Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood No More: Fender

Rabs

What Gibson and Fender and all the other guitar companies NEED to do is grow their own redwood, ebony, etc trees on their own lands, and then harvest the wood any damned time they please.

That's my advice.

:mellow:

Wait, wait....you mean to tell me these companies weren't already doing this? Are we serious right now? What? Well, now I feel like this is so logical I expected it to have been a thing.

Damn it, I don't wanna keep that rosewood Mustang but now...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Not all Black Ebony is the same......The darkest wood is referred to as "pure" and has become increasingly rare. Pure Black Ebony only comes from trees that are 150 years old or more........"[/i]

Pip.

Yes. It's assumed that we all insist on black ebony. Just for the record, I dont care. It just has to do its job.

My Hofner HCT-17 has a dark brown ebony fingerboard. No problems there. Its tough enough to withstand all the abuse from my nails and sweat.

Black ebony is my favorite fretboard wood. I love the jetness of the black in contrast with the silvery look of the frets and strings, and I like the feel, but I think on the right guitar, this Macassar ebony could look great.

Ebony_FB_Black.jpg?v=1375217477

I have to find a better site to post photos.photobucket isn't working for me.

Try imgur. It's been working fine for me, and uses less characters to post an image with.

Fender is still going to use Rosewood. They increased the MIM Rosewood Axes $25.00, and the MIA Rosewood Axes $50.00. This is quoted from another site, "It is because of the CITES rosewood law that went into effect this year".

• 2 weeks later...

Dave:

Disclaimer: I THINK it's like this - you can, but you'll need proof you bought it years ago. Not 100% sure, though.

Hmmm, the sería number of the guitar should provide the information of when it was made. How many people still have the original paper work of guitars from the 50s 60s 70s...etc

Hmmm, the sería number of the guitar should provide the information of when it was made. How many people still have the original paper work of guitars from the 50s 60s 70s...etc

You will need to check the laws in Spain and then of the country its arriving in...

Yes in theory a serial number should be enough.. But you should check first as each country is doing its own thing in how they enforce it.

• 3 months later...
1492120627[/url]' post='1849022']

There is more to it than Rosewood shortages. Just look at what has gone on recently. Grazing land is off limits to cattle ranchers due to cattle being a threat to the Desert Tortoise yet the Desert Tortoise evolved along side Buffalo for millions of years. A Buffalo is a type of cattle.

Coal was denied to us. Oil pipelines blocked. Water resources diverted away from farming in favor of elusive minnows.

Many times it is just a matter of unelected government officials in distant bureaucracies who enjoy telling other people how to live. Then they drive home in their Lexus and eat a sumptuous steak meal off their huge Rosewood dinner table and then take a 20 minute shower and then sleep warm and cozy in their heated 5000 sq ft home..

Bison?

I think the whole thing will blow over. Fender are still making rosewood MIMs, unless I'm mistaken. I doubt the laws specifically had fretboards in mind.

Will be interesting to see how my V Grenadillo board holds up this winter. I think Grenadillo is kind of a loophole, if I understood Chappers and the Cpt. right.

Archived