Gibson Brands Forums

Does the one from 2012 have a re-glued bridge ?

gotomsdos

Hi, guys out there.

I'd like to buy a Martin D-21 Special, there is one on sale local. But it seems to have a re-glued bridge, in my eye. What do you think ?

This D-21S is just from 2012, so very hard for me to accept a re-glued bridge if there are other available.

Any input would be much appreciated.

[should have posted this on UMGF, but there seems to be disorder with its photo upload system. Sorry]

post-32853-043950700 1492358969_thumb.jpg

Hi, guys out there.

I'd like to buy a Martin D-21 Special, there is one on sale local. But it seems to have a re-glued bridge, in my eye. What do you think ?

This D-21S is just from 2012, so very hard for me to accept a re-glued bridge if there are other available.

Any input would be much appreciated.

[should have posted this on UMGF, but there seems to be disorder with its photo upload system. Sorry]

post-32853-043950700 1492358969_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you have some reservations about buying it. If that is so, unless the price is exceptionally low...it sounds like you should take a pass on buying it in view of your reservations about it.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I would guess polish residue as well. It looks like there is a lacquer check/hairline coming out of the bottom right corner of the bridge. It is not uncommon on Martins. Nothing to worry about, but could be a good haggling point. If I were you, I would ask for some better close-up pictures.

Lars

It could be polish residue and it could be if the bridge was reglued, the finish that normally sits 1/16 inch under and around a Martin bridge was trimmed away and not trimmed as cleanly as it should be. It could also be that the bridge did move a bit forward and damaged the lacquer.

I think RCT is right, residue from polish, or dust?

if you're able.. take a piece of printer paper. and with the tip of one corner, check the corners of the bridge, and then the entire bridge, front and back where it's seated to the top, looking for places where the corner of the paper will slip under the bridge. That will at least tell ya if the bridge is seated correctly all the way around or not.

Archived