Gibson Brands Forums

G7th Heritage Capo

Buc McMaster

As some of you know, I'm a sucker for guitar gadgets..........here's another one.......

The G7th Heritage is right up my alley, a yoke-style capo like Paige, Elliot, etc. Lately my fav has been a Kat Eyez.......very minimal profile and it works well......but as I said, I enjoy trying new stuff so I ordered a Heritage. Arrived today from across the pond and I must say it's quite nice. It seems very lightweight but very well made. I like the neck cradle very much.......its' radius lays on the Gibson neck shape as if it were made for it. The oversized thumbscrew is good, easy to adjust. The crossbar contains G7th's ART (adaptive radius technology) which is said to adjust to any fretboard radius. It does work well on the 12" Gibson board but seems to require a bit more tightening than the Kat or the Paige. Road test at Thursday's open mic!

OZbVjiV.jpg

9YfgpA6.jpg

maybe it's time for another capo giveaway contest here........the Elliot I have just doesn't work well for me.

After a few hours with the new device I declare it fit for duty. It does need to be snugged quite tightly but the big, knurled thumbscrew makes this easy. The best part is no matter how tight it is it does not pull the strings sharp. That alone is worth the price of admission. How do they do that, I wonder? Must be in the "adaptive radius" state secret they have in the thing. No matter how, I reckon......it works. I use a capo on all but two of the 40+ songs on the set list, from the first to the fifth fret and all points in between, so having a good, no-worries capo is important to me. So far, so good with this one! [thumbup]

And it looks like nobody will walk off with it.

Oh sure they would, given the chance!

Okay, so the G7th Heritage is finally the capo that works best for me. Took it on stage at an open mic last night with the J-45 (had a K&K installed) and it performed perfectly. I'm impressed. The thing will not, I repeat, will not pull any of the strings sharp regardless of how tight it's cranked........amazing. With just about any style capo this can be a problem, particularly as you go up the fingerboard with it. Being one that uses a capo most of the time it's comforting to know my tune will hold at any position. Expensive? Yeah, I guess so, but so are the guitars I use it on......

Oh and the first public performance of Honeybee went down a storm (as they say across the pond!). Seems that this particular night at the joint was "rock band night". The place was packed but almost everyone there was part of one of the bands waiting to hit the stage. I played third behind bands playing Clapton, Free, Petty, Zeppelin.......loud too! And not a one of the players was content to use the host bands' gear.........they all hauled in bass amps, guitar amps, pedal boards, etc. of their own. Watching all this I commented to the guy across the table that I was tickled I only played acoustic guitar. I was the only solo player there and opened with a comment, "And now for something completely different......." It went well.........five originals and three cover tunes.

Saw something I'd not seen before as well: the sound man was operating the PA with an iPad via Bluetooth. Wow. He's sitting out front with the iPad opening channels, dialing up levels, EQ and monitor sends. Cool. Anyone else seen such a rig in use?

Yes, I heard about that software. Soundguy can walk around the venue at sound check and set levels that can be called up, as a piece, as well as make adjustments to the board on the fly. From anywhere in the house.

In all sincerity---what am I missing on these capos everyone raves about? I've been using Kysers and Dunlops for years, even a couple of those elastic $5 ones at times and never had any problems. They take a few seconds to put on, but they work. I'm not laughing-at anyone, but I've been hearing about these capos here and from local friends who use them and I don't see what the big deal is. Like strings, it may be a personal thing and it may even be that more skilled pickers notice things that I don't. Anyway, what is the difference between a $25 capo that does the job and a $10-$12 one that does the same thing. Again, I don't see or hear it. [confused]

In all sincerity---what am I missing on these capos everyone raves about? I've been using Kysers and Dunlops for years, even a couple of those elastic $5 ones at times and never had any problems. They take a few seconds to put on, but they work. I'm not laughing-at anyone, but I've been hearing about these capos here and from local friends who use them and I don't see what the big deal is. Like strings, it may be a personal thing and it may even be that more skilled pickers notice things that I don't. Anyway, what is the difference between a $25 capo that does the job and a $10-$12 one that does the same thing. Again, I don't see or hear it. [confused]

I suspect some of it is dexterity. I can make either a Paige or Shubb behave itself, but don't do too well with others. Kyser and I dislike eachother - always have - for reasons I do not know. The elastic ones are what I grew up using and could never get to do the job properly. I've tried a few others along the way, though nothing in the higher price ranges, all to no avail. The way I look at it is that once you find one that treats you right, the worries stop, and if it can be had for $25 or less that's even better😎 Still, the urge to try one a'them high priced clamps calls my name now and then😄

In all sincerity---what am I missing on these capos everyone raves about?

You're not missing a thing, really, Larry. They're all just tools, some fancier than others, most are quite functional. I like gadgets.....gear.....kit.....the tools of the endeavor.....call it curiosity......or compulsion......? I dunno. But for me, the little bits are as fussed over as the big bits of the equation........just that. ;)

Oh sure they would, given the chance!

Okay, so the G7th Heritage is finally the capo that works best for me. Took it on stage at an open mic last night with the J-45 (had a K&K installed) and it performed perfectly. I'm impressed. The thing will not, I repeat, will not pull any of the strings sharp regardless of how tight it's cranked........amazing. With just about any style capo this can be a problem, particularly as you go up the fingerboard with it. Being one that uses a capo most of the time it's comforting to know my tune will hold at any position. Expensive? Yeah, I guess so, but so are the guitars I use it on......

Oh and the first public performance of Honeybee went down a storm (as they say across the pond!). Seems that this particular night at the joint was "rock band night". The place was packed but almost everyone there was part of one of the bands waiting to hit the stage. I played third behind bands playing Clapton, Free, Petty, Zeppelin.......loud too! And not a one of the players was content to use the host bands' gear.........they all hauled in bass amps, guitar amps, pedal boards, etc. of their own. Watching all this I commented to the guy across the table that I was tickled I only played acoustic guitar. I was the only solo player there and opened with a comment, "And now for something completely different......." It went well.........five originals and three cover tunes.

Saw something I'd not seen before as well: the sound man was operating the PA with an iPad via Bluetooth. Wow. He's sitting out front with the iPad opening channels, dialing up levels, EQ and monitor sends. Cool. Anyone else seen such a rig in use?

Glad the performance went well. I'm going to have to check out those capos next time I'm in the USofA.

The bluegrass band I threw together last summer played a festival in my hometown in Illinois and the soundguy did the iPad thing. My first experience with it. Made soundcheck a snap. For one thing, he could do his own mic checks and adjust as he went along. No bored musician going "Mic check. Mic check. Check check check. One two three...."

I did one other show where the soundguy used an iPad. Worked equally well.

Archived