Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Robot pick up change

elephant

I have a flying v robot that comes stock with 500t & 498t humbucker. Two buttons, one is for volume and another one is for tone and is acting as the robot control knob.

I wish to replace the stock pick ups with EMG81 and EMG60. Are active pick ups compatible with robot guitars? My problems are (1) there is not enough room for battery in the wiring hole, (2) I am scared to unwire and rewire the robot control knob. I am willing to use just one volume knob and disable the tone knob. If I do that would the tone be 10 or 0 or somewhere between fixed at all time?

Has anyone encountered this task? Please kindly help in recommending a solution going about this. Thank you so much.

Pickups wont affect the Robot system at all they are not connected to the tuning system in any way (except at the MCK and only because it controls tone). The rest of it could be troublesome..finding real estate for the battery would require some routing probably. I havent pulled mine apart but from pics I have seen the MCK has a circuit board at the end, a bit more tricky on the soldering. You will definately void your warranty and probably destroy the value of your guitar. Finally I find another Robot V owner on this forum, if you were going to go ahead and do this I would have it done by an professional. I personaly wouldnt recommend it though.

Archived