Gibson Brands Forums

Pickboy "POP"

BluesKing777

I broke my key index finger fingerpicking nail, well, actually put a gouge down the middle of it somehow, and had to trim it off and while it grows back (glad I'm not doing the big gig tonight!), I searched my Gibson tin for my fingerpicks. Found a couple of strange hybrid picks in the tin I must have bought years ago. They are like a plectrum but with a loop to put on the thumb. Mine is bright red and 'heavy' model and I just made my guitar about 10 times louder! (So you can do lead guitar style plectrumming or use it as the thumbpick with another fingerpick or 2. A bit of fun but probably a string breaker.... :mellow:

http://www.bcwholesalers.com.au/123_278_707-thumb-picks/6332-pickboy-pop-dual-pick-thumb-pick-extra-heavy.html

BluesKing777.

I do both flatpicking and fingerpicking with fingerpicks, and for many years I have tried occasionally to learn to switch on the fly. We generally play loud acoustic music and we generally use picks for volume.

Right now I am using these

but over the decades I have tried a dazzling array of alternatives including the Herco picks like the one you show. The problem I have is that when I flatpick I orient the pick subconsciously in subtle ways, and the thumb pick generally won't move. Hope springs eternal, but in the meantime I am stuck with swapping picks.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I always wanted to develop the technique of a flat pick and fingerpicks. I use real tortoise flat picks and just can't get that sound with any other material so in order to change between flat picking and finger picking that's the only technique that made sense; however I never could do it well enough to be satisfied with it; probably didn't work at it hard enough.

I use the old Dobro clear thumb picks which I reshape some (I don't think they make them anymore so I'm glad I have several in reserve) and National metals on the fingers. And the tortoise flat picks. I guess I'm doomed to a life of changing back and forth (sigh).

Dunlop still makes the pointy clear thumb picks. In medium and large. The large size ones are the ones I use..along with 3 metal finger picks. (I have about 24 clear Dunlop thumb picks in a can in case they ever stop making them or to use as they eventually get rounded with tons of play and are no longer longer pointy. A search on the Dunlop site or maybe even Amazon can locate them to buy

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Dunlop still makes the pointy clear thumb picks. In medium and large. The large size ones are the ones I use..along with 3 metal finger picks. (I have about 24 clear Dunlop thumb picks in a can in case they ever stop making them or to use as they eventually get rounded with tons of play and are no longer longer pointy. A search on the Dunlop site or maybe even Amazon can locate them to buy

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I just broke my favorite the other night and not sure how many I have left in reserve. Best thumb pick tone out there IMHO. I also use three metal picks but unlike you I round the pointy tip off. Have to check mine to see if they're large or medium.

Archived