their Lexus and eat a sumptuous steak meal off their huge Rosewood dinner table and then take a 20 minute shower and then sleep warm and cozy in their heated 5000 sq ft home..

The United States has more trees alive and standing right now than there were over a hundred years ago.

We have done an excellent job of reforestation in this country.

What Gibson and Fender and all the other guitar companies NEED to do is grow their own redwood, ebony, etc trees on their own lands, and then harvest the wood any damned time they please.

That's my advice.

:mellow:

Just bought one these,be here tomorrow.

HAHA GAS strikes again..

Get in there :) BUT it is a rather special guitar I think so you probably wont regret it.

And of course we demand pictures or it didn't happen..

...What Gibson and Fender and all the other guitar companies NEED to do is grow their own redwood, ebony, etc trees on their own lands, and then harvest the wood any damned time they please............That's my advice. :mellow:

Good advice, Sparky! Let's hope they start the process TODAY so we can all buy 'Fairtrade' ebony sooner rather than later!

After all; as you can see from the quote below there's not a moment to waste!

"Not all Black Ebony is the same......The darkest wood is referred to as "pure" and has become increasingly rare. Pure Black Ebony only comes from trees that are 150 years old or more........"

Pip.

Good advice, Sparky! Let's hope they start the process TODAY so we can all buy 'Fairtrade' ebony sooner rather than later!

"Not all Black Ebony is the same......The darkest wood is referred to as "pure" and has become increasingly rare. Pure Black Ebony only comes from trees that are 150 years old or more........"

Pip.

Then there's no use waiting around.

It's time to get those seedlings into the ground, and I mean right now.

:)

Pip.

How old are the black Richtex Trees?

1492138727[/url]' post='1849081']

HAHA GAS strikes again..

Get in there :) BUT it is a rather special guitar I think so you probably wont regret it.

And of course we demand pictures or it didn't happen..

I have to find a better site to post photos.photobucket isn't working for me.

1492187974[/url]' post='1849184']

You won't regret it! One of the sweetest guitars I've ever played.

It was not new,but near mint by the pictures. New they wanted 5600.00-8000.00. I got this for 3200.00. I've wanted one for years. My wife will probably stake me through the heart with it when she finds out. Life's about chances,so I'll chance it.💘

Archived